Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long chest/ottoman needed

• 30-05-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could buy a long chest or ottoman, preferrably upholstered? We are looking to get one about 2m long to go in a bay window and haven't found anything like it around.

Alternately anyone any idea on what it costs to get bespoke furniture made?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

MarVeL wrote:
    Anyone know where I could buy a long chest or ottoman, preferrably upholstered? We are looking to get one about 2m long to go in a bay window and haven't found anything like it around.

Alternately anyone any idea on what it costs to get bespoke furniture made?

Hi
    Post up a few details, material, size ect, and it should not be too hard to get a price for you.

If you have a picture, all the better.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

lol you got there before me! Marvel I can gurantee you that Kadman can make the finest piece bespoke piece of furniture for your requirement at a good price as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

No pictures as such as I haven't found anything I really like just yet. Materials I would be thinking in terms of oak with a flat base (no feet) and a hinged seat/lid with upholstered leather seat. Length about 2m. 50cm high and 50 cm wide. Possibly the lid should be split but not definite on that. The sides shold be panelled. Above all it needs to be strong as I'm fairly sure its going to cop a lot of abuse.

Hi Marvel,

Give me a day or two, and I'll post up a pic, or cad detail.

Red or white oak, I assume everywhere. Turning or carving maybe , or am I stretching the budget:D :D

kadman

Sounds great. Not sure about turnig or carving as I'm looking for something fairly plain but when it comes to woodwork I'm from Barcelona so whatever you think is best

• Advertisement

MarVeL wrote:
    Sounds great. Not sure about turnig or carving as I'm looking for something fairly plain but when it comes to woodwork I'm from Barcelona so whatever you think is best

Hi marvel,

Sorry about the delay, company moving into a new premises, revamping machinery ect, late nights.

I assume we are talking about 3 raised panels along the front, 1 each end , probably panels on the back , or maybe plain.
    Material size about 70 x 22 moulded frame section. corners maybe 50x50 square moulded section. base panel could be either oak mdf, or paneled solid oak.
    Top leather upholstered section could be seperately made and then fixed to an oak lid, or if we are working to a budget, an mdf lid that will be concealed by the upholstered top.
    Inside corners will not need strengthening cleats , because of the 50x50 corner posts.
    Base could be a skirted base in solid moulded oak, or bun feet, or heavy moulded section.

Or maybe you have already sorted your self at this stage.

kadman:)

My turn to apologise for the delay haven't had a chance to properly check in on boards of late.

We would indeed be looking at 3 (or possibly even 5) panels along the front and 1 at each end. MDF would be fine for the base as long as the structure was strong enough to take lots of abuse with that. Corners sound fine and the lid should probably be oak as well. Might long at getting a long cushion made for it instead of upholstery. Bun feet would be OK but a skirted base might be nicer?

And no we're still not sorted.

Advertisement