Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving broadband to another room,

• 31-05-2006 11:31am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently im running with the eircom wireless router connected to my gaming rig via ethernet cable and then the laptop wirelessly off this too.

Im thinking of moving the gaming rig to another room.
    Which is the best way to go?
    Can eircom or anybody move the actual box on the wall to this other room?
    Is it a big job?
    My other alternative is to go wireless with the gaming pc.
    Since gaming is what this rig is for if i were to get a wireless card in pc will it work? will it cause any increase in ping and slow connection while gaming?
    Also will any wireless card adaptor thingy work with eircoms wireless router,3mb connection?

Advice warmly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Wireless is THE way really, ping will be exactly the same as your BB is only 3Mbs and WiFi min is 11Mps so you see where I'm going...

Recommend the Linksys gear expensive but for a reason, stay away from Belkin if you want your sanity and any probs drop us line in Wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You could just put an ethernet socket on the wall in the other room and run a cable too, may be best choice for gaming ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You can go wireless and not see any loss of performance. Probably cheaper and easier to set up then moving sockets, cables etc.

irlrobins wrote:
    You can go wireless and not see any loss of performance. Probably cheaper and easier to set up then moving sockets, cables etc.

Exactly irlrobins, people seem to have this idea that wired is better for gaming, total nonsence you cannot max out a wireless connection in this backwater of a country of ours over the BB connections we have (hold on all you NTL users I'm talking about 802.11g) so the argument for wired over wireless doesn't add up.

BTW irlrobins what the heck is that sig supposed to mean... You better never come into Rebel held territory.... :D

Mmm, jsut a quote from another user here. She claimed she has no friends from home in Cork and that was her reason for it.

• Advertisement

OK Name and address and recent photo so she can be stopped at the border and questioned... LOL ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Exactly irlrobins, people seem to have this idea that wired is better for gaming, total nonsence you cannot max out a wireless connection in this backwater of a country of ours over the BB connections we have (hold on all you NTL users I'm talking about 802.11g) so the argument for wired over wireless doesn't add up.

In my experience wireless is inferior to wired.

First of all as an NTL 10m user with 802.11g, I can tell you that you don't get anywhere near 10m with wireless, but you do when connected by wired.

Even for lower bandwidth tasks I find wireless to be unstable.

I use to run my TiVo over 802.11g wireless, when I streamed TV from the TiVO I use to get about .5m per second, it would fluctuate and drop some packets. When I moved to wired, I now get 1.7m (the limit of the TiVo CPU) and the connection never drops or fluctuates, it is rock solid and far superior to wireless.

Yes, wireless has claims to high speeds, 54m, etc. But in the real world it is very different. I find wireless to be fine for web and email, but forget about it for more intensive tasks like TV streaming and moving big files.

bk wrote:
    I find wireless to be fine for web and email. but forget about it for more intensive tasks like TV stream and moving big files.
    Ah yea thats a given. A wired connection connects at 100 or 1000mbps typically these days. A wireless connection will be about 25mbps actual.
    So if you're moving Gb files from PC to PC wired beats the pants off wireless. But in the context of gaming, wireless will not result in loss of performance as the bandwidth required/used is much lower.

I use wireless to connect my desktop to router. I suffer no loss in speed over my bb connection because of this. Obviously if someone has a wireless network performing in an environment that causes intereference, they might experience some loss.

If your having the probs you say you are with your WiFi connection then I respectfully suggest you post up in the wireless forum so we can solve them for you as for the OPs question was about gaming.

Actual throughput of 54g is ~22Mbs as it is Half Duplex and yes wired does beat the pants off wireless for large file transfers but then again I can stream divx encoded video from my fileserver to my laptop in real time and not have any skips so I quess that means its all up to setup.

bk wrote:
    In my experience wireless is inferior to wired.

First of all as an NTL 10m user with 802.11g, I can tell you that you don't get anywhere near 10m with wireless, but you do when connected by wired.

Even for lower bandwidth tasks I find wireless to be unstable.

I use to run my TiVo over 802.11g wireless, when I streamed TV from the TiVO I use to get about .5m per second, it would fluctuate and drop some packets. When I moved to wired, I now get 1.7m (the limit of the TiVo CPU) and the connection never drops or fluctuates, it is rock solid and far superior to wireless.

Yes, wireless has claims to high speeds, 54m, etc. But in the real world it is very different. I find wireless to be fine for web and email, but forget about it for more intensive tasks like TV streaming and moving big files.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

irlrobins wrote:
    But in the context of gaming, wireless will not result in loss of performance as the bandwidth required/used is much lower.

I disagree, it isn't about bandwidth, it s about stability. I find wireless can cause packet loss and it sometimes even disconnects. It is just less stable. My VPN connection to work frequently drops on wireless. Never on wired.

Of course this can depend on interference in your area (cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors, etc.) but my advice is that if you can afford it always go wired, wireless should always only be a fall back.

BTW you will never get 45m from 802.11g. In my experience 15m with WPA turned on, 20m with all security turned off.

• Advertisement

If your having the probs you say you are with your WiFi connection then I respectfully suggest you post up in the wireless forum so we can solve them for you as for the OPs question was about gaming.

:rolleyes: Thanks I think I now better then most how to handle networking equipment. I frequently work with high end cisco gear.

This isn't just me, the advice from my companies IT department (big US IT company) is that staff shouldn't use VPN over wireless, due to general stability problems.

Yet you can't get your own WiFi stuff to work??? LOL

You seem not to be able to read the OP questions either though so god help the cisco gear... LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bushy... wrote:
    You could just put an ethernet socket on the wall in the other room and run a cable too, may be best choice for gaming ?

you can game quite well on a wireless network, played people over a wireless lan in certain games without and lag in performance, and over the internet all the time of course

and you will never get a max of 54Mbit on your router as it is dependant on distance, the further away from the router the slower it is, you would get 54Mbit if you were right beside the router

Advertisement