Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on barebones HTPC setup

• 31-05-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some feedback on the following rig for a HTPC setup. It will be used as a soundsystem, and hopefully to play video stored on a central server on the network

- Aopen XC Cube EX761 here
    - AMD Semperon 2800 @ 1.6ghz
    - full 2 gigs of RAM

Feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Perfect!

2GB of RAM will be wasted unless you plan gaming though. 512 is sufficent, even for rather bloated MCE.

CPU is fine (1.6Ghz Pentium, or equiv is enough for most HTPCs). Although if you plan viewing HD content, you may want to go up to a 2800 or 3200. I cant comment on how good semperons are with HD, but im sure they are well up to the task. I guess also from this perspective, S754 may limit you in the future.

The only other consideration is how much noise its going to generate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

So i may limit the RAM then, all the better for the budget

I'm not worried about the s754 board, as long as it's fairly capable i'm happy. Especially when you take price into consideration! This will be a one-time setup to handle media tasks, so i'm not worried that s754 technology is 'dead'

I think it should run quietly enough. Should be fun once it's done

Yea, S754 should be fine, until you decide to watch HD content. At that stage a faster S754 chip may be hard to get, thats what I meant. Although you can overclock too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

If HDTV is my only stumbling block I won't be too upset

:)

beans wrote:
    If HDTV is my only stumbling block I won't be too upset

:)

groovy é sin, siné groovy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Well, Just to let you know. I have an Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1.8Ghz with 1GB DDR and it can't play HD content correctly. It just stutters, Also it has a 128MB nVidia Ti4200 in it if that effects its playing ability. But watching normal video footage or what ever you would do on a normal system works fine.

If you are going for a socket 754, look out for a cheap Athlon 64 3000+. I have ones of these, Plenty fast they are.. Plays all HD content without a bother. Check out the for sale section on boards, Pick one up cheap 2nd hand.

Hj

Advertisement