Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Windows is starting up" + Win2k

• 31-05-2006 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hey folks; hopefully somebody can gimme a bit of help on this.
    Have a PC and its booting up fine, but when it gets as far as the "windows is starting up" phase it just hangs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just afer the BIOS boots up and before it heads to Windows Press F8 and select Safe mode.

Once in Safe mode (if you can get there)

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

Look under both application and system and see if there is any errors or warnings.

Did you install something lately, new software or hardware or change any settings lately?

If you can try enabling boot logging from the same way to get to safe mode and allow it to log whats happening. If it doesnt go into Windows go back into safe mode and look for a file called Bootlog on the hard disk and post that here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Modo06

cheers for getting back to me. I ran the safe mode but it wouldnt allow me in. instead gave and load of messages pointing the system 32 folder. i know i aint being very specific there.

ok started it up again and tried to get into safe mode. got the following message on-screen.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt\System32\drivers.....
    then all the drivers in this folder are listed. It then goes into starting up in safe mode and goes no further.

Yeah thats to be expected thats just what its showing its doing.

OK what is the last line, that is usually the last driver it loads before i starts booting windows services.

Does it completely time out or say if you left it 5 mins does it appear with a logon screen.

Has this happened before or is it a first time?

yeah, it brings me onto the login screen and once ive logged in it again it seems to stall again. cheers for the help by the way

• Advertisement

OK thats ok then

Ok specs of the machine in question. Have you installed anything lately that might cause this issue. Upgraded any drivers,, extra software etc.

If all comes to all you could try a repair but it might be easier to try and get the cause.

just after you enter you username and password and clicked login... hold down shift to stop any programs running

Are running anything overclocked????

Also could you give as much info as you can rather than assuming i can read minds :P

never used that event viewer app before. very handy. i should have said earlier but this is running a novell client for login. from looking at the event viewer it looks like the problem is being caused by the novell client. apologies again for not explaining it was on a novell client.

Are you on the Novell network or are you at home, I have very limited experience with Novell

I'm on a novell network. From looking at the log files it appears the client has been corrupted. It will be prob be as easy as just reinstalling the client but still want to find out why it happened. There is multiple MRXSmb, DCOM, and Service control manager errors. Each of the service control messages refer to novell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement