Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas in Dublin

Options
  • 30-05-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey all i am starting work in Dublin in 3 weeks and i am looking for accommendation. I am working in Park West business park but i would like to live closer to city centre and take the luas or something to work. My Question is what area's should i avoid as i havn't a clue of Dublin. What i mean is i don't want to live in a dodgy spot of Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just be aware that Park West is big. I think there is a Luas shuttle bus, but I don't know the details.

You could get some where in Tallaght or Clondalkin, but these are quite far out if you plan a hectic social life with taxis, etc. Lots of OK places in Kimmage and Crumlin. Ballyfermot / Cherry Orchard, Dolphin's Barn and Kilmainham can vary from hit and miss to outright dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Depending on what hours your working there are a few options on how to get to parkwest
    If you are working standard 9 - 5 then you live in an area like rathmines where you could get the 18 to kylemore road and hop on the shuttle bus. Similarly you could live anywhere along the luas line and get the bus from kylemore.
    There is also the bus options from aston quay, the 79a goes out to parkwest and takes between 35 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. There is also the parkwest bus operated by a private firm. I believe the timetable for that is on the parkwest.ie site.
    As for where to live throw a few names at us as to where you see places and we can tell you if they are dodge or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id say try and get accomodation in Ballyfermot and you could walk to work in ten minutes.Park West is a fair aul treck from the Luas Line by foot. I lived there not so long ago and its not half as dodgy as people believe it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Thanks for the replies. I start work at 8.30. My plan was to get a place somewhere near luas and get that bus from Kylemore. Going to spend the day on net looking up places and sure i'll throw back a few area name at ye later, see wat ye think. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The city end of Ballyfermot is fine (east of Kylemore Road), it's on the 79A route and close enough to town too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The Whitethorn estate in Palmerstown/Ballyfermot would be ideal, as you could walk up past Cloverhill prison and into PW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 dublin12

The Whitethorn estate in Palmerstown/Ballyfermot would be ideal, as you could walk up past Cloverhill prison and into PW

yeh, walk past cloverhill prison and a couple of halting sites!!? I know a girl worked in PW and lived near the prison, she regularly got chased and had things thrown at her while walking into PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, there are some apartments in Park West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

dublin12 wrote:
    yeh, walk past cloverhill prison and a couple of halting sites!!? I know a girl worked in PW and lived near the prison, she regularly got chased and had things thrown at her while walking into PW.

Yeah probably not the best route.

I live in the apartments in park west and have to say they are nice and they're always people renting out rooms and stuff.

any of ye know what usher's street, Ushers Quay is like... Emmet Place?

• Advertisement

hey again all. Just going to throw a few places at ye. Hope ye can comment on there location and wat kind of an area they are.

Balfe Ave, Walkinstown.
    Kimmage Rd West, Kimmage
    Comeragh Road Drimnagh
    St Peter's Rd, Walkinstown,
    Whitehall Kimmage
    St Agnes Road Kimmage.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appriciated.

With the exception of Comeragh Road, which I dont know, I cant tell you all that they are grand.

I've lived in the Kimmage/Crumlin area for five years now, its sound, I used to work and drive to PW everyday, you can do the journey in about 25-30 mins.

and are they close to public transport?

Yes, but no public transport goes to PW. There is a privately operated bus from Dualway, that stops at the Black Forge on Drimnagh Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NightCrawler

Am new to Dublin area.What events etc are in Skerries. Want to take the Mrs. there for her birthday.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What do you mean by events...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Am new to Dublin area.What events etc are in Skerries. Want to take the Mrs. there for her birthday.
    Thanks
    Do I take it that you are SandhillRoad, and this post is to take the raw look off the one post you made in the 'Listowel people in Dublin' thread?

Pity they locked it. I was looking forward to an array of posts exploring the impact of limited gene pools on social and psychological development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NightCrawler

Dub13 wrote:
    What do you mean by events...?
    Are there any boat races, regattas. What pubs have music. Have been to Keanes at the monument, so playing pool that evening is out.Dates 7th-9th July. The last time we were there we went to Lusk (?) for an evening of theatre.
    I'll check the Skerries site.

Advertisement