Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Huyundai Coupe - Reliable / Any Good ?

Options
  • 30-05-2006 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My girlfriend is thinking of changing her car and I posted about it on this thread

Anyhow - she's leaning towards a 2003 Hyundai Coupe and we don't know much about them to be honest.

Are they reliable ?

Also - do they come with a 3 or a 5 year manufacturers warranty ? If's it's 5 year warranty she'd be covered for 2 more years with a 2003 model....

Anyhow - any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

They come with a 3-year warranty here (5 year in the UK). They are pretty much bullet proof - I've owned one for 3 years as has my brother. Neither of us had any trouble at all (apart from tailgate and sunroof rattles!). I guess if it's been serviced regularly you should have no trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I bought my '02 coupe from a Hyundai dealer and it came with the timing belt done, 4 brand new tyres and a 12 month warranty. I've only had it a few months but am very happy with it so far. They changed the belt at 56,800 miles by the way. No NCT on it though, as it is not due for its first until august/september.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are a couple of things to look out for.

The keys will often drop their immobiliser code.
    They are regularly broken into for the Pioneer stereos
    Gearboxes aren't particularly strong, and some Coupes are driven v.hard

Other than that there aren't any major mechanical worries, they are certainlty more dependable than the bulk of European cars,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My gf's sister has a 2002 1.6 litre Coupe and has had no hassel with it in 4 years. Nice looking car and surprisingly practical for a coupe. The boot is very useful and the rear seats are usable for short journeys along as your not tall.

Just be careful of the interior trim, the rear view mirror has a mind of it's own and tends to fall off at random. Also some of the plastics especially on the dashboard don't age well in strong sunlight, that cheap shiny tends to appear in places after a year or two.

The 1.6 litre will not set the world on fire but in fairness if you want something faster then get the 2.0 litre. It is still light years ahead of the Almera's 1.5 litre and will return good mpg. Overall the Coupe is a nice stylish reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

colm_mcm wrote:
    They are regularly broken into for the Pioneer stereos

This is true. It looks pretty clear to me that the stereo in mine was stolen from the previous owner, who then replaced it with an old sony tape deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a good way around this is to fit a cd changer with a casette headunit. will put off most thieves

Advertisement