Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything positive about IBB

• 31-05-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

all i can find are negative comments about IBB surely there must be some happy customers out there cause i cant see how they are making money if they provide people with dial-up like speeds for €50 a month.

its the only type of BB i can get. can anyone tell why other people are getting dial-up speeds? is it because of bad equipment or over subscription or what? i live just outside cork city in the country where the population is low and i can only imagine how low the number of internet users is. will this be a help? also the mast was only put up in the last month so would this help?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, 20 gigs in 2 days :) . When it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

happy customers rarely post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

is that cause there are so few of them or what?

how often does it go slow? and is it really slower than dial-up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Happy Customer do post once these threads go on a bit , and they exist.

If you are on a quiet sector of a mast it can be a life enhancing experience.

If you are on the busy or congested /oversold side it can be cruel.

If the mast goes down totally like Bray right now and does not get fixed for 4 days (and it only 10 miles from IBB HQ) it can be scary .

Christina Byrne Was very recently appointed chief customer wotsit and said to the papers
    "This is being rectified, said Byrne, through the use of special bandwidth management technology at the firm's Sandyford base. The result is that it has not had to throw heavy ' users off its network.

"I don't know of any customer that we've written to because we have people managing it," she said. "We just manage their traffic down. Generally, it's not a problem for us."

A related issue is the network itself. With such a heavy rise in subscribers, is it 'maxed out?

"A number of areas are maxed, but that doesn't affect the quality or speeds of customers' broadband," said Byrne. "Nevertheless, just to be sure, we're currently grooming the number of customers from a maximum of 100 in a given area to a maximum of 75 as a built-in cushion."

You may be on a quiet sector, why not ask ???

ill ring them later on.

a weird thing just happened. i looked at their coverage map yesterday and it showed cork with like blue patches over it indicating coverage and it had my area named on the map but i just checked again and it went back to the old map which just has a blue line around the city indicating coverage inside the line. whats up with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Happy(ish) customer here...

Ripwave goes most of the bad press, it's very unstable. First thing you do if you get it is download a download program that will allow you to resume half-finished downloads

Breeze is better. Never had a dropped connection with it. Usually fast, have left the PC on and connected for five days downloading various tv eisodes and stuff

I will however, be cancelling my contract in July. Nothing to do with the broadband, but because it takes forever for them to answer the bloody phone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

what kind of speeds are you getting? what package are you on and what area are you in? is it heavily populated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've tried it in a few different places and by and large the service quality is completely random. It doesn't really matter what it's like today, it could be crap tomorrow. And if it's crap IBB will not do much anything to fix it. By some miracle it might sort itself out again and it's happy days. If you want that kind of uncertainty, they're for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'm on RTE mast, Breeze 2mb product.
    Download speed 2mbps, upload 5mbps.

Works perfectly for me. Low pings, stable connection. Had loss of service/performance twice. First time it was fixed in about 2 days. Second time was slower than dial up for 9 days. Eventually sent engineers out and they fixed.

My biggest problem with IBB is that their customer service is shit. How they haven't fired their customer services manager I don't know. A lot of the staff answering phones are clueless and even when I tell them what the problem is, they are not in a position to do anything about it. Even the engineers said that tech support is a joke.

If we had a choice of another provider we probably would have gone with someone else. I'm a bit wary recommending them to people because while you might get a perfect connection like me, there is also a high risk of getting one that is shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

blocparty wrote:
    what kind of speeds are you getting? what package are you on and what area are you in? is it heavily populated?

Not very techie, here so bear with me. Am in South Dublin, think I'm on the three rock mast. Download speeds tend to be about 40-50 K/sec, not sure about upload. I have 1mb Breeze.

Customer service is variable, it's just getting throught to them is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

One of my friends is on ripwave in stillorgan and she was getting a flat out 62 kB/s download from it yesterday. Faster than my 512 kB line ever was from BT....

That said she normally gets more like 12 kB out of it though.

One of my friends is on ripwave in stillorgan and she was getting a flat out 62 kB/s download from it yesterday. Faster than my 512 kB line ever was from BT....

That said she normally gets more like 12 kB out of it though.

Ah, yes, but how often does she lose the signal...?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Just been on to thier technical support- I told than than the 1MB broadband I'm paying 35 a month for is less than Dial up- they said there wasn't many troubleshooting steps they could take. Stay away from Wireless arse bandits clearwire IBB and Esat BT. All praise the cable run!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am very happy with them in general!!

where bouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Ah, yes, but how often does she lose the signal...?

Don't think the signal ever really drops on her. It's strange because if you try and sign up for her house it says shes out of coverage, and according to her maps she is. Shes borrowing the modem from someone who was using it on campus at ucd and getting 2 kB/s out of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't think the signal ever really drops on her. It's strange because if you try and sign up for her house it says shes out of coverage, and according to her maps she is. Shes borrowing the modem from someone who was using it on campus at ucd and getting 2 kB/s out of it...

Im also Technicly out of coverage, im in D.6 and although I can see 3 Rock from my house the engineer put me on the Tallagh mast which is quite a few miles away over some hills. Connection has been close to perfect for 2 months and I'm pulling close to 3mb down and up lately even though I'm on a 2 mb line. Tbh I dont think there is anybody sharing a line with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

I got it for a friend in South Dublin and he's happy. He had dial-up but connection time was too long and he didn't like the phone being tied up. He got ISDN but that was way too expensive. He failed the ADSL line test.

He has ripwave. It needs to be restarted once a week or a fortnight. It's always quicker than ISDN and it costs a flat 18.95/month. Also it's easy to set up, just place it on the window sill upstairs and join to a wireless router.

All ISPs have service failures to some extent and maybe he is just one of the lucky ones. He doesn't care about ping times or upload speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

I've been on the Breeze service in Bray for the last 18 months, and generally am happy enough. OK, there have been problems - 5 days without service this week and a cr*p service department, but show me service that doesn't have problems from time to time.

During the 5 day outage, I was forced back into dial-up [apart from satellite, I have no other options here], and it was a nasty reminder of the pre-IBB days. No way could I go back to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have Breeze 1Mb about 6 montsh now. Connection is great apart from some early hiccups. I'm off the Killaloe base station.
    If it wasn't for IBB I would have little or no decent broadband in my area.
    thegills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

IBB are a joke and despite them still sending me bills 8 months after i cancelled (delete delete) im delighted ive got rid of them,3 months of hell with them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

should i go for breeze lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

not a chance. its too unpredictable of a service for what you're paying, nearly 600e a year. some days even weeks it can be ok but then all of a sudden its either on par with dial up or you have no connection at all. i'm on a 2mb line but at best i would get 1mb speeds with a burst of 2mb the very odd morning around 3am. a complete loss of service for a day is a regular occurence.

their customer service is a load of bollox. there is one girl in particular who has hung up on me on 3 separate occasions, ****ing c*nt. 2 times she hung up when she couldnt answer a simple question and the other after she couldnt find my account. its pointless even ringing them because they just seem to read from a page full of generic answers which have nothing to do with what you're calling about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Could anyone tell me two things.

Are you living in a built up area? -
    Is the service your paying for ****? -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

1MB Breeze here.
    Last few months its been barely usable, but suddenly it picked up about 2 weeks ago. I'm on the same segment as 2 rather large student apartment complexes though (Shanowen Hall & Square) on the Ballymun mast, looks like the speed is going to be OK for the summer though with all the students gone :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wouldn't have thought students would be breeze users as they'd have to get a 12 month contract and install an aerial on their landlord's property. Never mind the cost.

Advertisement