Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ex Hertz leased car

Options
  • 31-05-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I bought a car that was owned by Hertz. There have been a couple of owners in between. I didnt get the service history with it and Hertz said they will only give it to the person they sold the car to. I dont know who that is. Any idea how I can find out?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As far as I know once you own the car now they have to give it to you!! Only way is to get onto the Vehicle Registration Office and see if they can tell you who the previous owners were!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

But you will still only get the service record for the time Hertz had it and not the time the other owners had it, so why chase Hertz? Does it have spaceship mileage and do you suspect something hasn't been done? What is it and what is the mileage?

I had several Hertz cars which were leased by the company I worked for. I found their service adherence to be poor...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

As far as I know Hertz only sold it late last year and its 2001 Volvo S40. Mileage is 89k. It was never due a service while the previous owner had it and he bought it from a garage.
    I thought they would have to give it to me.
    I at least wanted to check if the timing belt was done

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Surfer

How you checked the timing belt cover in the engine as general procedure is for the mechanic to write down the mileage on it of when the belt is done.

Yeah I checked and its not written down. Stoopid mechanic!

Where can I find out whats the recommended life of a timing belt in this car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The timing belt on an S40 has 3 intervals depending on engine type. If your S40 has a GDI engine (made by Mitsubishi) then the belt replacement interval is 60000 miles. If it has a Volvo engine then the interval is 96000 miles. The diesel engine needs its belt replaced every 72000 miles.

I hope this is of some help to you..........

crosstownk wrote:
    The timing belt on an S40 has 3 intervals depending on engine type. If your S40 has a GDI engine (made by Mitsubishi) then the belt replacement interval is 60000 miles. If it has a Volvo engine then the interval is 96000 miles. The diesel engine needs its belt replaced every 72000 miles.

I hope this is of some help to you..........

Yeah thanks for that. Its the GDI engine. So I assume it has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kc66 wrote:
    So I assume it has been changed.
    You might be right to assume this - BUT what if hasn't been changed? If it snaps it'll cost you an arm and a leg to repair. I'd subscribe to the "better safe than sorry" theory and get it done if you have any doubt.

Advertisement