Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermo eco block - worth considering??

Options
  • 30-05-2006 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

what do you think?

http://www.thermo-eco-block.com/

The blocks are 1 meter in length, 19 to 22 kilo in weight, 25 cm in height, width from 32cm to 38cm.

The insulation ranges from 11cm to 16cm. The insulation is an CFC free styrofoam, 100% ecological.

The blocks cost 18 euro each, inclusive of insulation.

take a more detailed look at their website and see for yourself how the blocks are thermally performing.They say you can save more than 60% off heating bills by using this system.

The walls of a bungalow goes up in 3 days with 2 men on site. You do not need to be a brick layer to use this system.

A 2 story house can be built in 5 days they say.

any ideas on how the costs compare over standard block and mortar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

beolight wrote:
    what do you think?

I like the idea of that type of construction. Going down the design phase of an extension at present have looked at a similar product www.polarwall.ie.

Haven't spoken to anyone who has used this type of construction before but I do know of someone who has been in a showhouse built from it and said it was fantastic.

As regards cost, I think you can give them (polarwall anyway, but I presume the one you linked to as well) your plans when they are drawn up and they will quote you a price.

I read somewhere that the cost is "standard" build costs + 10% but they are far more efficient so you get it back. In theory they take less man hours to build too so there would hopefully be a saving there too.

Let us know how you get on if you get a quote or hear anything else about it.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

beolight wrote:
    The insulation is an CFC free styrofoam, 100% ecological.

Isn't styrofoam made from oil?

Advertisement