Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sony STR-DE475 Problem

• 31-05-2006 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I have been hearing a loud clicking noise recently when using my amp (doesn't matter what the source is, TV, DVD, Tuner) and after the click the sound field changes. I did a bit of testing last night (using the test tone) and discovered that after a click I was only getting sound from the left and right front speakers and from the sub-woofer). I unplugged the amp for an hour or so and when I plugged it back in again I got sound from all speakers except the centre one. I've unplugged the amp again and will check it later today to see if the centre one is back on.

Could this be a case of the amp overheating? It is usually left in standby when not on and it's about 5 or 6 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you checked if the center speaker is faulty by substitution with another speaker. DONT connect the center speaker to the other channels - it may be faulty !! If the center channel is still functioning, i.e. sound from the substitute speaker - then the amp may be ok and you possiblt have a faulty center speaker of cable feeding it.

If you don't get sound from the center channel then the amp may have been the problem or has suffered because of a faulty center speaker and will probably need repairing.

Were you using high levels when the problem occurred, is there enough ventilation around the amp, could it have been over heating.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I connected a different speaker to the centre speakers cable but no joy. The surround speakers are gone again now so it's only sound from the fronts and sub. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Used to have a similiar problem except only Left would be on until i raised the volume then right would kick and it would be fine, sadly the raising the volume thing had to be done everytime it came out of standby.

Got rid of the amp shortly afterwards. Try raising the volume they usually kick in suppose when it worked it was a cracking amp and you got a few years out of yours.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Didn't watch much TV over the weekend due to the heatwave ;) . Switched on last night and for 5 or 10 mins all five speakers were working perfectly. Then heard a click and was down to just the front left and right. After about 20 minutes another click and the two rear surround speakers came on. The centre speaker never came back to life though (after the initial 5 or 10 minutes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jarrodn

Hi,
    I was just looking for answers to this problem myself. I have a STR-DE475 unit that has the click sound that alters the speaker output.

I had the sound in surround and when the click happenned, it dropped out the centre speaker, now I can only get decent sound in basic stereo L & R speaker mode.

Furthermore, the clicks seem to happen every 5-15 minutes for the first 45 minutes after turning the unit on, then cease.

Just confirming that a problem exists with the unit, and to avoid purchase, if you're doing any serious research.

-Jarrod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bendaco

sounds like a power problem - loose connection maybe - get it looked at by a sony approved tech

Advertisement