Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

23,000 or less to spend on a new car but what car!?

Options
  • 31-05-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving a Golf Comfortline 1.4 and it is 00 but I am going to sell it on. I was thinking of buying a new Golf because they have excellent re-sell value and cheap insurance for myself. The car new will not be mine entirely but I will be sharing it with someone and therefore it needs to have cheap insurance like the Golf for me...since I am only 21 going on 22 in a month...

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla 1.4 Luna 5 door,
    Climate control, alloys, side skirts and rear corner splitters, front fogs, 4 elec windows etc.

€22990 inc metallic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

An Octavia? I wont do the clichés, but its a good car for a good price.

nice one maidhc, getting the obligutary Octavia mention in!

colm_mcm wrote:
    nice one maidhc, getting the obligutary Octavia mention in!
    :) Well if the OP is considering a Golf he may as well get the thinking man's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What do you think of the new Honda Civic. I like it myself. From looking at carzone the price for the 1.4 hatch and saloon are within budget. The 1.4 saloon must be a new addition to the range as last time I checked it was a 1.8 only.

Unfortunately the 1.4 Civic has a weak power output - 83 bhp IIRC. Still, not quite as bad as the 75 bhp unit in the 1.4 Golf. A MkV 1.4 Golf will feel even slower than yoru MkIV due to extra weight

You'd need to check insurance first though as insurers may load Civics (even a 1.4 engine car) due to their boy racer rep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

just take a test drive of a kia rio it cant hurt E16000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

why not buy a 2nd hand one? much better value ,i dont understand the obsession with new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Agreed , dont bother on a new car, get a main dealer one or 2 year old . way better value.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Buy a new Ford Focus or a secondhand BMW you can't go wrong with either one.

or a 2005 Hyundai coupe.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

colm_mcm wrote:
    You've got a point there Colm.:rolleyes:

if only we knew someone who had one of these rare beasts for sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    What do you think of the new Honda Civic. I like it myself. From looking at carzone the price for the 1.4 hatch and saloon are within budget. The 1.4 saloon must be a new addition to the range as last time I checked it was a 1.8 only.

Unfortunately the 1.4 Civic has a weak power output - 83 bhp IIRC. Still, not quite as bad as the 75 bhp unit in the 1.4 Golf. A MkV 1.4 Golf will feel even slower than yoru MkIV due to extra weight

You'd need to check insurance first though as insurers may load Civics (even a 1.4 engine car) due to their boy racer rep.

The 1.4 is new to me too. I don't like the looks, but then again, I must be quite conservative as I haven't liked the looks of recent (as in over the past 10 years :eek:) BMWs until years after they were introduced. So don't mind me on that one

At €23k, the Civic 1.4 is madly overpriced though. You can get a Focus 1.6 ZETEC for the same money. Probably get a better discount on the Focus too
    junkyard wrote:
    Buy a new Ford Focus or a secondhand BMW you can't go wrong with either one.

Agree on the Focus, disagree on the BMW. New-ish low end BMWs hold their value ridiculously well in Ireland. I'll put it another way - they are overpriced second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

just go and buy a peugeot 307 1.6 hdi

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

why not buy a 2nd hand one? much better value ,i dont understand the obsession with new cars.

So where do all the 2nd hand cars come from if no one buys new? Personally, you cant beat the smell and feel of a new car. Unfortunately im not in the position to buy a new car in the segment im buying in at the minute, but if i was i'd buy in a heartbeat. Forget depreciation and anything else, buy a car that you like and screw the sell on, if you like it, keep it till it stops or till its better buying a new car. I buy cars for me, not for the guy i might sell it too in a few years.

good point about buying a second hand, your just buying someone elses problems and they are not that much cheaper

people always claim that a new car drops 3000 when you drive it from the garage, but who the feic would be thinking about selling their new car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

if you have a mechanic with you or buy second hand from a dealer then you wont be buying other people problems,a car can be well valeted and appear almost new if required.financially buying new is a bad idea but people like you have it in their head that its so much better and important and that allows the more financially savvy amongst us to buy good cars second hand with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't forget there'll be a lot of nearly new 04/05 cars on the market soon too now that SSIA/keeping up with the neighbours madness is upon us

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Don't forget there'll be a lot of nearly new 04/05 cars on the market soon too now that SSIA/keeping up with the neighbours madness is upon us

And other people with SSIA money will be buying those! The SSIA won't buy much of a new car if you don't have a reasonable trade in.

if you have a mechanic with you or buy second hand from a dealer then you wont be buying other people problems,a car can be well valeted and appear almost new if required.financially buying new is a bad idea but people like you have it in their head that its so much better and important and that allows the more financially savvy amongst us to buy good cars second hand with no problems.

well 2 months ago i actually bought a 2004 car for €6000 less then the price it was new and it only had 7,000k on the clock, so it was the bargain of the century,

but having said that in 10months time my warrenty is gone my so fingers will be crossed that no exhaust, gearbox or engine problem appear until i trade it in for a newer car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I was thinking of going for the new civic ,it has all the electronics you need as standard ,ESP like the golf.

I test drove the 1.8 model in the hatch and got to 100KMH in a few seconds without burning the clutch.
    New civics are the lowest emissions in there class ,so I presume eat less petrol.

New civics are the lowest emissions in there class ,so I presume eat less petrol.

That would be a false assumption. I don't know about particular cars, but some of the Tier 4 engines are less efficient than their older counterparts.

maidhc wrote:
    That would be a false assumption. I don't know about particular cars, but some of the Tier 4 engines are less efficient than their older counterparts.

The new civic has a series of led lights right and left of the large speed display.

left is a series of green lights ,the more greens the more effecient.
    right is a series of orange lights ,the more orange the maximum the rev's in the gear and you shift up at the max.

the 1.4 has six gears on it ,so with the aid of the green lights and six gears you could realisticly drive on the minimum fuel with ease.

the 1.4 has six gears on it ,so with the aid of the green lights and six gears you could realisticly drive on the minimum fuel with ease.

Interesting. My mothers old 88 starlet had something like that, the word "Economy" lit up green when driving with a light foot and went orange when you put the boot down.

In general though the emissions appear to have little to do with fuel consumption (within reason obviously), possibly because stuff like exhaust gas recirculation and so forth absorbs energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

colm_mcm wrote:
    Just a pity it looks like a €5000 car on the inside. Horrible cabin

Go for a 05 MKV and get a slightly higher spec model. Go for the 1.6 if you can.

maidhc wrote:
    Interesting. My mothers old 88 starlet had something like that, the word "Economy" lit up green when driving with a light foot and went orange when you put the boot down.

In general though the emissions appear to have little to do with fuel consumption (within reason obviously), possibly because stuff like exhaust gas recirculation and so forth absorbs energy.

The new civic's lights for fuel consumption fluxiate with use ,like the guage in bmw's .
    The lights for the revs only come on after 7,000 rev's or so and at their maximum you change like something in a F1 car.

The light in the starlet is nothing compared to the what the civic has ,do yourself a favour and take one for a spin.

The only problem I found with the new civic is that the 1.8vtec seemed to have to much power at the front ,as at the top of the rev range the front wobbled slightly.

The light in the starlet is nothing compared to the what the civic has ,do yourself a favour and take one for a spin.

I believe you 100%, but the idea is similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only problem I found with the new civic is that the 1.8vtec seemed to have to much power at the front ,as at the top of the rev range the front wobbled slightly.

It's called torque steer. It applies to front wheel driven cars where the same wheels need to do the steering as well as the driving. Obviously this is not the optimal solution from a performance point of view

The 1.8 VTEC Civic has 140bhp and torque steer is probably noticeable but it should not be too bad. It is widely reported in general that torque steer becomes unmanagable over 200bhp, although some manufacturers have worked wonders, like Alfa Romeo with the 147 and 156 GTA series

Advertisement