Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Production\Songwriting Collaborator Wanted

• 31-05-2006 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

First, I'm 29 and in the Waterford area.
    Ok, I'm lookin for someone whose interested in working on
    songs both both music and lyrics.
    Also, someone who would be interested in forming a production team
    i.e. recording and working with other bands.
    Before I get into the main bits, I wanna say I'm
    not talking Stock Aiken and waterman or any pop production line setup.
    I talking about making real music and recording real bands and help shaping there music to what they want.
    No experience is needed but some knowledge of recording equipment and music\computer equipment in general is welcomed.
    So basically what I saying is forming a band who do production
    i.e Eno\Lanois, Eno\Bowie, Bowie\Ronson, Chemical Brothers, Steely Dan,
    Boards of Canada etc...
    I have a small home studio and can play, guitar, bass, drums and have some
    music theory knowledge.

Btw,
    If anyone is not in the waterford area and are
    maybe interested in this post.
    We can maybe try somekind of distance working scheme,
    i.e. using the net\email to send lyrics, Wav files, Cubase files, etc..
    and discussing the material using Instant messanger or skype or
    something like that.
    Dunno if this will work but worth tryin out maybe.

J :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Actually thinking of doing something similar myself but more about selling the songs. I have a studio here and would be very interestered. Shouldnt be hard to post albums to be mixed or something.

Live in Meath area if your interested in distance thing. Write music but no lyrics

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Spiritofeden

Hi

Ok, how do you mean sell the songs?
    Advertising, tv, film and to singers looking for material is it?

Sounds ok wouldn't mind givin it a go.
    Yeah more music myself but lyrics I can do but it takes a lot of
    sweating :D
    So what kind of a setup so you have in your studio?
    I'm using Cubase and reason, with an m-audio controller.
    Have a good few plugins and stuff.
    I record guitars thru it also usin guitar rig and various bits like that.

J

I use millions of plugins. Cubase Sx, Kontakt, Battery, EW/QL etc....
    Well if you send me on a song i will see what i can do with it so we get an idea of where we stand.
    You can give me a PM. Will be a few weeks before i get a chance to really do anything though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

I´m in Meath, too, and a lot older than you guys, but that don´t mean a thing, really. I´ve been doing home studio composition a long time, classical, rock, blues, beatles-pop (I´m told), and have one self-penned album on cdbaby - http://cdbaby.com/cd/nohband - it´s a ´live´ album, a bit experimental in that the songs aren´t locked down to any one style (pop alonside jazz with some blue-grass and stuff). You might like some of it, probably not all of it, though.

My favourite is the last track (More than a Lover), though I´ve been told it takes too long to get going. It was certainly the most complex production as I had to multi-track the voice dozens of times to get a sort of a backing-choir thing going. Oh, and everybody hates my voice so don´t even go there. If you´re checking it out, try to imagine someone you like doing the singing.

I´ve started using Lynux but I still go back to Cubase and Cool Edit for recording and mixing while I learn the new stuff and am currently on-and-off working with a lady in Dublin adding music to her lyrics, mostly using a simple drum/bass/guitars line-up (I program the drums).

I´m not sure what contribution I can make, but the idea really appeals to me. Lyrics don´t bother me, btw, they´re all part of the same process afaic.

Anyway, if you want me, I´m in.

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

I'm living in Meath too writing loads of songs lately but can't really get the right sound out from my head on the four-track that i'm using! really time consuming!

• Advertisement

Hi
    I feel like the guy now who's in the middle of
    starting a band in the meath area :)

Maybe you 3 guys should get together and try something :)

I'm still interested in the whole Idea I outlined above
    Does anyone have any ideas how we could maybe do
    a distance collaboration?
    I.e. how to send files to each other, everyone using the same standard software and stuff like that.

I'm on boardband in work but not at home I could get it if need be.
    Also there's the obivious question protecting our work, not saying that
    any of us will steal ideas and parts but just so we can work in the knowledge
    that we are safe in the idea of passing our material to each other.

So if you are really interested reply and lets get some kind
    of working process down and start tweaking the sounds.

J Power :D

Cubase Sx 2 (also have Sonar 3 but use it rarely)
    Reason 3
    Cool Edit
    Emu Emulator X Sound Card + Emulator software sampler
    Korg Legacy Collection
    SampleTank
    Sound Forge
    Lot's of plugins and refils
    Some hardware sound modules too.
    Guitars, Bass, Drums.

just out of curiosity, the software you use, what does it entail? is it hard to get use to???

Hi
    Reason is easy to use straight off but has a good bit of depth
    so you can get stuck into it, it's all synths, samplers, drum machines etc.. in a rack type setup. However it doesn't do audio
    so that's why I use Cubase for recording guitar, bass etc..
    Cubase like all these packages takes time, and it's a constant learning experience.
    So your working on 4 track then yeah?
    J

I'm using a Zoom MRS4 to record the songs then throw them on to the pc to convert them to mp3! its not too bad but still cant get the sound i like to get! think the reason is the fact that it's just me doing it!
    I heard Cubase is the way to go, but its alot of effort on my behalf right now!

• Advertisement

Hi:cool:

Im in Ennis (Clare) and same story got a bit of a studio going on and would be interested in maybe just even passing a few tracks over and back and see what happens???..

Running a lot of the same sofware as yerself..reason 3, cubase sx2..and just getting into ableton live at the minute..

Im currently in the process of upgrading the pc to a 64 bit version, which is taking a bit longer than i thought, but should be up and running soon enough..

Id really only be into the music side of things, lyrics aint really my thing..my own stuffs just sorta odd electronica with samples from films n stuff over it, but i cant ever finish anything..only get them to a certain stage and hit a wall..

so whatever ya think...

dream brother i am here in athboy in meath if you wanna see and mess around with cubase sometime. Just offering

hey sei046,
    sounds like a good plan. I'm living in navan, and working during the day, but should be free during the nights and some weekends! kinda busy this week but I might as well give it a lash!

well i am busy for next two weeks really anyway but if you drop me a pm sometime i have no prob with ya having a mess around with cubase. Have a load of NI's software and plugins too which ya may want to get to know

Dreambrother, I use a Zoom MRS4 as well for demoing, which is a terrific little machine, but really needs the back-up power of Cubase and Cool Edit (or similar) for anything more serious. It is time consuming, because you have to get so close to perfect and retakes always take a lot longer than you think, if you're anything like me. Your difficulty with 'sound' might be down to the mics you're using and the way you're recording the guitars (or whatever). That real studio sound can come at a price, but there's still a lot you can do with EQing and the like in Cubase or Cool Edit. How do you set up for a recording? What mics do you have? Which instruments are disappointing you?

Spiritofeden, it's a little pointless sending MP3s as anything but a demo, imx, so broadband would almost certainly become a necessity for exchanging raw WAVs, which is probably the only sensible way to put things together across the net.

I'd suggest initially, though, sending each of us a simple MP3 demo (maybe just guitar and voice or something) of one song you'd like to have us work on, with or without lyrics. We could then each respond with an arrangement and (maybe) some lyrics and then you could decide where our strengths lay. For round two, you might then send a backing track to one of us for, say, a synth backing, to another of us for lyrics and maybe another for some guitar or live drums.

I suppose it'd be like you auditioning us and building a database of people with skills you'd like to work with. Anyway, if you want to kick off by sending us something, you only need to publish it to protect it, and publishing can be as simple as putting it as an MP3 on your website; or sending a copy to a couple of trusted friends (not family). Prior ownership of the fundamental idea is all you need to prove if it ever comes to a court case. Even a recording of a performance in your local pub would probably be enough, provided there was a poster or something to prove the event took place.

Google "copyright protection" or "rights ownership" if you want to find out more or pick up a copy of the Writers and Artists Handbook from the library.

Maybe someone else will add to the protection side of things. Meanwhile, I'm standing by for whatever you want to try.

Hi
    Yeah good ideas, lads.
    Ok I've got some stuff in reason, mostly unfinished
    that I could put together in a mp3 if you just wanna hear it.
    then see wot you think.
    I'll try get it together during the week.
    J :D

hey lads,
    just a question, since i only have the net at work, and its not broadband, any suggestions on how to transfer the files so that we can listen to them. Would Email be too crazy??

MP3s by E-mail aren't a major problem once or twice, depending on the speed of your connection. WAVs are bigger files and a three minute piece can take an hour to upload. I remember sending a 3 minute piece over a dial-up before I got the broadband in and it took 20 minutes to upload. And that was only the first of eight. I took the rest into work on a memory stick and sent them from there.

Given it was a Saturday and probably a slow link, it was one of the reasons I got the broadband in in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭djeddy

i write songs and sing them on to tape or cd, i then get someone to
    arrange them,

i have a pop/dance song of mine @ the following golddisc link

www.goldcd.co.uk/eamonn.htm :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

For sending each other songs files etc my advice would be putting the file you wish to send on a cd or mem stick. take it to work or wherever you get your broadband connection from. put it into the computer and upload it to somewhere like

http:// www.megaupload.com

when you upload to this site it will hold the file for a week, it will email the link to whoever you wish to email it to, and best of all its free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dalema

sei046 wrote:
    I use millions of plugins. Cubase Sx, Kontakt, Battery, EW/QL etc....
    Well if you send me on a song i will see what i can do with it so we get an idea of where we stand.
    You can give me a PM. Will be a few weeks before i get a chance to really do anything though

Hi, am a lyricist/vocalist/songwriter but not well up on all the computer software programs out there so would love to collaborate with someone who knows their stuff - am starting a music technology masters in trinity in October so will have to learn some time, but right now I'm more interested in getting the songs I have out there than learning new software packages. Would be interested in selling some songs and making a demo with others. Currently in a band performing around Dublin, we have 2 songs on the web at www.myspace.com/theaudionce ... both need work, and would be very interested to see what anyone could come up with. I have a lot of other songs (more my own stuff than the band I'm in) that I have rough recordings of so if your interested in hearing them/collaborating please send me a pm or email me at dalema@gmail.com thanks Emma

Advertisement