Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eau du Toilette

• 30-05-2006 6:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I would like some recommendations for a new cologne.
    Use Some LaConste one and one or two others atm.
    I want to smell different, better!
    What ones do you (guys) use or what ones have people noticed as smelling particularily good.
    I think most smell pretty bad so I need some advice before I undertake such an arduous task.
    Thanks.

(and happy birthday simu again)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

From a female point of view,I've always liked Fahrenheith(Christian Dior)...very subtle.:)

Lads that wear a cologne that can be smelt a 50 paces give out a certain sent,I think it's called La D'esperation.

I'd recommend some burberry male fragrance.Just don't tell people it is burberry!Always get complimented on its smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Happy for Men by Clinique smells nice as does Armani Black Code. Smelt Chanel Allure Sport recently and that was quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Rantorama wrote:
    From a female point of view,I've always liked Fahrenheith(Christian Dior)...very subtle.:)

Lads that wear a cologne that can be smelt a 50 paces give out a certain sent,I think it's called La D'esperation.

Seconded! Farenheit is goooooooooooooooooood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I'd recommend some burberry male fragrance.Just don't tell people it is burberry!Always get complimented on its smell.
    i second that

burberry make lovely scents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really dn't want a strong one. It's more for me to smell anyway. :P
    i second that

burberry make lovely scents
    Have it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'll sniff out Farenheit, Happy for Men, Black Code and Allure Sport so far.

I'll sniff out Farenheit, Happy for Men, Black Code and Allure Sport so far.

You should really spray the fragrance on ya and see how it reacts to your skin. Something may smell good on one person and then like crap on another persons skin. Just a little tip for ya.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's what I do, what do you take me for miss sparkley shoes. :)
    Although not to see how it reacts to my skin, just for a reason to smell myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Armani - lui/il/he whatever it's called. It's in a thin black tube

Smells good.

On me anyway :)

Well, mister who only likes ppl dressed in black, some people spray the scent on cards or directly in front of them in the air and have a sniff... it can be useful information for other people viewing, gawd so selfish, its all me me me with you.

Theres actually 3 layers of smell in a fragrance. Can't remember the proper terms that are used (something like base,middle and top, d'uh)..but when you first spray you get an initial scent,the base ingredients, then the warmth of your skin warms it up so certain ingredients become stronger, blah blah blah. That's why sometimes you might not like a scent when you first spray it but begin to like it after a certain time.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote:
    Well, mister who only likes ppl dressed in black,
    Are you talking to me? :)
    some people spray the scent on cards or directly in front of them in the air and have a sniff... it can be useful information for other people viewing, gawd so selfish, its all me me me with you.
    Sorry, I'll spray other people in future too, like you, watch out.
    Theres actually 3 layers of smell in a fragrance. Can't remember the proper terms that are used (something like base,middle and top, d'uh)..but when you first spray you get an initial scent,the base ingredients, then the warmth of your skin warms it up so certain ingredients become stronger, blah blah blah. That's why sometimes you might not like a scent when you first spray it but begin to like it after a certain time.
    Woah, never delved so deep into the world of fashion before.

I used to have to sell perfume. Crap job, paid well. I used to pity the person that sat beside me on the bus home though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

I really dn't want a strong one. It's more for me to smell anyway. :P

Wasn't having a sly dig at you ...just some blokes slap on enough cologne to fell a gorilla ,yet still expect the ladies to flock to them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Sex Panther and lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Chanel Allure.MMMMMMMMMMM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

If you go out to one of the larger Boots stores, e.g Liffey Valley S.C, you can "Spray n'Try" ..... See which one is best.

I personally dont like the stores that spray onto a piece of paper, and then wander off somewhere!

The lacoste stuff is fairly good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Hugo Boss

only way to go...
    yummy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tar
    look no further than Jean Paul Gautier Le Mâle, it smells devine!

LEMALEbyJeanPaulGaultier.jpg

the ladiez will be just falling at your feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you want to smell different then I would recommend these:

Acca Kappa White Moss (really nice clean fresh smell)

There is one of the South Pacific range that I really like, I think it's the one with the red and blue label.

And the best for last:
    L’homme de coeur by Divine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

The Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male is lovely but every other man has a bottle of it! Same as Cool Water by Davidoff! So for that reason I would advise you not to go for it! Emporio Armani by Giorgio Armani is devine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Armani: Mania... the girls just can't keep away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Beruthiel wrote:
    look no further than Jean Paul Gautier Le Mâle

I agree! I love this stuff! the gf loves it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Armani Black- Mmmmm or davidoff cool waters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Chanel - Allure Sport Pour Homme
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Issy Miyake - Issy Pour Homme

All 3 make Miss Fluff VERY frisky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

My recomendation is Romance(not the special edition) by Ralph Lauren, if you can find it anywhere it think they may have stoped making it. Also try the Paul Smith fragrences in BT's.

Thanks everybody, picture aids are always good too, thanks ber. :)
    I don't mind if everybody has it, its for me, and if it smells nice I shall have to get it.
    Next time I walk around dublin I may have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

my 3 favs have been mentioned here already:
    Jean PG : Le Male
    Clinique : Happy
    Issey Miyake

Odd thing is, I got a gift of farenheit a while back, and thought it was terrible!

I'm currently smelling of Acqua Di gio by Armani. Probably my favourite in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

My All time favorite ones would be:

Issey Miyaki
    Armani (Giorgia Armani, not all the other new ones)
    Drakkar
    Givenchy (The new one, brown top bottle)
    Romance (Ralph Lauren)

Although theres different ones your supposed to wear during the night, day, summer and winter. They tend to blend with your natural odour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

very valentino
    i think its armani

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

base2 wrote:
    Sex Panther and lots of it.
    smells like a used diaper filled with ..indian food
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Day wear-issey Miyake blue.i think the origional can be too overpowering and smells a bit too girly.Happy and Allure are also good.
    Evening Wear-thierey Muller Amen.Its pretty strong when it first goes on but settles down after a while,very destinctive,smells great.Dont like Fahrenheist its as common as muck.
    Try something different instead of the usaul bandwagon of hugo boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

i would insist you buy issey miyake..........for def!!!

makes girls faint!:D

i would insist you buy issey miyake..........for def!!!

makes girls faint!:D
    I'd feel guilty half way through.>_>

I mean thanks for teh suggestion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

aqua di gio

armani_aqua_di_gio_men.jpg

Its the ****ing best stuff going.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

The new Issey blue is in my next get list ;) its hot! apparently it took yr man 10 years to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I normally wear either Jean Paul Gauttiére or Armani Night (the black tube)

But I've been hearing lots of this Issey Miyake's D'Issey, have to get my hands on it.
    makes girls faint! :D
    Now a comment like that is only going to make some guy on this thread, go out an buy it!! Perhaps me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Joop! for guys, and Chanel's Chance for girls............:p

You mean I should wear different ones based on what sex I want to attract? :P

My thread, it lives once more!
    I smell lke freshly cut grass atm.

silas wrote:

But I've been hearing lots of this Issey Miyake's D'Issey, have to get my hands on it.

Now a comment like that is only going to make some guy on this thread, go out an buy it!! Perhaps me :D

Issey Miyake,the only comments i ever got from wearing the stuff was from an ould biddy working beside me in a factory job one time.
    There is no point in taking advise because some fragrances smell great on some people and mediocore on others.Its actually your own body that determinates the end result of a fragrance.

silas wrote:

Issey Miyake,the only comments i ever got from wearing the stuff was from an ould biddy working beside me in a factory job one time,obviously didnt suit me..I love the blue version though.
    There is no point in taking advise because some fragrances smell great on some people and mediocore on others.Its actually your own body that determinates the end result of a fragrance.
    Hense,"i smelled it the last day in town and it smells iffy but it smelled so much better on so and so"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

issey myake for men the one in the blue bottle its lovely

Advertisement