Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is The Best Multiplayer Ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Grumpy, pee off with your halo 1/2 (whichever it is) fanboyisms, we don't appreciate them!!! No more talking of Halo from you ever, until Halo 3 comes out when I'm sure you'll be in flying form till I kick your ass :D

1. I am not a halo fanboy
    2. Yes, I will be getting h3 on launch
    3. You will never beat me at halo Keyser :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

On of the Battlefields, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Halo 2 gets my vote too. Bomberman, Goldeneye and Sensible World of Soccer come close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭astro

either cs:source or goldeneye which was ****in savage when it came out, so many memories

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

consoles:

goldeneye
    bomberman

Pc:

quake III - what a great game.
    CS - when it was really popular and actually had mature skilled players playing it that didn't moan about a certain weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i find there are too many annoying spawn campers in GRAW but its still a good game,
    bf2 is great once you can get past its faults too.
    for me, my favourite was sof2, i was addicted to that even tho i had a terrible ping with isdn :D and now when i play it with dsl its just full of cheaters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

for me too. Though I wouldnt consider myself a big FPS player and have only really played console games.

Havent played TS3 but presume its more of the same. Its the speed of the multiplayer I love.

But yeah none compare to WE10 anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ut2k4 or tfc

but mario kart is more fun than those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

you bhoyos obviously never experienced the true joy that was quakeworld...

the purist form of multiplayer. pure class...

winquake wasn't bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Meh on case 1 you are lying and on the other 2 you speak the truth :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

My favourites are Perfect Dark and Timsplitters 2 (the TS3 multiplayer wasn't as good).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

for me it's...

Call of Duty!

The most fun game I've ever played, once you play it, BF2, and all the other games, will be very boring and dull. Then again, I was never a fan of "mission based" MP.

Sucks they ruined CoD2 :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

1st - ET.
    2nd - UT unfortunately ruined by it's sequels.
    3rd - Quakeworld Clan Arena with the folks from the original Quake Board. Ah the memories.
    4th - BF1942 was good if you wanted to spend half an hour walking around an island looking for enemies to fire at and ultimately getting blown to crap by some kid in a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I'm voting for FEAR and COD 1 and 2, and UO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

hey muso, ;) hope ur well

think I may have been on your clan at some stage... Fenians was it? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

chump wrote:
    hey muso, ;) hope ur well

think I may have been on your clan at some stage... Fenians was it? :)

Fenians yeah. Not my clan though. I was an ordinary member like you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Clearly the original SOF. A nice two on two capture the flag could not be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

R6/Rogue Spear
    Quoted for truth.

Never played any online game for a longer period than RainbowSix.

I miss MPlayer :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

1.QW
    2.Q3A
    3.TF

Even though I was gash at all three.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

musician wrote:
    2nd - UT unfortunately ruined by it's sequels.

cha' right laddo.

2k3 & 4 advanced nicely on the UT ideal and opened up new styles of movement to the fps game. Duelling was made alot better especially by the opening up of the maps to the double jump.
    The style changed from the neo-gothic to advanced futuristic but with the different skins still availible coupled with the maps, the game lost none of the feel of the original. they got rid of the ripper aswell and added the lightning gun which made online sniping SO much better due to the 'hitscan' of it and the shock, instead of the packets of the sniper rifle... and they kept the sniper rifle in the game anyway.

new gamemodes (onslaught, bombing run & the third party but super popular team arena master) have made the game really fun for team based matches.
    ppl's main problem with 2k3 & 4 from 99 is the translocator. no longer was there an infinite fast firing way of travelling, but a more tactical tool that really has made CTF an extremely fast paced and skillful game (it was already in 99, but the 2k's made it a much more flowing affair).

alot of old 99'rs still grumble and moan about the 2k series. this is because they had to learn new stuff. it wasnt the affair they were used to. it was a more flexable game that advanced on the original ideas of UT.
    its the old arguement of "nope, its new and not the game i love and am good at... therefore i will deem it crap". CSS vs. 1.6 springs to mind here.... its like quakeworld players who still think quake 3 is useless. its just stubborness and unwillingness to see what the ppl that designed the games are trying to do and where they are going.

Jazzy wrote:
    its just stubborness and unwillingness to see what the ppl that designed the games are trying to do and where they are going.

or a difference of opinion but your lengthy explanation probably makes you 2k'ers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

What's the best unreal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Goldeneye by far. I also had a lot of fun with Tribes 2 as well, there is nothing like managing to get into your enemies base, and planting a turret in the middle of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

musician wrote:
    or a difference of opinion but your lengthy explanation probably makes you 2k'ers happy.

yes.
    thats it.
    it must be.

thats the only reason i posted that. to feel safe that the game i play is fairly treated by ppl and is justified.

its not the fact that the point im making refers to all games and ppl's attitudes when new ones come out with the same name but a different system.
    its not that when something ppl know and love is changed they tend to bitch about said new game and try make it seem inferior
    its not cos that 90% of the time that ppl bitch about new sequels is because they have to learn new stuff and get good again at them.

its the need to defend a game i play. deffo, 100%

as to which is the best grumpy....

id say it goes like this :
    UT2K4
    UT
    UT2K3

2k4 is the most complete. it has everything done 'right' in it and is also the most flexable pending on what games u play. if ur a fan of BF2 and not so much a fan of quake, then there is Onslaught. If u play CSS and not CoD or BF, then there is TAM. if ur a balls to bone quaker, then there is TDM, CTF and 1v1 a plenty. the clanbase 1v1 opencup this season is the biggest in clanbase history... 8 divisions and a eurocup!
    2k3 was a bit lackluster. only good thing in it was boost dodging... but that was scrubbed for 2k4 cos it was a bit silly.
    ut99 is still a class game and i loved it for many years. didnt play too much online but used to horse it back in the day of nethouse and such. had a great feel and was a fantastic option if u didnt like quake 3 but still wanted to blow ppl to bits with a flak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It was a kind of prototype level in one of the earlier versions. The jeeps didn't work that well and got stuck in the ground an awful lot.
    It was called jeepathon2k and it was class craic at the time. Flying over those ramps in the Jeeps, running down awpers...ah the memories! :D

Personally I'd go for Counter-Strike, UT/UT2004 and Quake 3. That pretty much covers my love for slow paced tactical, fast paced deathmatch and the lovely niche in between. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

3rd - Quakeworld Clan Arena with the folks from the original Quake Board. Ah the memories.

I was in the best QW clan around at the time though .... LDC (Lime in Dee Coconut) ah the memories.

Now I'm crap at everything.

Dod : Source ftw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Rocket Crowbar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

quakeworld, team fortress and Tribes (malice quake was good too)

FPS games have no business on consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Grumpy did you play in the Irish Xbox live competition a couple of years back?

Advertisement