Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skateboarding Ireland - **NEW WEBSITE**

Options
  • 31-05-2006 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Skateboarding.ie - Irelands New Skateboarding resource
    I am in the process of setting up a new skatebaording resource for ireland, because i have had enough of not been able to find any details for skateboarding events / good location without having to use american websites or Uk website, i think it is time ireland stepped-up and showed the world that ireland is amoung them in skateboarding, so i have been putting together a detailed website and i want to include as many sk8 location (with pics) of around ireland and NEED YOUR HELP:) !!
    To make this work i need you to send on the locations of your sk8 Parks / Paths / Building's that you grind!!! if you can include photos that would be killer also!! once done my website will have Tips/ tricks area / Forums / Latest Skate news / Latest competitions / and plenty of giveaways of course :rolleyes: -
    I have a few good contacts who might come-over to promote the site e.g Tim Glomb - Sk8ramp.com
    So if you can send all your sk8 pics locations and details to skaters@skateboarding.ie and when i get the site up and running i will send a prize to the user who sent me the most info!!

Thanx

Check out for info (currently undercontruction)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

sk8
    sk8 Parks / Paths / Building's that you grind!!!
    Do you actually skate?
    I have a few good contacts who might come-over to promote the site e.g Tim Glomb - Sk8ramp.com
    First thing I see on this chump's site is a bunch of rubbish about Bam... No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Skateboard-IRL

Well Fish "EYE"
    i have been skating for 11 Years now and yes i may have contacts with bam's crowd but that does not mean i will be adding info about him!. i am trying to give the skaters of ireland a dedicated site to allow them to post info about events and express their voices of option!! Is that such a bad thing!!! I decided to do this as i find ireland lags behind when it comes to skateboarding.
    I would eventually like to pull Skate comp promoters across into ireland have them set-up events (as there are definitley not enough)

Thanks for the post though:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

fisheye wrote:
    Do you actually skate?

First thing I see on this chump's site is a bunch of rubbish about Bam... No thanks.

I hope you dont represent the skating youth of Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Excellent, good stuff I wish I had a place i could reference new tricks etc.. when I was skating other than Thasher mag or Pete's shop at the top of O'Connell st.

Chump ha ha I love it does anyone actually use that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

Man this is exactly what we need so thanks! irish skateboarding seems to hav taken a step or two up in the last couple of years, theres a comp on almost every month in ramp n' rail these days! and what with the new public parks bein built like the one in bushy park things might start to pick up the pace! i dont particularily respect bam or anythin but man if you could get him over here to do a couple of demos and maybe some of the people he's hooked up with it could really put ireland on the map! and thats exactly the stuff we need! we need more people to sponser us too but nobody thinks its worthwhile sponsering kids cuz it'll just be hassle on them! Also we need more teams, we only got like boarderco. and g1 really, and im not even sure if they're international! so anyway man good luck with that all, u'd be helping alot of people! Might even get some more people into skateboarding too! So thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea but the only place this will have an influence is in dublin, maybe cork, never seems to spread into the west, i know people might say theres no demand in the west but if its built they will come:P

shortys94 wrote:
    yea but the only place this will have an influence is in dublin, maybe cork, never seems to spread into the west, i know people might say theres no demand in the west but if its built they will come:P

Well Hopefully with enough feedback from skaters all over ireland, i would like to not concentrate on just one particular area in ireland that is why i need both novice and pro skaters in ireland to send me on pictures and names of the locations they skate so that i can put together a kind of database on the website where a skater can check out the best places to skate in his area, and maybe even join up with other skaters from their area by posting messages and then if they got enough skaters they could discuss or maybe i'll even set-up petition forms online to send to local councils to organise a proposel for a skatepark!!!!

SO if anyone reading this is an avid skater and knows good locations to skate in their local area if they could send an email with pics or links to pictures and i will build it up.

Send emails to skaters@skateboarding.ie

Thanx :)

Well Hopefully with enough feedback from skaters all over ireland, i would like to not concentrate on just one particular area in ireland that is why i need both novice and pro skaters in ireland to send me on pictures and names of the locations they skate so that i can put together a kind of database on the website where a skater can check out the best places to skate in his area, and maybe even join up with other skaters from their area by posting messages and then if they got enough skaters they could discuss or maybe i'll even set-up petition forms online to send to local councils to organise a proposel for a skatepark!!!!

SO if anyone reading this is an avid skater and knows good locations to skate in their local area if they could send an email with pics or links to pictures and i will build it up.

Send emails to skaters@skateboarding.ie

Thanx :)

You should check out www.skateboard.com.au for a glowing example on how to do it right. www.ukskate.org.uk is also worth looking at.

The idea of an Irish skate site has been bandied about many times in the past and some have done well for a short while, then fizzled out due to lack of interest on the part of the site owners. That you can't spell techniques right on your holding page or the pretty abysmal use of images doesn't hold much hope for me. However, if you prove me wrong and make something worthwhile, useful and good, then fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

That you can't spell techniques right on your holding page or the pretty abysmal use of images doesn't hold much hope for me. However, if you prove me wrong and make something worthwhile, useful and good, then fair play to you.

My god what an ego u have, why does he have to prove *you* wrong? I dont think it is abysmal?

You seem to have all the answers why dont you show us all how it is done?

Best of luck with your site mate I will send through some stuff I have on an old pc as a contribution and good luck with the site.

fisheye wrote:
    www.skateboard.ie ..................That you can't spell techniques right

Well Fish "eye"

I can understand where you are coming from, not wanting the skateboarding scene to be exploited or protrayed simply for money making purposes and as i have explained before this is why i want all skaters in ireland to have an input in to this and i'm giving them the opportunity to do so by sending any skating info they would like to show on the site to the email address (skaters@skateboarding.ie). You seem quite passionate at not letting anyone portray their own view and ideas for skatebaoring idea's in ireland, if you are so against this, i would agree with Gunn4r in saying "You seem to have all the answers why dont you show us all how it is done?"

Ps thanks for the tip on the spelling mistake!! It has now been rectified

Thanx for all the feedback so far but keep it coming!!!:D www.skateboarding.ie
    skaters@skateboarding.ie

• Advertisement

Well Fish "eye"

I can understand where you are coming from, not wanting the skateboarding scene to be exploited or protrayed simply for money making purposes and as i have explained before this is why i want all skaters in ireland to have an input in to this and i'm giving them the opportunity to do so by sending any skating info they would like to show on the site to the email address (skaters@skateboarding.ie). You seem quite passionate at not letting anyone portray their own view and ideas for skatebaoring idea's in ireland, if you are so against this, i would agree with Gunn4r in saying "You seem to have all the answers why dont you show us all how it is done?"
    I'm not against it. What I don't like is seeing a good opportunity wasted. Simple as. All too often I see muck touted as gold, yet praised purely because it's Irish in the first place, like the Waterford and Galway "parks" and from what I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong), the Dunshaughlin park, or Suspekt skateboards.

Most countries have their own sort of "national" skate site, like skateboard.com.au or skateboardfederatie.nl - that's what you should be aiming for - the sort of site that will appeal to skate tourists coming to Ireland for a weekend and also do things for skating here as a whole through getting skaters organised for getting quality concrete plazas and parks built, DVDs produced and distributed, news stories, demos, tours, etc. Skating here is going off at the moment - the overall standard of skating here has never been better, but unfortunately, the rest of Europe and the world know nothing about what's going on here. Tell me how you'd like me to help you out and I'll see what I can do, even if it's just reputable contacts (not a mate of Bam's) or helping out with some logos or graphics or whatever.

fisheye wrote:
    Tell me how you'd like me to help you out and I'll see what I can do, even if it's just reputable contacts (not a mate of Bam's) or helping out with some logos or graphics or whatever.

Well FishEye,

Thanks for the Offer, If you send your email address onto me at skaters@skateboarding.ie and i send you an email!!.
    My Site will have an option to allow skaters who have a certain rank to post articles on the main Page of the website and allow them to control what is been viewed also

Thanx again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

This thread/attitude is exactly why Irish skating hasn't amounted to much. A website is a basic requirement to get info out to people, and with the number of Irish companies and shops that are out there its actually alarming that there isn't one there. An online shop would have been a perfect platform to flog Irish products to Irish skaters but it never happened which is puzzling given the nature of the skating scene (small pockets all over the country)

There are a number of magazines on the market yet there isn't one regular column from someone in the Irish scene. There are loads of sports programmes on radio and television and never one report from a comp/demo in Ireland. Skaters all over the world buy vids/DVDs to find out whats going on (not just tricks) but no one produces a regular yearly vid about the Irish scene.

There is no skating association so there will never be a possiblity of Lotto funding or captial state grants. There are no sponsors that invest (really investment, not advertising) in the Irish scene because there is no one to approach. There is no lobby group setup to pressure councils to provide facilities to skaters.

If the guy wants to start a website then its just mad to condem it, or criticise it ... support is what the guy needs. Being honest i think there isn't enough done to pool the information and thats what will keep a site going, up to date reliable information. The information in the Irish scene is completely fragmented and will never provoke interest. What people need to work on is collating information and have a number of people working on suppling info/pics/articles/comp results/etc. and have a number of people updating a site. The ratio should nearly be 5:1. There actually is enough resources there already to do this and building a new site isn't actually needed when assistance could be offered to maintain an existing site but again ..... it is pointless criticising any effort that is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

Cork Skate wrote:
    This thread/attitude is exactly why Irish skating hasn't amounted to much. A website is a basic requirement to get info out to people, and with the number of Irish companies and shops that are out there its actually alarming that there isn't one there. An online shop would have been a perfect platform to flog Irish products to Irish skaters but it never happened which is puzzling given the nature of the skating scene (small pockets all over the country)

There are a number of magazines on the market yet there isn't one regular column from someone in the Irish scene. There are loads of sports programmes on radio and television and never one report from a comp/demo in Ireland. Skaters all over the world buy vids/DVDs to find out whats going on (not just tricks) but no one produces a regular yearly vid about the Irish scene.

There is no skating association so there will never be a possiblity of Lotto funding or captial state grants. There are no sponsors that invest (really investment, not advertising) in the Irish scene because there is no one to approach. There is no lobby group setup to pressure councils to provide facilities to skaters.

this is all never going to happen. never has, never will. simple as.

moonboy wrote:

Hi MoonBoy,
    Don't worry this will go ahead, I have the domain Purchased and I have 85% of the site built, the reason it is taking so long is, i am designing a login system for users, integrated forums, galleries, and tips sections. I am doing this from scratch and it is all orignal.
    But the huge thing holding me back is feedback from Skaters, I need input on this! "i am but one Man" and to be hear i need other voices also, so please send all your skatepark pics / tips / Or Even ideas and this will allow me to build an Irish database not just copied from other countries!

ps missed KingsofConcrete was it good?? :mad:

Thanx for the Feedback so far to all

moonboy wrote:

How do you know this ?

Cork Skate wrote:
    How do you know this ?

Hey Cork Skate,
    Thanks for the support, If you could send on the locations of cork (with pics would be brilliant) and i can add them also, Haven't been down in cork in about a year so i'm sure you have new spots,

Any support is appreciated

Thanx;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

Jaysus lads god forbit ud actually help the man out

Cork Skate wrote:
    www.g1skatesupply.net - though the forums there are bit all over the place and the site itself isn't that great. The rampnrail site could have done something before they got rid of the web site, which was a bad move I think. Dublin is going off lately too by the way.
    Cork Skate wrote:
    There are not that many comps or demos in Ireland anyway. I'd guess that there's no big commercial big money contests here because of the insurance involved. The rash of parks will hopefully do something to change that - you need a showpiece or destination park, like Stoke or Prissick to get the interest in the first place.

There have been videos made - absolutely nothing till 98 or so with the tape to tape efforts of Deconstruction and Swilleaters and Mucksavages; then in 2000 was It can't rain forever, 2002 saw Hidden and Six Counties, 2003 there was the Boarderco promo, 2004 had True Guys and Collective. The thing is that only in the past year or so have prices come down for affordable VX1000s, death lenses and computer hardware - Six Counties was edited on a 60Gb off the shelf PC. Unfortunately, that Dirty Dublin vid premiered in January and we haven't seen anything since, which is a shame. Right now in Dublin, there's 3 or 4 guys with VX1000s and VX2100 - they've all got easy access to rad skaters and spots and between them, if they got their **** together, they could do another First Broadcast or Europa or North.

Stef J used do some Irish news in Sidewalk each month, but unfortunately used it to solely push his own brands as a sales rep and slag off G1/Rukos and stupidly caused a heap of totally unneccessary ****e. As a result, his services were dropped - no more news or photos from Stef. Whether your a friend or foe of Rukos, it doesn't matter - all that did was cause more political crap here and cast Irish skating in a bad light.

All the mags in the UK (Document, Sidewalk and Kingpin) do actually have a lot of love for Ireland, but they do need relevant news to put in, like videos in progress, local tours, contests and demos. Unfortunately too, advertisers also demand coverage of their riders, which means that often, but not always, the unheard of underdog doesn't get that photo. The thing is that UK and Euro brands like Cliche, Blueprint, Landscape and Alai should be doing better than any US brands, mainly down to local-ness and relevance. But they don't sell here half as much as US brands, so these companies don't sponsor anybody here and so the locals don't buy these brands. Double edged sword really. Then again, look at Richard Gilligan's work - all of his photos are straight up amazing - top notch lighting (or lack of it), raw, grainy style and composition and then he prints them himself. Send stuff to the mags of a similar quality and they'll run it. Or start up your own webzine like www.circleskateboarding.com or www.lovenskate.com.

And while I'm at it, any up and coming skaters who want to do well for themselves need to get in the mags and get known. They need to go to England on a regular basis, hook up with the photographers and magazine guys there and get their names known. It won't happen in by staying in Ireland or only going to Barcelona where every skater goes. Travel to the UK, travel around Europe to Prague, Malmo, Marseilles, Brussels, Berlin, Utrecht, Athens, Sofia.... Visit different cities, get to know different people, network, build up a name for Irish skating - I guarantee you hardly any skater has skated in Brazil, but because of the likes of Nilton Neves, Rodrigo Tx, Burnquist, etc. travelling to Euro comps, everybody knows that Brazil produces some sick skaters. Bernard Rae, Wayne G and Blayney were going to Radlands from early ages when it first opened and Blayney's been on Vans UK for over 10 years now, Bernard on Emerica and Wayne still gets Globe stuff I think. All the industry heads know them because they travelled. Exact same for Conhuir Lynn - regularly went to the UK, shot footage and photos and now look at him.
    Cork Skate wrote:
    Nail on the head. This country needs something like the www.ukskate.org.uk but it's an Irish thing where people just want somebody else to do it for them, unfortunately.
    Cork Skate wrote:
    If the guy wants to start a website then its just mad to condem it, or criticise it ... support is what the guy needs. Being honest i think there isn't enough done to pool the information and thats what will keep a site going, up to date reliable information. The information in the Irish scene is completely fragmented and will never provoke interest. What people need to work on is collating information and have a number of people working on suppling info/pics/articles/comp results/etc. and have a number of people updating a site. The ratio should nearly be 5:1. There actually is enough resources there already to do this and building a new site isn't actually needed when assistance could be offered to maintain an existing site but again ..... it is pointless criticising any effort that is made.

I remember a web developer from Cork a few years back tried to start something like this, but then ****ed off to Australia, which was a shame as he knew how to code something properly. I still think that any pitch using words like "sk8 Parks / Paths / Building's that you grind!!!" sounds like it's coming from some clueless 38 year old advertising executive trying to be down with the youth by using their "cool lingo" and sell mobile phones using some footage of a padded-up non-skater wobbling on a stationary board... I think skateboarding-IRL's initial pitch was rubbish from the start. Sorry, but if something's crap, then it's crap. It isn't special school where everyone gets congratulated, even if all they manage to do is spill the finger paints. However, I think he's shown that he knows what he's at in the meantime and I am down to help out where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

skating for me has always been about going out with your buddies and your boards and just skating. screw funding and coverage and ****.
    go out with your mates and skate.
    and enjoy it while you can still walk/
    its late.
    that is all.

EDIT: and im sorry but fisheye is right about a lot of things.

• Advertisement

moonboy wrote:
    EDIT: and im sorry but fisheye is right about a lot of things.

Totally agreed, i agree .... he aint far off it at all.
    moonboy wrote:
    skating for me has always been about going out with your buddies and your boards and just skating. screw funding and coverage and ****.

But if people devoted a small bit of time and try and sort shít out then it would make the whole scene alot better for everyone. There are huge plus sides to putting in a bit of effort, tangible worthwhile benefits and the funny thing about it is, most minority group are completely entitled to it .... its just a case of asking for it. There is a right and wrong way to ask i agree but if you dont ask i will guarantee you one thing ...... you'll never get anything !!
    go out with your mates and skate.
    and enjoy it while you can still walk/
    its late. that is all.

You said it right there fella !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Just to the OP of this thread, me and my friends are setting up a site of our own wqhich will help promote skaters in the area. It will be a free service and our hope is to get the people in Ireland who dedicate their time to skating noticed.

We will promote as much as we can and hopefully get sponsorship for people. We will upload videos and photos to personal profiles on the site.

Hopefully, we could eventually expand to online sales and possibly even open a shop but it is intended to be a free outlet for the talent of upcoming irish skaters because there are so many and no way to get noticed.

Would really appreciate a link on your site to ours when we have it up and running. We will of course offer the same back! Let me know as soon as ya know. Many thanks.
    ~SOB~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

hows skateboarding.ie coming along?

skate4evr wrote:
    hows skateboarding.ie coming along?

Hey "skate4evr",
    Site coming along nicely, had a few issue but the structure but sorted that out now, Still trying to get a hold of all the various locations for my map section but should be much longer

I'll post an update again when closer to finish as i started a new job and it eatin g into my design time :(

Thanx for the post

Skateboard IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

well there is a new halfpipe and flat ramp in 'the boneyard' in bundoran id say that should get a mention .....................!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

i can help with the site if you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kelvyn

Four years later and the site is still not up, hmmmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billo69

Exactly what 'Cork Skate' said, i agree with everything, and this is exactly why the country as a whole is in sh!t, everyone is too worried what someone else is doing, if you dont want to look at a website, dont look at it, if you dont care about it, thats fine but dont slam someone down for trying and probably not even getting paid for it either.

As for 'moonboy' that is exactly what 'Cork Skate' is talking about, and to be honest it is typical irish for everyone to wait for someone else to do it then complaine that it is a 'foreigner' that done it, and lets not buy it its not irish.

Who cares about an irish deck, 7 ply maple wood is 7 ply maple wood.

Sorry for the rant but i was so close to setting up a indoor skatepark in cork but (what i felt) because i am not irish i felt the authorities put so much red tape infront of me that i have decided not to, but what pissed me off more is that i found out today that there is one opening ing the city centre in the next 2 weeks, the only good thing about it is that the guy opening it is one of the nicest guy's you'll meet. (RANT OVER)

So all the gorey, dublin, limerick, waterford, galway people come check it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DCboy13

I think an irish skating website is badly needed, great idea. If there's anything i can do i would happily lend a hand. Do you live in eire?

• Advertisement
Advertisement