Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone nearly hit a pedestrian?

Options
  • 31-05-2006 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I was driving home from Cavan the other night on the Cavan to Cootehill road at about 10.45, so it was basically completely dark. For those that have never driven on this road, it is not exactly one of the county's best roads. The car up ahead of me pulled into the right hand side to reverse into his driveway. He had space in front of his garden to do this so there wasn't much need to slow down, but I did need to dip my lights. Next thing this guy appears in front of me, walking with his back to me (which is the wrong side of the road), dressed from head to toe in navy/black. I'd imagine that I missed him by inches.

I have to admit when driving on secondary roads, that one of my greatest fears is that when I have to dip my lights, especially for oncoming traffic, that somebody may be walking along the side of the road. Do pedestrians not realise that when they're dressed in dark clothes, that it's next to impossible to see them, or that they are recommended to walk towards oncoming traffic for a reason.

Has anyone else had near misses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Once, in Limerick City a fella was crossing the road between two parked vans, I couldnt see him he couldnt see me, he walked clean out in front of me, I slammed on the brakes and beeped him, he got such a fright he fell over, we both laughed after it, so no I've never hit a person but I knocked one over hahaha!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp ...drive on similar roads every day, it's my biggest fear.

Luckily all the people in the area have copped on to how dangerous this road is and don't go out without a full dayglow kit or at least a torch.

Walking on the other side of the road, into the oncoming traffic, still doesn't make it easier for a driver to see a pedestrian. All it does is to give the pedestrian a better chance at a live saving desperate jump into the hedge/ ditch as he/she won't be surprised from behind.

When I have to dip my lights I make it my point to slow down. But with oncoming traffic blinding you, you still can't see a thing. A pedestrian in dark clothes hasn't a hope of getting noticed. The road I travel on regularly is so narrow that there is just enough room for two cars to pass. No room for an additional pedestrian / cyclist. Fine by day ...you just stop in time. At night time all you can do really is hope and pray that there is nobody out walking when you meet oncoming traffic. Add to that the fact that the road is also very bendy and it gets even scarier.

(this by the way is the main reason why I don't cycle into work, even though it's only 6 miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Carb

I know what you mean.

I know that scretch of the road as well.

Carrickmacross - Dundalk road you always have people walking around it but at least they wear those reflective jackets or have a flash light, walking without this is sucidie.

I am a fecker for laying on the horn in town where people think that they have a right of way when crossing the roads its crazy, like you go to Dublin and you do not step off the path as you know that a Dublin driver will bull on if your in the way or not.

Carb, any chance you can point me in the direction of the Honda and Opel garage in Cavan town, I cant find it. Anywhere around the Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

peasant wrote:
    Yepp ...drive on similar roads every day, it's my biggest fear.

Luckily all the people in the area have copped on to how dangerous this road is and don't go out without a full dayglow kit or at least a torch.

Walking on the other side of the road, into the oncoming traffic, still doesn't make it easier for a driver to see a pedestrian. All it does is to give the pedestrian a better chance at a live saving desperate jump into the hedge/ ditch as he/she won't be surprised from behind.

When I have to dip my lights I make it my point to slow down. But with oncoming traffic blinding you, you still can't see a thing. A pedestrian in dark clothes hasn't a hope of getting noticed. The road I travel on regularly is so narrow that there is just enough room for two cars to pass. No room for an additional pedestrian / cyclist. Fine by day ...you just stop in time. At night time all you can do really is hope and pray that there is nobody out walking when you meet oncoming traffic. Add to that the fact that the road is also very bendy and it gets even scarier.

(this by the way is the main reason why I don't cycle into work, even though it's only 6 miles)

Driving outside Galway last week. Behind the Ballybritt Ind Estate there is a slip road that takes you onto the dual carriageway to Oranmore. Just at the start of the slip road, a cyclist swerved in from the dual carraigaway infront of me, peddling like hell he was. I pulled up as hgard as i could, and i was still gaining on him so had to run onto the side gravel. I could see the shape of the tire grooves on the back wheel. Pulled up i reckon about an inch from him. he heard me then when i hit the stones and apologised. I basically told him, that he just avoided a horrible death. He was brazilian. He tohugh the slip road was a hard shoulder i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No near misses but a couple of direct hits to report...
    My 2nd cousin was walking along a road one night near Newtownbutler, Co. Fermanagh and he was hit and killed by a car. As far as I know the driver was also a friend of his. Also, one night while driving down a dark street in Derry my brother hit a drunkard who fell onto the road from between a couple of parked cars. The accident happened at very slow speed yet the way the guy fell headfirst into the car killed him. (The bro' was faultless in the accdent was fully cleared of any wrong doing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

kluivert wrote:
    Carb, any chance you can point me in the direction of the Honda and Opel garage in Cavan town, I cant find it. Anywhere around the Hospital.

I've only been to the hospital, travelling from the Cootehill direction. Hondas address is Ballinagh Road, Cavan Town, so I'm sure this road would be signposted. Opel is on the Dublin Road, but I'm not sure if its easier to use the bypass or not. I'm sure there's somebody from Cavan knocking about the motors forum. Are you avoiding Monaghan dealers or pricing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realise what side of the road they should be walking on, day or night, or that wearing black alone isn't a good idea!

I nearly hit a woman as I was coming along the back roads from the Ashbourne road to Tyrellstown. She was walking on the wrong side around a blind bend in broad daylight but it made no difference. I missed her by inches. Scared the sh1te out of me. I was cursing her for the next couple of minutes, probably out of shock. What was worse was that she seemed to be completely oblivious to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

el tel wrote:
    No near misses but a couple of direct hits to report...
    My 2nd cousin was walking along a road one night near Newtownbutler, Co. Fermanagh and he was hit and killed by a car. As far as I know the driver was also a friend of his. Also, one night while driving down a dark street in Derry my brother hit a drunkard who fell onto the road from between a couple of parked cars. The accident happened at very slow speed yet the way the guy fell headfirst into the car killed him. (The bro' was faultless in the accdent was fully cleared of any wrong doing).

Christ, thats bad luck. My brother was hit, but only difference was that the guys that were driving the car must have thought it would be funny to swerve into the hard shoulder to hit him. Lucky enough, they only got him with the wing mirror, which knocked him to the ground and left him with a sore shoulder, but nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Does'nt matter when and where, pedestrians can walk out at anytime.

Around Dublin City centre, i.e in front of Trinity College is the worst, the amount of people that nearly loose there lives in front of a bus is unreal!

Although i have run over a pedestrian on the quays in broad daylight! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Touch wood, I've never hit a pedestrian, and hope I never will. The nearest I've been is seeing some guy get run over by a tram in Blackpool. He was lucky in that although he went under the front of the tram, the driver managed to stop before be became intimate with the wheels or axles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Its not a nice expierience! Apart from that its always the drivers fault when a Ped is hit, unless he/she is running i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If I had a Euro for every time a pedestrian walked out in front of me in the city center I'd be a rich man. I drive a bike and when you are turning on a bike it is not recommended you break and pedestrians seem to like crossing on corners. Most people are under the impression that when they are crossing the road cars and bikes can stop on a 6 pence and will stop for them.

I have had a couple of near misses with pedestrians in the city center and to be honest if I hit one out of their stupidity I wouldn't feel at all guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

So many near-misses I've lost count and one direct hit where a kid hopped off a path and ran across in front of me without looking - I saw him in time and shed sufficient speed that when I hit him he only rolled onto the bonnet and was unhurt. I however filled my trousers and my heart stopped for at least an hour.

My worst near-miss was on a test drive one friday evening on the Howth Road, I was approaching the speed limit in a 'classic car' when a nun stepped off the pavement up ahead and I passed her with inches to spare, all four tyres locked up and the car going sideways. Another trouser-filler but I still bought the car and got closer to God.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The worst I've hit is a rabbit... with my leg... on a motorbike... at 60mph. That was a bit of a trouser-filler too :eek:

Advertisement