Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly cat..

Options
  • 31-05-2006 12:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

We got a cat from Cats Aid - from another thread inthis forum - and we really enjoy him. Hes a bit of a skobe tho and hes cost us a fortune so far with 2 trips to the vet in the first week as he was sick when we recieved him.
    hes grand now tho and the difference in him is great to see.

theres only 1 problem. Hes really smelly.Is there anything I can use to freshen him up a bit? He has ling hair which is brushed everyday and hes not fed wet food or milk. Theres no reason for him to pong so much!!

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Cats shouldn't smell, i'd take him back to the vets for a check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

could be a bad tooth or a gum problem - gets very stinky, necessitating a vet check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What exactly smells?? The breath or the fur??? Bad breath needs to be checked out - smelly fur may need a wash or you can get a grooming powder that you put on the fur & brush out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Cat Aid gave you a defective Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Bond-007 wrote:
    What exactly smells?? The breath or the fur??? Bad breath needs to be checked out - smelly fur may need a wash or you can get a grooming powder that you put on the fur & brush out.

Good luck with washing a cat...tried that once, never had so much fun in my life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why did they give you a cat that was unwell in the first place, or were you made aware that the cat had some medical issues? What part of him smells, is it his furn, back end, mouth, ears? Have the vet give him another check over, is he neutered? Don't know if cats suffer from blocked anal glands but might be that or something else. Let us know how the little guy gets on, aside from being smelly he sounds lovley:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

I don't know if he became unwell after you had him. If the rescue said he had medical issues they should have made you aware of what they were.
    K.A Gives a complete medical history (Everything including worming and vets findings and healt problems the cat may have?had and any medication given) Away with the cats and also a personality profile, what food it eats etc..

A cat should not smell! It could be anything and it would be silly to speculate.
    Get back on to cats aid try and find out what was wrong with the cat and anything about it's previous history and vet check, I presume a vet checked over the cat before re homing as Cats Aid are usually very good.

Good luck and I hope the cat improves.
    Claire X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

If it's just the fur that's gross, it's easier to take him to a groomer rather than trying to bathe him yourself. They're experienced with handling animals and they've had a lot more practice not getting scratched or bitten.

Advertisement