Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 30-05-2006 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Any CTYIers go to the Institute or Ashfield? I'm going to change school next year and wonder are they the same? My mam is leaning towards Ashfield because its closer. I would prefer the Institute but you need to do an interview. So is the interview hard or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I may be shot for saying this but the general consensus amongst institute students is that the interview is purely a formality, the real deciding factor is whether or not you have a cheque for them. My interview was no bother and I've heard the same from everyone else I've spoken to about them.

Are you going in to 5th or 6th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I went to Ashfield in 5th and 6th year - grand old place when I was there - though no idea if they've gotten stricter over time. good education generally, and nice relaxed atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I don't know much about the Institute but I've had 2 family members go to Ashfield full time before and I've done a few grinds there this year myself.I'm the first in my house to stay in public school for the LC.The way I see it is that you will get the better education in Ashfield, without doubt.The teachers are amazing, even if they do seem a little patronising.However, there is a real lack of school spirit in it because the school is tiny and it feels really like a business (what it is).Personally I'm glad I stayed in my school because I like the whole camaradery and school spirirt in it.

I think what the second poster said about the interview is right.Seriously, they're not going to turn you away!! Not when you flash an €x000 cheque at them! Some of the most 'special' people I know got through that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

You could ask on the Leaving Cert board as well. Soc->Education->Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I'm planning to do 6th year cos its all I can afford. Leaning towards Ashfield due to it being 15 minutes away. I was wondering what the facilities are like because I am doing art and biology.

Also does Ashfield have Debs or what 'cause I'd hate to not ever go to one.

• Advertisement

AFAIK the facilities are non-existent.Definitely for the sciences, no experiments are run by the students.They are either demonstrated or simply explained in class.I dunno bout Art, but I didn't see any sort of art room there.

Debs and grad nights are organised by students.If no students bother to organise them, they don't happen.The school doesn't help with these functions at all, although sometimes they stretch to photocopying the information sheets to be stuck up.My brother had no debs when he was in ashfield, but my sister did and the class of 2006 are having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

what liam said about facilities is dead on - there are none, mostly. the biology teacher as far as I remember from friends is reasonably good though, so you'll be alright.

as for art, i remember the years I was there they went through a bajillion and one art teachers, so might be worth trying to talk to someone whos there currently and ask about the current situation.

We had a debs in my year (2004) and it was,er, amusing. but that was mostly down to the kinda people who were in my year anyhow. The school does help in getting students together to organise it,but once thats happened its up to them. What year were your siblings in Ashfield Liam?

I think it was 2002 and 2000 (6 years and 4 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Er, Ashfield's closing down, I do believe.

Or so I was told.

Institute's great tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

LiamD wrote:
    Debs and grad nights are organised by students.If no students bother to organise them, they don't happen.The school doesn't help with these functions at all, although sometimes they stretch to photocopying the information sheets to be stuck up.My brother had no debs when he was in ashfield, but my sister did and the class of 2006 are having one.

I thought most schools were like that. For legal reasons our school leaves it up to the students and it always happens.

• Advertisement

Our grad was completely organised by the school. We chose where we wanted to go afterwards but it was the year head who booked it to help us out.

Officially the students are organising our debs but we're getting a lot of help from the teachers to keep it going smoothly like collecting money on time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Is Ashfield closing down?
    Strange because I have an interview on Tuesday and they didn't say anything on the phone.

Advertisement