Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadbaband in Limerick City (Without phone lines) ?

• 31-05-2006 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering what is the word on the street regarding this? (Corbally area)
    Someone has asked me and they don't want to subscribe to a phone line.

According to http://www.broadband.gov.ie,

Cable providers are: Magnet
    Fixed Wireless providers are: Irish Broadband, Leap Broadband Wireless, Digiweb Metro.

And satellite are: Digiweb, Applied Solutions, Orbitlink, Pure Telecom Satellite, e3 Broadband, ehotspot, Avonline, Eircom Satellite, Fastnet Broadband Satellite, Cross Country Broadband Ltd.

Anyone here heard reports on which would be the best to choose? Going on quality, speed, bandwidth, service, value etc?
    Or even if someone has heard bad reports about a particular service?
    Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Chorus BB maybe available in your area (you maybe required to take up the basic TV service in order to get BB). You need to call them to check, they aren't on the above site.

Smart Telelcom would be worth checking if it is available, you do need a phone line, but Smart give that for free.

Digiweb Metro would be the best wireless BB provider by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Hi and thanks,

Chorus BB is only available in Clonmel, Kilkenny, Thurles and going to Naas and Cork soon. I've got the package in clonmel allready and they've made some needed improvements.

Digiweb Metro is the digiweb broadband package with a phone line.
    HomeWave and BizWave are the wireless packages. Do you mean this is the best wireless BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

flashcash5 wrote:
    Hi and thanks,

Chorus BB is only available in Clonmel, Kilkenny, Thurles and going to Naas and Cork soon. I've got the package in clonmel allready and they've made some needed improvements.

HomeWave and BizWave are the wireless packages. Do you mean this is the best wireless BB?

You dont have to use or have the phone activated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

flashcash5 wrote:
    they don't want to subscribe to a phone line.
    Fibre is yer only MAN :p !

4Mb Limerick Fibre Map Includes Corbally

http://www.shannonbroadband.com/media/Media,3632,en.pdf

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Fibre is yer only MAN :p !

4Mb Limerick Fibre Map Includes Corbally

http://www.shannonbroadband.com/media/Media,3632,en.pdf
    Seriously? Is it that good? Do you work for them? :p
    Any more info for me? Ie. price, website etc ?

Chaz, so the metro package without using the phoneline would be better than the wireless? Do they supply wireless routers or is it compatible with one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flashcash5 wrote:

The site is out of date, my friend in Cork has had Chorus BB for over 6 months now and I've heard of people already getting it in Limerick. Ring and ask, it only takes 5 minutes.
    flashcash5 wrote:

Digiweb Metro uses wireless technology. They can give you a telephone on this service, if you like, but it is over wireless, not over a phone line and therefore you wouldn't need to pay line rental.

HomeWave and BizWave are also wireless, but they use inferior technology to Metro (they use unlicenced spectrum while Metro uses licensed spectrum and better gear). So you should go for Metro over these.

BTW Ignore Sponge Bob, he is messing with you, the MANs aren't for residential users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

flashcash5 wrote:
    It's still wireless, you can use a VOIP phone with it but you don't need a phoneline installed. They are covering pretty much all of the city I believe. It's a bit miss-leading they way they say free line-rental. There is no actual line so obviously it's free.

I notice Chorus doing a lot of work around Raheen lately, I wonder are they getting ready to roll out cable broadband in Limerick now? About time if they are.

bk wrote:
    The site is out of date, my friend in Cork has had Chorus BB for over 6 months now and I've heard of people already getting it in Limerick. Ring and ask, it only takes 5 minutes.

Digiweb Metro uses wireless technology. They can give you a telephone on this service, if you like, but it is over wireless, not over a phone line and therefore you wouldn't need to pay line rental.

HomeWave and BizWave are also wireless, but they use inferior technology to Metro (they use unlicenced spectrum while Metro uses licensed spectrum and better gear). So you should go for Metro over these.

BTW Ignore Sponge Bob, he is messing with you, the MANs aren't for residential users.

Correction. The other Wireless service Digiweb has is licensed - 3.5GHz.

K thanks all, will call cablenet and see if they are rolling out in Lim. Bout time they sorted things out since they got rid of the PowerNet satellite system.
    Lets hope they implement **** loads of bandwidth - they really didn't have enough in some areas when they started the service.

Thax chaz, thought that was the case allright.

So it looks like digiweb metro is the way to go then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bk wrote:
    Digiweb Metro would be the best wireless BB provider by far.

I wouldnt say that, i get packet loss with metro. Online gaming with it is pants.
    5 or so disconnections a night from WoW.

• Advertisement

hmm not good so ..
    Is the packet loss specific to one area? Have you heard of other people in different areas with the same issue?

Jumpy wrote:
    I wouldnt say that, i get packet loss with metro. Online gaming with it is pants.
    5 or so disconnections a night from WoW.

Need to trawl through my PM's, have you had a service call or raised something with our support team?

Anyone have some feedback on Magnets 8mb dl speed package or Smart Telecom's 6mb package in Limerick ?

flashcash5 wrote:
    Anyone have some feedback on Magnets 8mb dl speed package or Smart Telecom's 6mb package in Limerick ?

Smart seems to work well generally, with good customer support.

Magnets price doesn't include line rental, which you have to pay on top of their stated price. If you get Magnet with the TV service you definitely won't get 8m as it is shared.

BTW have you even checked if these are available in your area? Just go to their sites and enter your phone number, no point in asking us about them if you can't get them which is quiet likely.

lol erm gonna ring tomorrow. I only started the topic today so havent gotten round to contacting them yet. There is no existing phone line in this particular house btw

flashcash5 wrote:
    lol erm gonna ring tomorrow. I only started the topic today so havent gotten round to contacting them yet. There is no existing phone line in this particular house btw

Ah, I understand now, they mightn't be able to tell you without a number, not for definite anyway, they can probably only tell you if your local exchange is enabled by them. YOu should see if you can get the number of your neighbours to check on the website.

BTW Chorus and Digiweb Metro can tell you based on just your address.

Chaz wrote:
    Need to trawl through my PM's, have you had a service call or raised something with our support team?

Yes, Its improved, I dont get kicked out as much, but it still happens.
    It wont kick me out if I get one no return ping, but it does if i get two.
    I get one in every 30-40 pings dropped.

I am thinking it might be because of my distance from the hill, but my signals are great.
    And it never happened when I first got it. Except for the original esb thingy. But that got fixed.

Jumpy wrote:
    I am thinking it might be because of my distance from the hill, but my signals are great.
    And it never happened when I first got it. Except for the original esb thingy. But that got fixed.

Trees with leafs on them maybe?

K so, there are no issues that you guys know of with banging a wireless router onto the end of a Digiweb Metro line so that multiple wireless users in the home can use the BB

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    Trees with leafs on them maybe?

Nope thought of that already, clear view right to the top of the hill.

flashcash5 wrote:
    K so, there are no issues that you guys know of with banging a wireless router onto the end of a Digiweb Metro line so that multiple wireless users in the home can use the BB

It should work just fine.

Advertisement