Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft ladders...

Options
  • 31-05-2006 9:05am

...was in Woodies lately and the loft ladders they have are way too big for the opening into our attic space. The seem to have something like 60cm x 120cm whereas our opening is 70cm square. Any companies sell loft ladders for this opening, which seems pretty standard to me?

This is the Woodies one, you'll see what I mean about the opening...

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=1876&loc=P&catid=11.6.1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

To get a ladder up an opening that small it would almost need to be vertical.
    Most loft ladders are a standard size, but this is not the size of your trap door. You have to cut the opening bigger.

Dan_B wrote:
    To get a ladder up an opening that small it would almost need to be vertical.

Vertical is fine by me. No kids in the house anyway. I'd even nearly take a rope ladder or something that would drop down when the door is opened and could be secured to the attic. Don't really fancy lugging a ladder in and out of the house every time I need to get into the attic.
    Dan_B wrote:
    You have to cut the opening bigger.

Rats dang. That's the one thing I didn't want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Hi,
    Posted this up before, these guys do the job for €185 all in (B&Q sell the ladders for 228). I've got them coming over to my place on Friday to have a look so if I remember I'll let you know how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Vertical is fine by me. No kids in the house anyway. I'd even nearly take a rope ladder or something that would drop down when the door is opened and could be secured to the attic. Don't really fancy lugging a ladder in and out of the house every time I need to get into the attic.

Rats dang. That's the one thing I didn't want to hear.

Much safer than vertical even for urself carrying stuff out. Id take a look at that last post for 185. Are Stira working from Dublin at all?. They do a good job as well, but expensive sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Conor,

I got a loft ladder (probably similair ot the one for €185) in Midleton for €150 couple of years ago. It looks a little more light weight than a Stira, but does the job fine for infrequent attic access. You still have to increase the opening though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for alll the help folks. The linked Attic People seems perfect but based in Dublin and I'm down in South Kerry. Might check out the crowd in Midleton - can you remember who they were noby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

@ ScottishDanny

I'd also appreciate it if you were to let us know how you got on!!

I saw their flyer and wondered if there would be any hidden charges!!

Cheers

Branners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It's a Co-op shop, or something. If you come into Midleton from the Cork side, it's on your left, across the road from the Park Hotel.

My Brother-in-law fitted it, which was handy. We also have a Stira, but this was 1/3 the cost, and does us fine. We only got the Stira because it's access to a room, and would have a lot more traffic (if I ever get round to finishing the room, that is)

Thanks. Will give them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mushforbrains

Just wondering how Scottish Danny got on with getting the ladder installed by Attic People.
    Thanks,
    Mush

• Advertisement
Advertisement