Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macroom?

• 31-05-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Just bought a house in Macroom, simply because its cheaper than the city and not far from work. Just wondering what people's opinions of the place are... much to do? pubs? things to do? places to go?

Thanks guys...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Girls are cute but not too feminine, but most Macroom girls are like that. The guys? Well, just like most Cork County towns on a saturday night, fights *always* break out. A bit primitive from that respect.

Nice restaurants there (Auld Triangle, Victoria Hotel, Castle Hotel), and that's about it I think.

Good areas to visit around there include Gougane Barra, Milstreet Country Park (There's lots of Ogham stones in fields around there), Killarney, the Firies Mountains, and the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

ned78 wrote:
    Girls are cute but not too feminine, but most Macroom girls are like that. The guys? Well, just like most Cork County towns on a saturday night, fights *always* break out. A bit primitive from that respect.

Nice restaurants there (Auld Triangle, Victoria Hotel, Castle Hotel), and that's about it I think.

Good areas to visit around there include Gougane Barra, Milstreet Country Park (There's lots of Ogham stones in fields around there), Killarney, the Firies Mountains, and the Gaeltacht.

I know what you mean about the fights, same as where Im originally from in Arklow!

Ate in the Auld triangle when we were down looking at the house, was very nice, I see they've built an extension on to it now too... its only a 5 min walk from the house we bought in The Hermitage...

Thanks for all the other suggestions too, will make sure to check them out...

Sorry...another question for you... are there any gyms in the area apart from the one in the Castle Hotel? Their membership price is way too high for the type of gym they have...

Google showed up "Macroom Community Leisure Centre", cant find any info on it though, can you enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sorry mate, my knowledge of Macroom isn't that good. My sister used to teach in one of the Schools down there, that's how I know about the clubs/pubs, area, but as regards Gyms, probably the Castle is the only one I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Plenty pubs anyway, you'll surely find one to suit. Even at least one late bar now.As a previous poster said, good food too. Even has a small cinema/theatre. Shops etc should be sufficient for most things groceries. Not too far from killarney or cork for everything else.

Can turn into a car park on weekends as people head towards kerry! If I think of it I will try to find out more about gyms. I know someone joined a gym and they thought it was good, but I think it was the castle.

• Advertisement

cargrouch wrote:
    Plenty pubs anyway, you'll surely find one to suit. Even at least one late bar now.As a previous poster said, good food too. Even has a small cinema/theatre. Shops etc should be sufficient for most things groceries. Not too far from killarney or cork for everything else.

Can turn into a car park on weekends as people head towards kerry! If I think of it I will try to find out more about gyms. I know someone joined a gym and they thought it was good, but I think it was the castle.

Ok great - thanks for that - had a walk around down there last weekend, seems ok. Only thing Im worried about is the gym - Im a bit of an addict!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

I am here in America in a small town, but I go to the 'gym' at the local hospital ( it's part of the rehab of the hospital).
    Less crowded and less expensive than the local big time GYM. and it's got everything .
    Not sure what is around Macroom hospital wise, but worth the try.

I am here in America in a small town, but I go to the 'gym' at the local hospital ( it's part of the rehab of the hospital).
    Less crowded and less expensive than the local big time GYM. and it's got everything .
    Not sure what is around Macroom hospital wise, but worth the try.

Thanks for the suggestion but Macroom is small town wouldnt have much along the lines of a hospital apart from a small local clinic...

Thanks for the reply though...

There is a gym in a local hotel but it is very small and way over-priced! There is also a big gym which is very reasonably priced near my work, but it invloves driving in the opposite to the direction in which I will be going home! Bumber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Just bought a house in Macroom, simply because its cheaper than the city and not far from work. Just wondering what people's opinions of the place are... much to do? pubs? things to do? places to go?

Thanks guys...

Dineens for pool
    Marions for quite pint and atmosphere
    Oriadas nite club to meet bogger farmers with a large milk quota!
    Bealick mill (heritage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Thanks for the suggestion but Macroom is small town wouldnt have much along the lines of a hospital apart from a small local clinic...

Thanks for the reply though...

There is a gym in a local hotel but it is very small and way over-priced! There is also a big gym which is very reasonably priced near my work, but it invloves driving in the opposite to the direction in which I will be going home! Bumber!

Only Gym is in the Castle Hotel unless you drive to the Grove Leisure Center in Bandon bout 12 miles away.
    The Hermitage is a lovely estate indeed.

Also Breiry Gap Cinema/Theatre/Music Venue!

Not much else to do in Macroom, went to school their at 2nd level. Back then we had an arcade an a pool hall aaahhhh the memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

There was talk of a municipal gym in the castle grounds a few months ago, but I think the funds didn't come through. Not sure of the status now.

I think I might live quite close to you........

Dr. Nick wrote:

I think I might live quite close to you........

Im up in the Hermitage, where are you?

Moved in about 3 weeks ago, still a good bit to do in the house...

Im up in the Hermitage, where are you?

Moved in about 3 weeks ago, still a good bit to do in the house...

In The Hermitage too, here almost three years. Are you in the new section?

Dr. Nick wrote:

Yeah - first turn on the right - there's only about 3 other houses occupied there atm - fairly quiet :)

Dr. Nick wrote:

Hey there,

Do you have broadband in your place!?

I rang Eircom back in July and they said that our area would be hooked up to the exchange by the end of September. Rang them yesterday and they said that they have no intention of hooking us up to the exchange!

You on dial-up or do you even use the internet at home?

Cheers, anyone else here got broadband in the Macroom area?? Any other options apart from satellite broadband??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katekeogh

wonder if anyone can help, I am moving to macroom soon and interested in finding out about national schools in the area, the availability of rented property and of course broadband. Is there a Dunnes, Tesco or a swimming pool there. I don't drive so am wondering about all local amenities. thanks

Hey there,

Do you have broadband in your place!?

I rang Eircom back in July and they said that our area would be hooked up to the exchange by the end of September. Rang them yesterday and they said that they have no intention of hooking us up to the exchange!

You on dial-up or do you even use the internet at home?

Cheers, anyone else here got broadband in the Macroom area?? Any other options apart from satellite broadband??

Don't get me going about b/band! It's a bloody disgrace. No DSL, no wireless, satelite's the only option (if it can even be considered an option). I'm on dial-up.

There's no b/band on this side of the town as we're not on the main exchange. Macroom was actually one of the first towns to get it I think, because of the New Business centre on the other side of town.

I have an office in the town centre and have it there through eircom, when I got it installed I asked the engineer about this side of the town and he told me we're on a different exchange and it was unlikely eircom would be enabling it anytime soon. A friend who lives a couple of miles outside the town has it, and he's out in the country! But, of course, he's the right side of the town.
    There's an election coming up, so don't let them feckers leave your dorrstep without mentioning this subject :mad:
    Worst of all, this is where most of the new houses are.....

katekeogh wrote:
    wonder if anyone can help, I am moving to macroom soon and interested in finding out about national schools in the area, the availability of rented property and of course broadband. Is there a Dunnes, Tesco or a swimming pool there. I don't drive so am wondering about all local amenities. thanks

St. Joseph's national school caters for girls and the first two years of boys. Position of the school isn't great (up from the church) and mornings (especially rainy ones) can be chaotic. Boys then go to the boys school from first class on.
    I can only vouch for the girls school - any teachers we've had dealings with have been excellent and our daughter loves it there.

Work has just started on a new Dunnes, so it'll be a few months before it's open. Lidl has just opened and 4Home DIY/Houshold etc. will be open soon.
    The only swimming pool is at the Castle Hotel. Membership to the Leisure club is expensive.
    There are a lot of rented houses around, mostly inhabited by the polish community.
    Broadband - see above, you'll get it in the town centre and west from there.

I moved here 3 years ago and the town's amenities have improved in that time, probably due to the 20% increase in population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katekeogh

Thanks for the information, I found it very helpful. I have passed through Macroom a number of times and always thought it looked very quaint and picturesome. I am looking forward to the move and a new life. I have a daughter going into the senior class in national school.

katekeogh wrote:
    Thanks for the information, I found it very helpful. I have passed through Macroom a number of times and always thought it looked very quaint and picturesome. I am looking forward to the move and a new life. I have a daughter going into the senior class in national school.

This should answer most of your questions kate.... download the PDF or Word doc...

• Advertisement

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Don't get me going about b/band! It's a bloody disgrace. No DSL, no wireless, satelite's the only option (if it can even be considered an option). I'm on dial-up.

There's no b/band on this side of the town as we're not on the main exchange. Macroom was actually one of the first towns to get it I think, because of the New Business centre on the other side of town.

I have an office in the town centre and have it there through eircom, when I got it installed I asked the engineer about this side of the town and he told me we're on a different exchange and it was unlikely eircom would be enabling it anytime soon. A friend who lives a couple of miles outside the town has it, and he's out in the country! But, of course, he's the right side of the town.
    There's an election coming up, so don't let them feckers leave your dorrstep without mentioning this subject :mad:
    Worst of all, this is where most of the new houses are.....

Its desperate alright! Eircom told me that they have no plans to connect our side to the main exchange, satellite is an option alright but its very expensive compared to standard broadband!

Looking forward to the councillors canvessing :)

Sorry...another question for you... are there any gyms in the area apart from the one in the Castle Hotel? Their membership price is way too high for the type of gym they have...

Google showed up "Macroom Community Leisure Centre", cant find any info on it though, can you enlighten me?

A small gym is to open on Monday at the re-vamped Community centre (castle grounds). Open 10am-2pm and 4pm-10pm. €4 and €5 per hour respectively.

Dr. Nick wrote:
    A small gym is to open on Monday at the re-vamped Community centre (castle grounds). Open 10am-2pm and 4pm-10pm. €4 and €5 per hour respectively.

Really? Thanks for letting me know. Any idea what sort of equipment they have there?

I have boxing on Mondays but wouldnt mind a light gym session beforehand...

Really? Thanks for letting me know. Any idea what sort of equipment they have there?

I have boxing on Mondays but wouldnt mind a light gym session beforehand...

It's small, maybe 5/6 pieces of equipment. No threadmill.
    Although not officially open, you can go in and have a look, I had a quick look today. There's now a reception desk there, which was manned today at lunchtime anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 v1ck

Hi!
    i live in macroom to at The glenties, does anybody know when eircom is going to setup a suitable line for broudband?

v1ck - you'll have to wait for the politicians to knock on your door looking for a vote. good time to complain.

v1ck wrote:
    Hi!
    i live in macroom to at The glenties, does anybody know when eircom is going to setup a suitable line for broudband?

I live in the Hermitage...I called them and they said they've no plans to set us up for the forseeable future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

v1ck wrote:
    Hi!

Broadband is in Macroom & has been for about 8 months, my buddy has it ages.....

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    Broadband is in Macroom & has been for about 8 months, my buddy has it ages.....

TJ911...

Broadband isnt available in all of Macroom, Eircom only have one side of the town connected to the exchange. There are some wireless providers but a lot of the West side of the town isnt covered....

Where does your mate live Trojan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Where does your mate live Trojan?

Some place called Masseytown.... and yes he has Eircom....

www.macroom.ie is a useful link for anyone curious....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Just wondering if anyone knows a good and reasonable painter in Macroom.... I live in the Hermitage and would like to give it to a local guy if the price is right - probably have 2 days work for them.

Cheers

corked wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows a good and reasonable painter in Macroom.... I live in the Hermitage and would like to give it to a local guy if the price is right - probably have 2 days work for them.

Cheers

I do, will PM his details to you.

Advertisement