Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheet of Perspex/Acrylic

Options
  • 31-05-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where i can get a sheet of Perspex/Acrylic? (Slightly Larger than an ATX Mobo) colour doesnt matter but preferably Blue, Black or clear.

Cheers
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Woodies, B&Q, atlantic homecare, home depot, any hardware/builders provisions stores. Try them and see.

While we're on the subject - anyone know the Dremel accessory numbers for bits suitable for for cutting acrylic, aluminium and steel (different bits)? Can acrylic be cut by scoring it with a stanley knife and snapping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Cheers ill take a look at the weekend so do you know if they only sell small pieces as i dont exactly want to buy a huge sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

SyxPak wrote:
    Woodies, B&Q, atlantic homecare, home depot, any hardware/builders provisions stores. Try them and see.

While we're on the subject - anyone know the Dremel accessory numbers for bits suitable for for cutting acrylic, aluminium and steel (different bits)? Can acrylic be cut by scoring it with a stanley knife and snapping?

If its thin enough scoring works, but anything over 3 or 4 mm wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

B&Q sell it :) and scoring does work if it isw not too big:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

peterk19 wrote:
    Cheers ill take a look at the weekend so do you know if they only sell small pieces as i dont exactly want to buy a huge sheet

Smallest B&Q have is 3ft by 2ft...both 2 and 4mm.

I have a spare bit of 2mm bigger than ATX. Yours if you want it.

:)

• Advertisement

is it advisable to score both sides? I assume one would still need to sand/polish it.
    I was down in Woodies (Galway) at lunch, they had big (1220x1200mm max) sheets of stuff called Clearlite. €34.99 for that size sheet, smaller (half, quarter etc.) sheets available. The stuff they had on the shop floor wasn't protected or covered by anything (that I could see). Seemed to have a bit of give, tried gently marking a spot in the corner with my thumb/nail, couldn't see any marks.
    They also had a "Powerdevil Plunge Router set", Model:1020W I think. 20quid. 9000-~30,000 revs, 9000 is a bit high for cutting/routing/beveling acrylic methinks. Might pick one up after work, I have a bit of acrylic at home (top-window kit from maplin's bargain bin €5)
    I need a dremel :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Roches Stores Picture frames, the large ones are clear perspex. 7 quid, cuts easily

Now that's the sort of thing modding is about teach.gif

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3712 - booya

I'd read about cast vs. extruded. I'm going to investigate a few glass-factors around the city, see what I can turn up.

I think I will pick up that plunge router tomorrow, need to buy groceries tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

hopeful wrote:
    Smallest B&Q have is 3ft by 2ft...both 2 and 4mm.

I have a spare bit of 2mm bigger than ATX. Yours if you want it.

:)

that would do perfect i just need to make a motherboard tray for my apple G5 conversion

ill get in touch with you over the weekend ill need to arrange a lift

Now to get to get to work on making adapter cables for the I/O's so i can keep the original apple I/O on it

Cheers
    Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah i seen somewhere before that a nifty way to cut it is to score it either side, pour some alcohol *or absinth :D* on it and light it, the alcohol will heat the plastic but not melt it. The perspex is mallable enough to bend and break without shattering.

I use a dremel myself, B&Q do a set of tool bits for €10 for there cheapo dremel fake, but the bits are actually decent in quality.

You can cut the perspex with a cutting disk, clean up the edges with a sanding bit, then if you use toothpaste on a buffing bit you can clean up the edges.

I bought that Powerdevil plunge router during lunch.
    Just read the manual - for 20eur, it's not a bad piece of Made in PRC.
    Worried about the Flush Trim bit though, don't think it's entirely suitable for routing acrylic. I have some spare so I'll give it a lash and see.

Advertisement