Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP with BT

• 30-05-2006 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know how much extra it costs for a static IP with BT, i'm thinking of hosting a test site up with my test server, its not gonna be very heavy with traffic or people downloading I'd just like it for the sake of using my server from the internet

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You need a business package to get a static ISP (just fyi, don't know how much they cost, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's on their website).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I took a look it wasn't there so I sent a mail, they say static ip's are free for business customers but i really want one for my residential package

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

From what I recall when I had BT bb and made the same enquiry, they said it's not available to residential customers.

Maybe their policies have changed since, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

you could just map your dynamic IP to a domain

there is something to do it

google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

you can do it with that link
    some netgear routers will update the ip automaticly to dyndns.
    if not you can get softwarre to do it.
    remeber to open your firewall and foward the port to your pc on the router.

download rates for people on the net will max out at your upload rate, so a 25k up will give them about 20 K download, fine for webpages but large files will take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i've used dynamic DNS before and it is usually rather laggy to resolve, are you sure there isn't any way BT can give a static IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea, but only if you get a business account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea, but only if you get a business account.
    Aswell as that, BT only sell business DSL to you if you are connected to one of their unbundled exchanges (around 40). They don't resell Eircom business DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

kaizersoze wrote:
    Aswell as that, BT only sell business DSL to you if you are connected to one of their unbundled exchanges (around 40).

Totally not true
    They sell SME Broadband for us small -> medium people.
    Runs on any aDSL capable line.
    If it takes Res it'll take Business.

Diabolus wrote:
    Totally not true
    They sell SME Broadband for us small -> medium people.
    Runs on any aDSL capable line.
    If it takes Res it'll take Business.
    Don't get me wrong and I'm not trying to start an argument but are you sure you're line isn't unbundled by BT? I know it would be connected to an Eircom exchange but it may be one of the exchanges that BT have equipment in.
    Anytime I check my line in the BT Business line checker, the only options I'm given is "Order LLU". But maybe thats because I'm connected to an unbundled exchange?
    If I'm wrong I'll happily stand corrected:)
    BT order page:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Sorry if i was snappy man.
    Tbh i dunno about the benefits of being on an LLU but they do sell BB to those not on their LLU exchanges.

The only way to know is to like ring them i suppose.
    As far as i remember it worked out at 10 extra for Business BB with a static IP.
    One of the guys on irc has one.. wish i could remember who.

Diabolus wrote:
    Sorry if i was snappy man.
    No worries. I didn't think you were btw.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i think static ip's should be mandatory on request. especially seen as broadband's supposed to be always on - it makes VOIP much easier. a side effect would be ridding the local loop of the PPPoE blot on the landscape. especially once IPv6 comes on stream there'll be enough IP's for your wireless mouse to have its own publicly routable address.

Advertisement