Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 €630 in Ireland

• 31-05-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was just up in Smyths to see about pre booking a PS3 and she was told its €630 (for the 60GIG version) and that you have to buy a game on release date too (another €70) so we're talking €700!!

my real question is why are Irish custimers being charged €630 when the EU price for the 60Gig version is €599..are we not part of the EU?

Rip off Ireland is still going strong....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If people refused to pay it, they'd soon get the message and redice the price, but people will pay the money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

I know the price is high as with every new technology i.e. bluray but the thing that gets me is the extra €31 thrown in there for good measure..
    i wont be getting mine in ireland i can tell you, its a matter of principles you see. ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Most EU countries have 16% Vat or less, Ireland has 21%. Thats driving the price up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yet another reason not to buy the ps3....

Wii ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also that WEEE thing aswell, probably added another €10 to the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Most EU countries have 16% Vat or less, Ireland has 21%. Thats driving the price up a bit

i though Ireland had a fairly normal VAT rate in the EU
    - dont a lot of EU countries have 25% VAT?

Just seems a bit funny to give this price for the EU and then every country will actually have a differnet price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

We normally get charged the sterling price, which is higher than the euro price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jones wrote:
    A friend of mine was just up in Smyths to see about pre booking a PS3 and she was told its €630 (for the 60GIG version) and that you have to buy a game on release date too (another €70) so we're talking €700!!

my real question is why are Irish custimers being charged €630 when the EU price for the 60Gig version is €599..are we not part of the EU?

I agree with you totally. When the PS2 was launching, I remember a few people starting up a petition and plenty of people signed it but it did nothing.

Fact is that parents will pay it. Irish people have the disposable income now and I think we all know that the PS3 will be the most sought after gift this Xmas.

As for the EU price, I don't want to turn this into an economic discussion but Sony could probably argue we've it handy in Ireland. In countries like the Czech Republic, the minimum wage is about 2.50. Here, its 7.80.

Think about how many hours the poor people are going to have to work over there to fork out 699!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Lemlin, I don't know what you think, but I doubt a lot of people on the €2.50 an hour wage in the Czech Republic will be preoccupied with buying a PS3 this Christmas. Fact of the matter is, Ireland is a rip off, end of story - there's no justification for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

You know I feel sorry for?
    The parents come christmas time, I was thinking that the x360 was insane, and sony seems to of misunderstood the concetp of 'doing one better than the other guy' and now kids who don't really look at the price will be demanding this thing for santas birthday, and they will buckle.

If it wasen't for the fact that I am really intrested in seeing what the wii does, I would of gotten one just on principle. Viva la revolut.... Wii! Viva la Wii!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Laguna wrote:
    Lemlin, I don't know what you think, but I doubt a lot of people on the €2.50 an hour wage in the Czech Republic will be preoccupied with buying a PS3 this Christmas. Fact of the matter is, Ireland is a rip off, end of story - there's no justification for it.

I think that was the point. They can't afford it - we can!

Edit: Not saying the price of the PS3 itself is justified.. but some countries are a lot worse off than us, when it comes to goods of all types. Ireland is only expensive because people have money to burn.

Laguna wrote:

Ireland is only a rip off because we're paid too much. The people on the 2.50 an hour wage are students and young people just like many of us here. They would be the main demographic that Sony would be looking at.
    steviec wrote:
    I think that was the point. They can't afford it - we can!

Edit: Not saying the price of the PS3 itself is justified.. but some countries are a lot worse off than us, when it comes to goods of all types. Ireland is only expensive because people have money to burn.

And people have money to burn because we're all overpaid, much as I hate to say it. The average industrial worker in Northern Ireland gets 27% less a week than the average industrial worker in the Republic according to studies carried out. That's despite the fact that they're living on the same island.

The fact of the matter is that I think other Europeans have far more to complain about than us.

Now, this is getting into too much of an Economics class for me! This is a games board after all.

The fact is that the demand will be there, so much so that Sony are already predicting shortages. Therefore €630 is going to be the price and there's not much you can do about it except wait a year or so until the price goes down. The best games usually don't come out until half way through a console's life anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

those in Finland must be laughing at the rest of us

/me shakes fist at their high wages

Mossy Monk wrote:
    those in Finland must be laughing at the rest of us

/me shakes fist at their high wages

LMAO :D

Good one but I did say we had it better than alot of Europe, not all of Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

jones wrote:

Does that mean that Smyths/Game etc are taking pre-orders ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lemlin wrote:
    The fact is that the demand will be there, so much so that Sony are already predicting shortages.

...........lol...............:rolleyes:

...........lol...............:rolleyes:

Okay, maybe I worded that point wrong when writing it. What I mean is that they're not going to have difficulty shipping whatever units they have so why would they even think about dropping the price.

Some people on this thread have mentioned knowing people already going to book the console. Those are people who know full well the price is €630 or so.

EDIT: Was talking to a fella in Smyths there this evening. He said they're not even guaranteeing consoles for anyone who comes in and puts a deposit on one now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

jones wrote:
    and that you have to buy a game on release date too
    What ?? Why do you HAVE too ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Skyuser wrote:
    What ?? Why do you HAVE too ??
    :rolleyes:

Are you going to buy a €600 console to leave it sitting under the TV with nothing to do on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

well you could always mess around with linux....thrilling:P

• Advertisement

I dont think any shops will gaurentee one for people who place deposits, only way your gonna get one of these babys is camp outside smyths the night before.:D

I dont think any shops will gaurentee one for people who place deposits, only way your gonna get one of these babys is camp outside smyths the night before.:D

I was in Smyths last nite and saw a fella putting a deposit on one. I was asking a member of staff who worked there and he said he was dreading the day it launched, didn't want to work. Reckons they can't even guarantee consoles for people who put down a deposit now.

Yeah I read your post already :rolleyes: thats why I reckon only way your gaurenteed to get one on launch, is be first in the Q that morning, and use sheer brute force to walk out with one :D

From what he was saying though, they can't even guarantee that they'll have one because the shortages will be that bad.

He reckons the deicated games shops like Gamestop and Game would get their supplies first.

He said they usually only got about 3 copies of new releases in for the first week until stock was available. For example, he hadn't even any Rockstar Table Tennis last night, he told me they only got 2 or three copies and Blanch is one of their busiest stores.

He reckoned it'd be no different with the PS3 stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wont bother buying a PS3 straight way. want to hear opinions first. it is a lot of money for a console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

The PS3 is £425 over here. Checked it out in GameStation in Barking, East London and that is the price they are quoting. Personally, I'm waiting till the price goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

630?? Thats a bit much. Parents have already told their kids they can have it...theyre gonna get a shock. Then again ..a well trained kid will always be prepared for the worst. Kids are pampered too much these days.

Jesus I sound old...but they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

bennyx_o wrote:
    If people refused to pay it, they'd soon get the message and redice the price, but people will pay the money for it.
    Unfortunately we don't have the option of just walking/driving over a border and picking one up at a neighbouring country like most of the EU.

For this reason, they know they can get away with charging a little extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I overheard a woman in a supermarket the other day.
    She was ranting that she would be broke at Christmas beacause the PS3 was going to cost 600 euro.
    She had two kids and she was going to buy a PS3 for each child because if they had only one between them, they would 'Rip each others heads off':eek:
    Sad ,very sad.
    Thank God I dont have children .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

really though would she not even have the sense to buy different ones. I mean would they not say it to her to get 1 of them a 360 and the other a ps3.......or she could use a new word i invented, its called "no".

Advertisement