Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zabala Hermanos, CZ, AYA, Shotguns etc etc...........

Options
  • 30-05-2006 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with or own a Zabala Hermanos, CZ, AYA, Laurona, Yildiz or
    IZH(baikal) O/U or SBS Shotgun. Are they a good make, what im looking for in the shotgun is an all round hunting gun. Foxes, game, vermin the like..........

will not be clay shooting with it
    will not be a heavy duty shotgun

If anyone has one and can recommend any of these let me know, are they good or should i steer clear???
    If you can reccomend a good shotgun for my price range, for my needs above let me know the make, model, price etc.....

Im gona have, between trade in and cash, about €500 - €700 for the shotgun new!!

Was gona buy second hand but dont think i have the confidence to look it over to make sure im not picking a dud. I have only this saturday and two shops to pick it from so time isnt on my side, which is a bad start. I wont be making a hasty decision but at the same time dont have all day!!

Seen as i only have three days before ive to decide any and all advice welcome, especially from the heavy shotgun crowd!!

Whats left is for a deposit on a rifle, which again i only have this saturday to pick out but i already am settled on what im getting!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I don't understand the hurry..

It's a bit like what they say about getting married ...
    "Marry in haste ...repent at leisure" :(

I'd take my time and shop around a bit more ..
    With a shotgun ..getting a gun that "Fits" you is very important because a lot of
    your shooting will rely on the way it naturally swings up to your point of aim .
    It's not something you'd hurry with picking out.

Just my 2 cent's worth !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I cant really shop around as i cant travel, dont have a car of my own. So when i get an oppurtunity to go have a look at two shops in the same day well i cant just let i go by. I know it may seem like im in a hurry but its like this.

Ive a Beretta got it second hand, great gun, too much for me though, exceeds what i need it for. I wish to trade it in, so now ive €1000 worth of a gun sitting there that i cant go shoot with because i want it to hold its value dont want anything to happen to it! I have the oppurtunity to visit two shops this weekend to seek a trade in on an O/U and the deposit on a rifle, with which, when i get it, ill do most of my shooting.

But i still want a shotgun for you know those days when thats what you want to shoot with. I bought in haste the first time, ill chalk it up and have no regrets. But this saturday ive the chance to rectify my previous mistake and it will be months before ive the chance to do it again. FFS it took me a month from when i had my letters(took me years to get them) to going over to pick out my first gun and could only look in ONE shop!!!

So i need all the advice i can get!!!
    This is my plan for saturday

First shop
    Get gun valued
    Have a look at stock of O/U's (€500 - €700)
    Feel fit of gun(s) i like/prefer

Second shop
    Get gun valued
    Have a look at stock of O/U's (€500 - €700)
    Feel fit of gun(s) i like/prefer

Decide which shop to purchase from then ill deal with the rifle, but as ive said i have that one sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

why not just buy a decent rifle and set it up and start shooting with that and get a shotgun further down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Gun dealers love customers like this, sure, theres some aggravation at the time, but they just know the person will be spending more money soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Qoute from civdef
    Gun dealers love customers like this, sure, theres some aggravation at the time, but they just know the person will be spending more money soon.

civdef that seems like a good staement, however i would be KILLED if i was to "waste more money" on more than two guns, trust me!!!

I realise some of you think im an idiot, letting the beretta go, im not a heavy shotgun user i do like them though would like to have one but when i get the O/U its to keep me going till the rifle comes through,

Why have an expensive firearm which im not using???

This way ill have a rough field gun for those days im out with it, and a rifle for target shooting/hunting!!!! and plinking as americans call it!

I may have an expensive Beretta but im not happy with it, i dont regret the cost just the firearm, its a great gun dont get me wrong, but ill never be clay shooting with it. And wont be using it as much as i should to get value to justify it.

Would you buy a ferrari and drive it twice a year???
    Dont think so

Im going "shopping" tomorrow, so ill have a pick of about 3, maybe 4, shops when i make my decision, between now and saturday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

AyA are a well respected Basque gunmaker of good to excellent quality SXS and OU's and have become the best known of the Spanish makers over the last forty plus years . Entry level was the Yoeman, the most basic boxlock non-ejector, with no frills, then the No.3 ,a boxlock non- ejector, next was the No. 4, which was the boxlock ejector. They also made several higher grade SLE's.

The AYA No.4 is one of those classic guns that is within reach for most of us and as proof they are one of the most successful models ever sold in Ireland and the UK. . They are very strong and reliable, and rarely suffer from serious problems.
    The action is based on the Anson and Deeley boxlock design, a study in simplicity and strength. It comprises of 4 main parts to work each side: sear, hammer, mainspring and cocking lever. The barrels are chopper lump, 28" long and have 2 ¾" chambers. Usually the chokes were ½ -m- and full. Double triggers. Good gun for the money.

Armas Eibar, s.a.l., (Laurona) http://www.laurona.com/IndexIng.htm

Zabala is a Basque maker of utilitarian grade boxlock guns for the most part. A sturdy, no frills gun. I shot a 10 bore for several years on the foreshore and sea-ducks from a boat with nary a problem, just good maintenance. http://www.zabalahermanos.com/

http://www.zabalahermanos.com/catalogo-en.htm

Is CZ selling shotguns in Ireland?

CZ shotguns are made by Huglu of Turkey.
    Huglu is a Turkish gun Cooperative. They make some nice guns that they export to the US through an agreement with CZ. There is reportedly quite a difference between the guns made for export and the domestic Turkish variety. I have no first hand experience.

http://www.huglu.com.tr/giris.htm

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=58

Take a look here:
    http://www.yorkguns.co.uk/shotguns.htm

Advertisement