Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK license in Ireland

Options
  • 30-05-2006 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick drivers license question.

My brother is moving home from London next week.

He has a full, clean UK driver’s license
    He plans on buying a car as soon as he comes home.

What does he have to do to get an Irish license or does he have to have a grace period to use the UK one. ?
    I came home a few years ago with a full US license and had to start from scratch for my Irish license, will he have to do the same. ?

Can he get insured with the UK license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

My brother is moving home from London next week.

He has a full, clean UK driver’s license

What does he have to do to get an Irish license or does he have to have a grace period to use the UK one. ?
    I came home a few years ago with a full US license and had to start from scratch for my Irish license, will he have to do the same. ?

Can he get insured with the UK license?
    my sister came back with a full clean UK licence and as we are EU countries all licences are treated the same and are considered equal unlike your US licence so he has to apply for a new irish licence using his UK one as the expired/old licence but im not sure about any grace period,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I was he about an Irish License in the uk and was told i have 2 years and then have to change to a uk... But i have got quote with my irish license with UK insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

he doesnt have to change to an irish licence, all eu member states must recognise each others licences. he only has to trade in for an irish licence before the expiry of the uk licence as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

my sister came back with a full clean UK licence and as we are EU countries all licences are treated the same and are considered equal unlike your US licence so he has to apply for a new irish licence using his UK one as the expired/old licence but im not sure about any grace period,

So the UK license is valid here until it expires ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep. And they can't put penalty points on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Got my answer on Oasis.gov.ie
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

The UK license (or any EU\EEA state) can be exchanged for a full Irish one without having to do a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So the UK license is valid here until it expires ?

Yes, absolutely! And if doesn't expire, its valid until death (like my licence :p )

Some insurance companies may act funny when you tell them you have a EU licence ...just tell them to get real !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

That go for irish in the uk too?
    Stephen wrote:
    Yep. And they can't put penalty points on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The UK license (or any EU\EEA state) can be exchanged for a full Irish one without having to do a test.

Why bother ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dan: Yes. At least until both governments set up some kind of co-operation, but with the speed the Irish government moves at I can't see that being anytime soon.

Dunno if the brits make you exchange yours after a set period or anything like that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why wouldn't he bring a car over from the UK - much cheaper....

Also while you many not get penalty points on a uk licence, you can still accumulate them for the time that you do change your licence or when the EU standardise apply across all countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also while you many not get penalty points on a uk licence, you can still accumulate them for the time that you do change your licence or when the EU standardise apply across all countries.
    In theory, yes, unless they lose the back of the envelope they scribbled down the details on by the time he gets to exchanging his licence :D

Advertisement