Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest ever foreigner

• 31-05-2006 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭

Vote for the greatest ever foreigner in prem history.

www.premiershipsgreatest.com

Me personally voted for Roy Keane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Bruno Cheyrou!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Stig Bjorniebe (or however you spell it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

iregk wrote:
    Stig Bjorniebe (or however you spell it)
    he was actually decent - did a job for us in not our best team ever.
    Went for Hamann, just for his Wembley goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Zola

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Maybe slightly biased but went for Lucas Radebe. Great to see him in third at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I went for King Eric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

no mention of Zola or bergkamp is a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Keane by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Did somebody say Massimo Taiba? ;) He was Venitian and blind but you couldn't hang him on your windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Marco Boogers :D
    Gary Neville's bestest friend...

Del

• Advertisement

no mention of Zola or bergkamp is a bit mad.

you probably missed the bit where I said "Zola" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dennis Bergkamp, just ahead of Thierry Henry for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

growler wrote:

You went for Zola over W Bogarde??.....Controversial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

growler wrote:

Heard ya. i meant the overall top 10 on the site, sites a bit like The chieftains getting best song ever on the BBC poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

King Eric for me followed by Roy Keane.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ali Dia followed by Hassan Kachloul followed by Pahars followed by Ken Monkou followed by...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

bergkamp by a country mile, he's probably the best player in the history of the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think bergkamp, then a close tie between Keane and Vieira, then Eric and Henry. Zola was overrated imo, and has been made better than he was of late due to various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Henry, probably

Zola or Ravenelli maybe aswell! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Roy Keane:) for me, The greatest midfielder ever to when a manu shirt and play in the premership without doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Roy Keane then Gianluca Vialli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I voted for Keane about 100 times, he's still 9th though, it actualley works, cause I moved Lauren up 3 places by repeatedly voting for him, so every one give one for Keano

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Henry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This is the porblem with public polls. Letting the public vote always ruins them.

Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 10? priceless.

PHB wrote:
    . Zola was overrated imo, and has been made better than he was of late due to various reasons.

such as?

scully, bogarde was my second choice, t'was close. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I voted for Roy 3 times, but I have a nagging feeling for not voting for Eric the King

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

King Eric
    Royston Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Henry, makes Cantana look like an amatuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

This is the porblem with public polls. Letting the public vote always ruins them.

Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 10? priceless.
    Yeah your exactly right Chucky. Ronaldo is a great player and I am a huge fan of him, but it is rediculous to see players like him ahead of Roy Keane and Zola

• Advertisement

If I was to vote honestly it would be almost impossible to look past Henry. Unbelievable player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Faustino Asprilla. What a legend.

Don't forget Tony Yeboah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Funny the lack of support for Keane, he drove Utd on for so many season to winning trophy after trophy and got numerous player of the year awards but even the Irish arnt supporting him.

Henry? Vieira etc are no where near the player Keane was in his day. When has Henry taken a game by the nuts and drove the team on to win it like Keane done? when its starts to go wrong you see Henry lose it, no good crying about what a great player he is when he knock in 3-4 against the lower teams in PL, when the chance came to score a goal to win the biggest club trophy he fluffed it numerous times

Big Nelly wrote:
    When has Henry taken a game by the nuts and drove the team on to win it like Keane done?

They're completely different players, Henry doesn't take "a game by the nuts", he just scores tonnes and tonnes of goals (against all clubs, not just the lower ones), plenty of them out of absolutely nothing.

If you want an example of Henry being a match winner, you don't have to look very far. There are just so many examples to choose from.

The last game at Highbury even?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    They're completely different players, Henry doesn't take "a game by the nuts", he just scores tonnes and tonnes of goals (against all clubs, not just the lower ones), plenty of them out of absolutely nothing.

If you want an example of Henry being a match winner, you don't have to look very far. There are just so many examples to choose from.

The last game at Highbury even?

Last game was against Wigan?? hardly World beaters now. The one game that counted this season was the Barca one and he flunked it.

When Utd had a season like that and came up against Juve in the semi's what happened then?

I know they are different types of players but Keane in his days was a better player than Henry will ever be,

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Last game was against Wigan?? hardly World beaters now.

Possibly one of the biggest occasions in the clubs history, and he single handedly ensured all Arsenal fans will remember it for the right reasons. The guy is a genius.

And if you really need more examples:

His incredible display and two goals against Inter at the San Siro to keep Arsenal in the CL... They won 5-1.

The performance he gave (and that goal he scored) against Liverpool to pretty much ensure Arsenal would win the league a couple of seasons back.

The wondergoal at Highbury in 2000 against United, the one he flicked up and smashed over Barthez from 25 yards. Worthy of winning any game, never mind one against one of your biggest rivals at the height of the rivalry.

My personal favourite is his performance against Middlesbrough at Highbury a couple of years back, think it finished 5-3. He scored a couple and made at least two that day, after Arsenal had been behind. But that probably doesn't count because it was only Middlesbrough... Maybe an Arsenal fan can correct me but wasn't that the game he nutmegged Danny Mills by the corner flag and Mills was just so stunned/pissed off that he stood still for about 30 seconds?

There was another game where they were 2-0 down to Villa at half-time I remember, and he scored twice and they won.

True bouncebackability, he really did grab all those games by the balls, so to speak, but in a different way to Keane.

PS -
    I don't think I should really mention his moment of genius at Lansdowne... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest Joe I have to agree with Nelly (for a change) on this one. Henry is a fancy dan player and is no where near Roy Keane in his prime. Give me the option of the two and I would pick Roy anyday.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    PS -
    I don't think I should really mention his moment of genius at Lansdowne... :)

Nobody is allowed to mention that on here anymore. Ok put it this way, if you had the choice of a player for Southampton at this very moment would you go for Henry or Keane in his prime?

I know for certain if I had the choice I would stick Keane into the middle of the park for Shef Wed. He would have more of an affect on the team etc than a sulkying striker up front.

Again Im not saying Henry is crap or anything but just that Keane in his day was a better player than Henry will ever be.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Don't forget Tony Yeboah.

Yeboah will never be forgotten! What a find he was.

Enjoy

V Wimbledon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAFTHchD0Q&search=yeboah

V Liverpool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4KF07wRJ-A&search=yeboah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zola, hands down.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Nobody is allowed to mention that on here anymore. Ok put it this way, if you had the choice of a player for Southampton at this very moment would you go for Henry or Keane in his prime?

I know for certain if I had the choice I would stick Keane into the middle of the park for Shef Wed. He would have more of an affect on the team etc than a sulkying striker up front.

Again Im not saying Henry is crap or anything but just that Keane in his day was a better player than Henry will ever be.
    Henry, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

to this date the foreigner with the most significant inpact on the premiership has been Roy Keane by a country mile! but i know king Eric will win the popularity vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

just checked out the poll, what a complete fu*kin joke! Cantona isnt in the top ten and Yakubu is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Definately Lombardo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

come on Kilbane you legend.

Superdub2 wrote:
    just checked out the poll, what a complete fu*kin joke! Cantona isnt in the top ten and Yakubu is!

Its an absolute joke of a poll tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

All of these polls get manipulated.
    I remember Craig Hignett (ex-Boro) being voted 'Greatest Ever Human Being' :eek: after one poll was hijacked!

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Cantona for me.

Hard to not vote for Keane, Bergkamp or Henry though.

All of these polls get manipulated.
    I remember Craig Hignett (ex-Boro) being voted 'Greatest Ever Human Being' :eek: after one poll was hijacked!

Del
    Sure wasn't Juventus' (at the time) very own Irishman Ronnie O'Brien up for Time Magazine's 'Person of the Millenium' or something mad like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sure wasn't Juventus' (at the time) very own Irishman Ronnie O'Brien up for Time Magazine's 'Person of the Millenium' or something mad like that?

BBC sports personality of the year, 30 somfin page thread about it and all our admittances of voting for him numerous times, think i clocked up a few thousand on one shift.

Also Spain Ireland game being voted the best game in wc2002 the website let you multivote so we did.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement