Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Salad

• 31-05-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone got a quick & easy potato salad recipe they'd care to share.
    I've taken a quick look on the net & the recipes coming back are a bit fancy for my tastes. I'm looking for something that "Mammy would make".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Boiled, peeled and diced soapy potatoes, add some mayonnaise, a drop of vinegar, some chopped scallions, salt and pepper, whatever else takes your fancy.
    Shabadu or someone can probably give you a proper recipe but I think that you cant go far wrong with the above and varying it with whatever you want to put into that base mix. Boiled peas are good for example, fresh or frozen, as tinned wont hold their shape. Chopped peppers, sauteed if you want to make them nice and sweet and easier to digest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks B!
    Am off home now to pick up a nice bottle of Chardonnay (or Linden Village?) to have with my BBQed steaks & your potato salad.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally for me:

Boil some small baby new potatoes/salad potatoes, leave to cool then cut into halves or large chunks, depending on the size, leaving the skin on. Add some finely chopped red onion and mix with some a dressing of half mayonaise/creme fraiche to coat, and season generously. Always works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks BuffyBot - I'm feeling the tingle already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Actually, does anyone else use french dressing on theirs? Our family recipe since my Great Great Grandmother's time* has been warm potatoes, cut, mixed with some finely diced onion and coated with dressing made from powdered Coleman's mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper & olive oil. Well, it used to be vegetable oil but you know, the times they are a changing.

*seriously, we remember crap like this in our family. Like, someone compliments the shortbread and the family go "Oh that was Great Aunt Minny. Brought the recipe home from Glasgow after the Great War." or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually, does anyone else use french dressing on theirs?

I know some people who do, and I've often made it in a similar way though I tend to associate the phrase "potato salad" automactically with the mayonnaise coated variety.

Shabadu wrote:
    Actually, does anyone else use french dressing on theirs? Our family recipe since my Great Great Grandmother's time* has been warm potatoes, cut, mixed with some finely diced onion and coated with dressing made from powdered Coleman's mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper & olive oil. Well, it used to be vegetable oil but you know, the times they are a changing.

*seriously, we remember crap like this in our family. Like, someone compliments the shortbread and the family go "Oh that was Great Aunt Minny. Brought the recipe home from Glasgow after the Great War." or something to that effect.

How many of the hun did Aunt Minny kill? A right trooper she was on the front, killing the bosch with her strategically placed draught excluders and dangerously lobbed knitting needles. And her potato salad was the talk of the western front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Blub2k4 wrote:
    How many of the hun did Aunt Minny kill? A right trooper she was on the front, killing the bosch with her strategically placed draught excluders and dangerously lobbed knitting needles. And her potato salad was the talk of the western front.
    That's uncanny. You must be some long lost cousin or something!

You know all that barbed wire used in galipoli? She knitted that she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Show me potato salad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement