Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no A3?

• 30-05-2006 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I was thinking this during my many study daydreams today, why an A grade is split up into only A1/A2. In many ways it's good, ie. getting 90% should be an 95 points but you get an extra 5, but in other ways it could lose you 5 marks.

If someone is on the fringes of an A1, 88/89% or so the examiner will be less inclined to mark it up to an A1 since an A1 is....well, an A1. The best. If there was an A2 or 95 point option he might be more willing to mark you up.

Does anyone even know why it's only A1/A2? Because getting 90% or over is such an achievement that upwards from there the lines become blurred and there is no real disconcernation between the standard of the work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

They should have an A1 A2 and A3, it makes more sense, people who get 100% deserve more than people who get 90%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Because the difference between 90% and 100% is essentially down to what paper you get/luck. I mean someone who gets 90% is as deserving as someone who gets 100% of 100 points tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Because the difference between 90% and 100% is essentially down to what paper you get/luck. I mean someone who gets 90% is as deserving as someone who gets 100% of 100 points tbh.

Yeh that's what I was thinking too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i think its perfect the way it is

in fairness, if you get over 90, i think you deserve 100 points, adding an A3, i dunno, just adds more competition to it all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The markers usually try to bring you up anyway. If they mark a paper as being within a percent of the next grade up, a good examiner will go through the paper looking for one or two extra marks to pull you up. Hence why so many people go up in the rechecks I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It's better without an A3. Nothing wrong with a few extra points in the LC :)

Advertisement