Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong Exhaust??

Options
  • 31-05-2006 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a '95 Merc E220 CE. When I recently had it serviced the mechanic recommended a new exhaust as the baffle(?) was gone. So yesterday I popped down to my local fastfit. Guy said no problem, it'll only take 20 minutes, took out a catalogue, got new box and removed old one. A few minutes later I could tell there wasa problem. He had presumed that the box for a saloon would fit the coupe too. He said they hadn't a specific box for the coupe. An hour and a half later after much heating, bending, pushing, clamping and finally welding he said it was done.

Seemed fine but today when driving slowly or reversing I can hear a loud growl that wasn't there previously. Before I go back with it to fastfit can you guys recommend what action I should take/ insist on being done? Can this box (for saloon) be sucessfully installed on a coupe?

Thanks in advance,

Les

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Seems there's a difference between the two systems and he's bodged the saloon system to fit your coupe, The growl could be a leak in the system if you have a quick look under the car you will see if the gas is leaking somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'd be heading straight back to the manager of the Fastfit to get it replaced/repaired as necessary. It sounds dodgy from the start and it is important to fit original or appropriate parts and not to bodge them from other stuff. I'd be drafting letters to Fastfit head office, the SIMI and a good solicitor if you don't get a satisfactory response.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The new part of the system impingining against something orthere might be an incorrect joint causing a leak or even just resonance due to having the wrong replacement part installed. Even though it might not be economical to fit a proper OEM exhuast to an older car they usually fit better and last much longer.

Advertisement