Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th's disingenious attack on mysteria AKA "Paranormal Forum to go?"

Options
  • 31-05-2006 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so in the last couple of days the Paranormal forum has gone nuts but one this has become clear.

Mysteria, the only one on the forum claiming to be an qualified, professional expert, believes and has posted that the Paranormal is an area where amateurs should not give advice on paranormal matters as they are dangerous and can lead to death.

Now i know there is no Medical forum here as it would be dangerous to receive medical advice in this manner.

So, should the paranormal forum be deleted due to the potential dangers?

btw i know there is a current dissagreement between myself and Mysteria but thats for another Forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939702
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think anyone who claims to be some sort of "professional" in the paranormal needs to be sent to a funny farm.

Have fun, by all means, but lunacy is a very serious illness and Mysteria really should get the help she so obviously needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've come across a few professionals in the paranormal field that I'd say shouldn't be allowed to give advice on paranormal matters.

Some of the most respected experts in the history of the field were always amateurs.

Luckily enough, while more than a few posts on some things have made me want to bang a few posters' heads together, the lack of scientific evidence as to the dangers of such practices means we can't get sued if some fool gets themselves into trouble because they contacted something they couldn't deal with, screwed up their energy, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

CuLT wrote:
    I think anyone who claims to be some sort of "professional" in the paranormal needs to be sent to a funny farm..

a furry funny farm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

6th wrote:
    Now i know there is no Medical forum here as it would be dangerous to receive medical advice in this manner.
    Is that why its not there? I woulda guessed something else, cause I've seen medical issues discussed in many's a forum.
    So, should the paranormal forum be deleted due to the potential dangers?
    I would argue that this is possibly too extreme a solution. Can the charter not be made appropriate to the perceived risk? e.g. Make it a forum where people can discuss topics, but do not permit "what do I do" threads? Make advice-giving a bannable offence? Require registration of some sort to post at all?

Shutting the forum would seem a bit harsh, if not even counter-productive. At the end of the day I would imagine that such an approach is more likely to send someone who wants advice to the AH or PI folders rather than to prevent them from asking. Who's gonna keep an eye on things then?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Professionals?
    ghostbusters.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

what about the specific religion boards.

a lot of advice is given out there.

but what if christianity (for example) isn't the one true religion - think of the consequences, eternal damnation - that's a hell of a lot worse than death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I feel that alot of the time the Paranormal Forum is almost a support group for people who have experienced thing we dont understand. Its a real community over there and its usually a case of people trying to give helpful advice. BUt when a professional comes in tell us that is dangerous for us to give each other advice should we listen to them?

6th wrote:
    BUt when a professional comes in tell us that is dangerous for us to give each other advice should we listen to them?

I think I can speak for most of the people who never post in that particular forum, when I say, when it comes to this area, there are no professionals.... just loonies.. sorry, but there, I've said it...

So should boards note cover itself? Mysteria mentions people killing themselves as they didnt consult experts before dabbling? Surely every amateur in the forum is a danger? maybe Mysteria should be the one true mod?

I sensed somthing like this would happen :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

6th wrote:
    I feel that alot of the time the Paranormal Forum is almost a support group for people who have experienced thing we dont understand. Its a real community over there and its usually a case of people trying to give helpful advice. QUOTE]

This is one good reason to keep the forum open I find it very interesting, especially since I come from a scientific brackground.

I sensed somthing like this would happen :P

OMG
    you have the power!
    Mysteria mentions people killing themselves as they didnt consult experts before dabbling?

erm
    ya
    well, maybe I'm not being clear enough - Nobody in their right mind pays heed to someone that claims to have the 'magik powers'
    I have no time for quacks

Vas_Guy wrote:
    I come from a scientific brackground.

Vas_Guy, show me your credentials! we need to seperate the experts from the amateurs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

What, someone's going to advise shaking vinegar onto the haunted kitchen door and that inadvertantly results in the advisee being sucked into an interdimensional vortex of swirling doom?

Internet, SERIOUS AND POTENTIALLY LETHAL BUSINESS.

Beruthiel wrote:
    OMG
    you have the power!

I'm afraid power alone is no good - we need Phd's and published works thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What about if someone on there suggests that I go to a cabin in the woods and put on a tape of some guy reading from this weird old leather bound book, then one of the girls i'm there with gets ravaged by a tree, and it all goes terribly wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

6th wrote:
    Vas_Guy, show me your credentials! we need to seperate the experts from the amateurs ;)

When it comes to topics of the paranormal I acknowledge your expertise as being far superior to mine. I would describe myself as a curious amateur:)

&#231 wrote: »
    What about if someone on there suggests that I go to a cabin in the woods and put on a tape of some guy reading from this weird old leather bound book, then one of the girls i'm there with gets ravaged by a tree, and it all goes terribly wrong?

if you're that stupid...
    one less moran to quote the fine bill hicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Do I not get consulted about these things?

Jeez. Right, first off, slaps to you and mysteria for the girly bitch fight.

Second, do I sense a bit of Captain Overreaction here?

I reckon any legal matters arising form the discussion of paranormal matters on an internet forum could be easily defended by Lionel Hutz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Carry a chainsaw at ALL TIMES. Also, grow out your eyebrows, memorise some general purpose quips.

This should be put in the charter immediately, for safety.

• Advertisement

Vas_Guy wrote:
    When it comes to topics of the paranormal I acknowledge your expertise as being far superior to mine. I would describe myself as a curious amateur:)

Jeez please Vas dont take it as me talking as an expert - I'm just an enthusiastic amateur!!. Your input, mine or anyone elses, on Paranormal is equally valid and important. Its people coming on claiming to have the asnwers and saying we are dangerous as amateurs that is the problem.

psi wrote:
    Do I not get consulted about these things?

Jeez. Right, first off, slaps to you and mysteria for the girly bitch fight.

Second, do I sense a bit of Captain Overreaction here?

I reckon any legal matters arising form the discussion of paranormal matters on an internet forum could be easily defended by Lionel Hutz.

But Psi though you are a mod, mysteria is an expert. According to her our advice as amateurs could be dangerous. She said it like giving advice on how to take drugs - surely Boards would not allow a drugs forum?

As for the bitching, i took that to the thunderdome after she got personal: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939702

She just wants to save us all (and lets not forget her book, newspaper articles and tours ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

6th wrote:
    But Psi though you are a mod, mysteria is an expert. According to her our advice as amateurs could be as dangerous. She she said it like giving advice on how to take drugs - surely Boards would not allow a drugs forum?

She just wants to save us all (and lets not forget her book, newspaper articles and tours ;)).

If she didn't bay the 5 dollar registration fee to the Psychic Detective School and fill out their entry form from the back of a comic book then she's not a real psychic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I snapped this hiding out my back garden yesterday. Was thinking of posting it in paranormal as I've never seen anyhing like it

bigfoot_patterson04.jpg

But no Psi she is "Ireland's Psychic Queen" we must listen to her, mustnt we? Look at her credentials surely we must stop medeling in dangerous things and leave it to the experts? We dont know any better.

ianmc38 wrote:
    I snapped this hiding out my back garden yesterday. Was thinking of posting it in paranormal as I've never seen anyhing like it

bigfoot_patterson04.jpg

Sorry about that, a chimp stole my clothes and your garden is a shortcut to my house.

oh now you're just trolling 6th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

bonkey wrote:
    Is that why its not there? I woulda guessed something else, cause I've seen medical issues discussed in many's a forum.
    People aren't allowed to give out medical advice. People aren't allowed to solicit medical advice. Beyond that medical issues can be discussed.[/QUOTE]
    6th wrote:
    I feel that alot of the time the Paranormal Forum is almost a support group for people who have experienced thing we dont understand.
    Grand.
    6th wrote:
    Its a real community over there and its usually a case of people trying to give helpful advice. BUt when a professional comes in tell us that is dangerous for us to give each other advice should we listen to them?
    This does not compare to the case of a licensed doctor, lawyer, engineer giving such admonitions.

Thinking of the people that have been influential in the paranormal realm over the last few years the only one that I can think of that could be accurately described as having been a professional psychic for any considerable part of her life is Helen Duncan. And she was only influential because her being locked up under the 1735 Witchcraft Act led to it being repealed by the 1951 Fraudulent Mediums Act.

You could not truly describe Aleister Crowley, Dion Fortune, WB Yeats, Gerard Gardner or SL MacGregor Mathers as professionals. Madame Blavatsky, Alex Sanders and Israel Regardie could at a stretch, but quite a stretch in some cases.
    By the second sequel he'll be sucked into another dimension, and won't be able to sue us.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    what about the specific religion boards.

a lot of advice is given out there..

Can't vouch for the others but the Islam forum has it in the Charter that you are not to take peoples comments as gospel (no pun intended).

Para forum is grand. I'm predicting a funny response. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

6th wrote:
    Mysteria, the only one on the forum claiming to be an qualified, professional expert, believes and has posted that the Paranormal is an area where amateurs should not give advice on paranormal matters as they are dangerous and can lead to death.

I see a sign..... sign the cheque!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement