Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neon Hair Colouring

• 31-05-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

I've decided it might be fun to change my hair colour from my normal brown to a bright, neon green (or possibly orange if I am so swayed). I don't care that it might not suit my skin tones, or if it looks good with the clothes I normally wear, I just want to do it. It needs to be done before Sunday (I'm going abroad).

I thought I should go to a hairdresser as I've never before done anything to my hair other than washing. I called Peter Mark (the only chain I know) and they said they don't do "crazy colour" and suggested House Of Colour. I called them and I think I'll go for a consultation tomorrow. So before I do that I just want to hear any advice from you guys that might be "in the know". What questions should I ask them? What's the average price for this kind of thing? Has anyone had good/bad experiences with House Of colour?

Seriously, I'm a dunce when it comes to this kind of thing so all help is appreciated.

Up-to-date picture attached for context...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

omg dont!!ur hair is gorgeous the way it is!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Well it wouldn't be a continual thing. It'd just be this once. And if I don't do it in the next few days then I'll have to wait til next Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Ok I know you're not asking advice on whether to get it done or not but I really don't think you should! Your hair suits you the way it is! If you want to go ''mad'' with it, just try a new cut!

Even if it doesn't look good in the end, I still won't regret it. For instance, at some stage I want to shave off all my hair and let it grow back just to have done that once. And I don't think a bald me would look very good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

go for a mullet with pink highlights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm pretty sure they'll have to bleach your hair first, which is permanent.

I could be wrong, but that's the usual way because your hair is too dark for the colour to show otherwise.

I dyed my brown hair blue before and it just went kind of grey. That was with a home kit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I think the most important thing here is would you have the 'loud' personality needed to pull such a 'loud' hair colour off? It would be a huge change, and I spose you must be a little "mad" to want to do this.
    I'm agreeing with prettyinpink above. I don't think you should do it. But if you do....post the pics! :D

Faith wrote:
    I'm pretty sure they'll have to bleach your hair first, which is permanent.
    Yeah, I was thinking about this. And by permanent you just mean that I'd have to let the hair grow to get my brown back? I've got no problems with that.

N.B. Does anyone have any idea of what the price might be? They said they'd give me an estimate at the consultation but I'd like to have a ballpark figure before I go in.

YeAh! wrote:
    But if you do....post the pics! biggrin.gif
    Consider it done. If I go through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you're probably looking at, at least €100 even more if you're going for a full head colouring.

i could be way off in that pricing aswell

Would it matter that my hair isn't as long as other (female) hair? Or does length not come into the price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

It shouldn't be as much as €100 as your hair is very short, I'm not sure, but I would guess around €50 or €60, although any hairdressers can do this, I don't know what Peter Mark are chatting about! It will be permanent because they will need to bleach your hair first and then put in a colour over the top, but if you don't like it, wash it a few times with head and shoulders (this can strip the dye) and then throw in a brown home hair colour over the top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I was thinking about this. And by permanent you just mean that I'd have to let the hair grow to get my brown back? I've got no problems with that.

Yeah, the blonde would never go away. You'd either have to dye over it or let it grow a lot and cut the blonde out. You'll end up with hair like this:

a_benson_bio.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Go for it man, I have jet black hair and I had to get my hair bleached before dying it, it stung like hell but it was the only way to get a dye into it. It was also much shorter than yours.
    The only thing is if you end up shaving it off you'll probably never want to grow it back. Unless you look like a complete tit.
    Best of luck.
    I went bright, bright purple btw.

Well, Faith, Tara is teh sex.
    Roen wrote:
    Go for it man, I have jet black hair and I had to get my hair bleached before dying it, it stung like hell but it was the only way to get a dye into it. It was also much shorter than yours.
    The only thing is if you end up shaving it off you'll probably never want to grow it back. Unless you look like a complete tit.
    Best of luck.
    I went bright, bright purple btw.
    Well I went to House Of Colour on Liffey Street about an hour ago and had a consultation with a really nice guy. They did a skin test on me with some blonde dye (they said the blonde dye would be necessary for me to get a neon green colour out of my dark hair) but I failed the test. My skin went red and it stung a little (not to the point of pain) after a few minutes. They said they couldn't dye me blonde (and therefore green is out of the question) since I reacted badly to the blonde dye. You say they let you do it even though it stung you badly? I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, lol.

Anyway, we moved on to my second choice, neon orange (the blonde dye would not be necessary for this). So we discussed that for a while and the guy showed me some permanent red/orange hair colours including their strongest copper and an almost blood like red. So he suggested a style that involves both of those that I think is gonna look pretty kick ass. Even though I've been saying "neon" alone, in my head the colour I'm thinking of is more dynamic than I think I would have gotten without this guy's advice. I guess it's gonna look like this...

67326pw400.jpg

... only with streaks and flashes of brighter and darker reds/oranges.

So I have an appointment with them for 5 p.m. tomorrow and even thought the orange was my second choice, I'm not at all disappointed because I still think it's gonna look deadly.

P.s. I was given a price estimate of €90-€100 which I'm quite happy with. I was prepared to pay about €130.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

your hair is fine the way it is, no need to get all mid life crisis on it and take in colours that shouldnt be seen this side of the 80s!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

thats gonna look pretty cool-id say the orange/red would look better than the green anyway so maybe its a good thing that ya failed the blonde test! :D ya have the perfect length hair to play around with-make sure you post the pics!

Azureus wrote:
    id say the orange/red would look better than the green anyway so maybe its a good thing that ya failed the blonde test!
    I think, in retrospect, you're probably right. I'm quite excited about this red colour and can't wait to see what it looks like. More so than with the previous green idea.

I mean, can you imagine this coming down the street at you...?

greentheory5qw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I agree, if an upside down guy with his tongue out came down the street to me, I'd be pretty freaked out, I don't think I'd even notice his hair;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

how'd ya get your hair like that in the first place?

Adobe Photoshop :D

Anyway, not to be a big camwhore but here are the pics. that turned out best...

Back

boardsback9cj.jpg

Front

boardsfront19nd.jpg

boardsfront29zk.jpg

Left

boardsleft18te.jpg

boardsleft27mn.jpg

Right

boardsright12jh.jpg

boardsright27gu.jpg

boardstop11wu.jpg

boardstop26me.jpg

So I didn't get the full head done, but that's just the way the idea evolved. Maybe I'll do that on another occasion, but for now I'm really happy with how things turned out. I think I definitely got the "feel" I was looking for. Oh, and I know that some elements of it look a bit emo but I assure you that in real life it's not. If anything it looks punk. I'll just take extra special care to stay away from emo related accessories. That should sort things out.

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I like it! From now on though you shall be known as 'flameboy'

"Flame on!"

Advertisement