Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN and small Network

Options
  • 31-05-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi

Basically what the story is that i have 2 pc's ( desktop & Laptop) I need to be able to access the internet on both of these PC's i have an isdn connection but the laptop doesnt have an isdn modem so i was thinking of using an isdn modem to network them together and get benifit of filesharing and network printing in process! but i dont know of an isdn router's?

Can somebody give me someideas on how i should approach this, is getting a isdn router the only oprion or if there is a better alertnative available.

Also if an isdn router is required then can somebody reccomend one

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

tommycahir wrote:
    Hi

Basically what the story is that i have 2 pc's ( desktop & Laptop) I need to be able to access the internet on both of these PC's i have an isdn connection but the laptop doesnt have an isdn modem so i was thinking of using an isdn modem to network them together and get benifit of filesharing and network printing in process! but i dont know of an isdn router's?

Can somebody give me someideas on how i should approach this, is getting a isdn router the only oprion or if there is a better alertnative available.

Also if an isdn router is required then can somebody reccomend one

Thanks in advance

You can get a bog standard ISDN modem, connect it to the desktop, then network both units together using a bog standard network hub, sharing the ISDN connection under NT.

However, one word of warning. In an ISDN/Router situation, the ISDN connection can be brought up and down randomly by 'service request' packets without you asking for it. Each time get's billed as a phone call.

I know of several companies that had ISDN routers installed by cowboys who faced phone bills of tens of thousands after a month because the packet filters weren't set up correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

ok i dont like the sounds of the couple of thousand pound worth of bill's part, i have a a isdn modem in the desktop and a bog standard router but the trouble with it is that the laptop wont initialise the session on the shard internet connection on the desktop and few other glitches and was looking to get an all in one solution..

I sthere any particular setting that i should pay attention to when configuring the router to only create a connection when i request it.?

I have decent technial knowledge but my networking and routers etc is not the best area for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just make sure the ISDN modem is physically turned off when you're not using it.

Advertisement