Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just wondering??

Options
  • 30-05-2006 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I seen this yoke
    http://www.mrhoot.com/categories.asp?cat=19
    Its some sort of tuning box that plugs into the car to give it a better power curve as I find the car sluggish at times.
    It seemingly gives a 25% bhp boost, but all I want to know if all this is a lot of pants.
    Btw its a 206 1.4 HDi that I drive, so is there any tips to make the car a bit better or is something need checking??

Cheers for the help ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

so any ideas? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Looks a bit ropey to me..
    It say its the same job as getting the car chipped, I wouldnt risk it..
    Id rather get a car with a bigger engine than screwing that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you looked at re-mapping? Not too sure if I want to do it to mine as fuel economy is a bigger issue than performance for me, but this site may give you some info: http://www.autoremap.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Looks a bit ropey to me..
    It say its the same job as getting the car chipped, I wouldnt risk it..
    Id rather get a car with a bigger engine than screwing that one up.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sparky check out www.tuningbox.com if you want to go down the tuning box route.

Has anyone actually used these units, any experiance
    Id rather have something like a tuning box rather than messing with the actual cars computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Essentially a tuning box works by fooling the cars ECU to allow it burn more fuel, no more or less. The gains on paper can be pretty impressive, but I don't know how they translate in real life. People justify them on the basis that manufacturers build in tolerances into the engine first day for people who live in subsaharan africa and/or never service the car.

When you do plug in a tuning box you run the risk of making complete sh1te of your injectors, which with a HDi would be a serious problem indeed. The car may also overfuel, resulting in plumes of black smoke and sometimes worse.

A remap is the better option, but still invalidates your warranty and still you run the risk of all the above. The only difference being a little more thought has to go into developing a remap so the chances are it will be a more successful result. The remap adjusts things like the injection timings, rail pressure, and turbo boost.

At the end of the day though you are placing more strain on your engine, and on the balance of averages it will die sooner (how much sooner I don't know, but if the rail pressure is increased (from a stock 1500psi!!), the injectors are doing more work and there is more load on the engine, it is a certainty). It will also be less fuel efficient

As you can guess I am not a fan of diesel engine tuning at all; but maybe this is because I have seen too many idiots making crap of their NewHolland 7840 (tractor) by twisting the screw on the fuel pump too much.

LOL, nah this whole thing came about because I really just find the car sluggish, and then other times it can be like a rocket.
    It got serviced in January. Has a turbo etc, but I suppose its because its a 1.4
    While we are on the subject of common rail diesel, what is a common rail diesel, how different is it than a what id assume a normal diesel engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

It might be something wrong with the car? Does it just feel like it is losing power sometimes?

A "normal" diesel engine has a distributor type fuel pump. It pumps the diesel into the injectors in the correct amounts at the right time using a principle known as black magic. They are generally entirely mechanical, and despite their horrendous amount of turning bits and springs they are extremely reliable.

A "common rail" diesel works on an entirely different principle. The fuel pump is simple, and only has the job of compressing the diesel, although it does so to about 1500psi. The diesel is collected at this high pressue in "the rail" which is merely a small storage area to which all the injectors are connected. Unlike a normal diesel the injectors actually do the work of governing the fuel supply, they have little valves which open and close as instructed by the ECU. The high pressure, coupled with the greater precision of the electronic injectors allow for much greater economy and/or power as well as lower emissions than could be achieved with a "normal" diesel.

There are also "pumpe deuse" engines which VW make, but these are being phased out. I have no idea how they work.

cheers, seems clearer to me now :)
    I'm just used to looking at the landcrusers engine

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Try this guy www.griffinmotortuning.net. You don't say what bhp your car is but you should gain somewhere between 25 & 30 bhp. Email him as his site is fairly new so he hasn't got all cars listed yet. I put one on my Mondeo a while back and its going fine also a friend of mine put one on his Passat about 1 year ago and hasn't had one bit of hassle. Don't be too swayed by people saying don't put one on as thay'll shag your engine up, lack of knowledge is a common reason for people to knock something. The guy in griffin motor tuning has one on his own Kia Sorento since new and supplies to 3 Kia main dealerships around Ireland plus the guy he buys them off in Germany sells around 300,000 of these a year so if they were that bad or done any damage to cars or jeeps he'd hardly be in business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement