Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus students !

Options
  • 31-05-2006 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anneju

Hi (again)

For those who've been discouraged by the length of my previous message, let me re-introduce myself :
    I'm a french student and next year I'm going to be an Erasmus student in UCD :) !
    I am really interested in the irish culture and i really want to meet irish people, but I've heard that Erasmus and local students do not really melt.. Is it true ? Do you often have the occasion to talk to Erasmus students ? Are they well integrated ?

Thank you for answering me ! :)

Anneju

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ola! Saw your other thread but I'm afraid I can't help as I know very little about those courses. Sorry!

As regards getting to know Irish people, the best way to do that is to make Irish friends. And the best way to do that is not to hang around with your french compatriots. I find that if people stick to hanging out with people of the same nationality it is very hard for Irish people to break into that group and get to know you. And vice versa.

So if you make an effort to make friends with Irish people, you'll def get more out of the Irish culture. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

There were some French erasmus students in one of my law classes this year but I never talked to any of them because they sort of stuck together. If you make an effort to talk to the Irish people they'll be really friendly to you. Best way to make Irish friends in UCD is to go on some of the nights out and join a society or two while you're there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anneju

Thank you for answering me !!

I really want to make efforts to integrate next year but i think it is not going to be that easy because irish students will already have known each other for a while :(
    And can any student join a society in ucd ?

Anneju wrote:
    And can any student join a society in ucd ?
    Yep. You can join as many or as few as you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Anneju wrote:
    Thank you for answering me !!

I really want to make efforts to integrate next year but i think it is not going to be that easy because irish students will already have known each other for a while :(

Well just keep hanging out on boards and then come to one our boards beers nights out when you get over here! :) *

*another fine reason for me to win Survivor..I'm such a thoughtful person. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

defo chat with your classmates!!! just because they have known each other for awhile doesnt mean they will exclude you. i like to think that my group of friends are a friendly group and would welcome newcomers! i had a grand chat with one of the american students in my international business law class and said hi to her throughout the year. i know i didnt get to know her but she had a good few friends from her other clasess as far as i cud make out from seeing her at lunch etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Unfortunately you can't be a member of the Students' Union though, according to the IAB.

Vainglory wrote:
    Unfortunately you can't be a member of the Students' Union though, according to the IAB.
    No loss there then. ;)

why is it no loss ?

Thank you all for your answers ! :) I can't wait for next year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

irlrobins wrote:
    No loss there then. ;)

At this stage, I'm inclined to agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

A number of Erasmus and JYA students joined the Archaeological Society last year and had a great time. One of them is even thinking of moving to Ireland because of the friends she made.

And the field trips in the Arch. Soc are a good (and inexpensive) way to see the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Boneless is right, the small societies are the best way to get to actually know people. Bigger societies will give you better goodies on Fresher's Week (that will be the second week of college, basically it's a week where all the societies and sports clubs try to get people to join up and get involved. There is a marquee erected behind the Student's Centre and all the societies have stands there. The sports clubs have stands in the Sports Centre.) but are not very involved with students on a one-to-one basis. If you're interested in anything, there should be a society that caters for it, plus there are the random societies that cater for everyone!

Make sure to go to the pub with the rest of the society members though. Even if you don't drink, being in the pub with them is the best way to bond with people!

thank you all for your advice ! I think I will definitely try to join a society next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Especially the French society for obvious reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 neutral

Shouldn't this read:

"according to the UCDSU Constitution"?
    Vainglory wrote:

Yes, why not, but I'm not going to Ireland to meet french people !! :)

Don't worry we'll still help you out in the Students Union if you need help with, education, welfare, accommodation and employment.Basically you just can't vote in the Student Union elections.

I think Irish students are friendlier to Erasmus people than in most countries. I've had Erasmus friends every year in college that I met in my classes or societies and although my friends were less open to foreign students than I was, we sometimes went out together as a group and that. I became friends with a French girl in my class but she didn't approach me, I had to approach her and be aware than most people won't be bothered doing that so you have to be a bit outgoing. I asked her if she'd like to practice English with me, and could I speak French with her as I study it, and then we became good friends and went round to each other's flats and stuff.

I'm currently doing Erasmus in Spain and I was amazed at how unfriendly the local students are compared to at home. I know Erasmus never have it easy in terms of fitting it but most of the people here are downright ignorant and wouldn't save you if you were drowning. I tried talking to people at the beginning and just got brushed off cos they were so cliquey so I kind of gave up and hung around with other Erasmus. I wish I'd made more of an effort now but I'm not sure it would have got me anywhere. I have met one or two nice people who talk to me so it's not all hopeless anywhere ;)

I think Irish people are generally pretty friendly and if you talk to them they'll talk back, sometimes just to be polite but people are approachable and if you keep talking you'll meet people soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

Hi everyone,

Funny that I log onto boards and see this topic today considering yesterday ESN UCD received official recognition for September!

ESN is a large organisation looking after the interests of the exchange student. More information on www.esn.org .

I have given anneju a personal response to the query.

If you UCD students or even students would like to make new friends, embrace different cultures, have fun with next years exchange students and become more internationally minded please let the team know by sending an email to esn.ucd@gmail.com and we will send you more information as to our plans for the year. All help is welcome!

Cheers

Well there you go Annejou, However I would suggest that ESN publicise their organisation which they can do through the International Students Office in UCD at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

Yes we fully intend to do that, however we were only "born" so to speak on Wednesday so we are still caught up in red tape.

Once I am finished my exams the committee will start serious work so that all exchange student, returning from exchange, or coming to UCD on exchange will know about us.

Cheers for the suggestion and if anybody has anymore, we would be grateful to hear about them.

Yes we fully intend to do that, however we were only "born" so to speak on Wednesday so we are still caught up in red tape.

Once I am finished my exams the committee will start serious work so that all exchange student, returning from exchange, or coming to UCD on exchange will know about us.

Cheers for the suggestion and if anybody has anymore, we would be grateful to hear about them.

That's grand then!

Advertisement