Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is The Best Multiplayer Ever?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Goldeneye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

1. Quakeworld
    2. Team Fortress Classic (still hooked to this dated game)

used to play a lot of Q1 on the University of Limerick LAN back in 98/99, ah there was some fierce good opponents, Zero, Rasta, Orion, they were great games..

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ianmc38 wrote:
    Grumpy did you play in the Irish Xbox live competition a couple of years back?

I did, why? does that make me a fanboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

humm, there have a been a couple of votes for TFC and few other mentions of other Team Fortress games, you may be interesting in the latest MOD to hold up the TF flag.

Fortress Forever - http://www.fortress-forever.com./

Its mainly TFC remade for the HL2 engine, with apparently some movements ported over from other versions. It still isnt finished yet, but I have a feeling it is only a few months away.

I also loved Diablo (the first one) until cheaters got out of control on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Goldeneye, and Css and the bf series minus 2. Not thats its not a good game, it just has balanceing issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been keeping an eye on this mod since it was announced, and am looking forward to it. Its a pity that they hardly ever update the website - it does not inspire confidence. If i wasn't reading their forums, the lack of updates for the last 2 months would make me have doubts about the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Consoles
    Goldeneye
    Mario Kart
    Smash Brothers
    PC
    Call of Duty
    Counter Strike Source
    Quake III

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

New free game warsow is nifty - http://www.warsow.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

oh, talking of really ace, multiplayer, free games ... check this one out

http://www.albatross18.com/new/new_index.asp

yes it is free, and totally ace :D

There are some clothes that cost money to buy ( which is how they make their cash )- but I have been playing it for months without feeling the need to purcase any of them.
    Stephen wrote:
    I've been keeping an eye on this mod since it came out, and am looking forward to it. Its a pity that they hardly ever update the website - it does not inspire confidence. If i wasn't reading their forums, the lack of updates for the last 2 months would make me have doubts about the whole project.

I think that the bug report that they have resently listed is quite encouraging, looks like they have completed a fair amount of play testing already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

timesplitters ,2 or 3, if you can link two consoles ,or halo 2 .I like unreal tournament too.YOU CAN PLAY AGAINST BOTS IN BOTH,IF YOU DON,T HAVE BROADBAND.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I did, why? does that make me a fanboy?

No I also played in it. I havnt played Halo for a while no, but played it everyday for about a year or so.

What was your handle in the final or did you get to the final?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jazzy wrote:
    yes.
    thats it.
    it must be...

yada yada

Relax Jazzy only having a laugh. I know what you're saying and yes it was the translocator that put me off for one. I had invested alot of time into playing UT (now called UT99 I see) with a clan of guys from all over Europe, good friends at the time. Then the newer versions came along and we were all fairly universally dissappointed in it. Suddenly it looked like Quake and had a translocator limper than a geriatric's you know what. Maybe we might have appreciated it more had we invested the time but call me silly sometimes I expect the game to make you want to invest the time. Sadly I haven't spoken to those guys in years. So I'm bitter, having a laugh and hey it's sunny out. Take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ianmc38 wrote:
    No I also played in it. I havnt played Halo for a while no, but played it everyday for about a year or so.

What was your handle in the final or did you get to the final?

Irish GrumPy ;) what was yours? I got knocked out in first round, it was on lockout, default weapons, radar ON. default = sword, = ghey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

UT CTF; the greatest multiplayer game imo. Plenty of flaws, but it rose above them to deliver an overall outstanding game. Still remember stuff like a frantic flag run on Dreary being chased all the way by Gibbers with guns...
    alot of old 99'rs still grumble and moan about the 2k series. this is because they had to learn new stuff.

Possibly; though a lot of UTers have moved into entirely new games altogether (I play DOD these days....how much different can you get to UT and still be playing FPS?). I liked some of it; Lightning Gun > UT Sniper, 2K3 Flak > UT Flak for starters. I just disliked everything else; translocator; woeful CTF maps, new gamemodes like BR were garbage, less than eyecatching skins, the frankly disturbing engine "view" perspective, adopting console menus for no good reason, and too many gameplay decisions being focused towards attracting Q3 DMers to "the franchise". CTF was my only interest in UT, UT2K3 CTF was rubbish, UT2K4 demo was more of the same garbage, and 2007 doesnt exactly seem to be doing anything worth my cash either. /me shrugs. I dont know if that means Im some crotchey old fogey rejecting progress.
    no longer was there an infinite fast firing way of travelling, but a more tactical tool that really has made CTF an extremely fast paced and skillful game (it was already in 99, but the 2k's made it a much more flowing affair).

Heh - it was designed for people so fast and skillful they couldnt shock combo a TLer, so they moaned about it. And nerfing the TL made it harder for flag defenders to chase the enemy FC, so the gameplay suffered and became slower - DM with flags. But thats only my opinion.
    if ur a balls to bone quaker, then there is TDM, CTF and 1v1 a plenty.

Yeah, Id agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

My handle at the time was Senor Snipe. I won my semi on Midship and came 2nd in the final after I gave a 20-12 lead away.

Advertisement