Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Conditions: How do u study???

Options
  • 31-05-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I am unable to study alone at home. i find that i must be supervised or else in a quiet room with others studying....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I study early in the morning before my brain wakes up and thinks of fun things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i dont study :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

whassupp2 wrote:
    I am unable to study alone at home. i find that i must be supervised or else in a quiet room with others studying....

Learn some discipline/willpower and study in a room without distractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i study in a room by myself, with usually classical music in the backround pretty loud

- if people are around, i get distracted talking to them..
    - i don't like silence
    - if i have music with lyrics, i end up singing along and not concentrating

smemon, you're such a spanner soemtimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

smemon wrote:

what about all that "maximising your points" ****e then? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

smemon wrote:
    Thank God I'm not the only one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Rockerette wrote:
    - if i have music with lyrics, i end up singing along and not concentrating

you should listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor then. Perfect for studying to.

:| wrote:
    what about all that "maximising your points" ****e then? :D

i payed attention for 6 years in class, did most homework i had, thats my study.

the only study i'll do is the night before exams - cram. that's how u maximise your points. ever hear of 'just-in-time' stock control?

well the same applies to your brain. just learn the information right before you need it ;) that way it's freshest in your mind and therefore less chance of error or forgetting it.

it maximises efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Garret wrote:
    you should listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor then. Perfect for studying to.

GY!BE.....!

Listen to Garret he speaks wisdom beyond his years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

whassupp2 wrote:
    I am unable to study..

leaving it a bit late mate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

smemon wrote:
    i payed attention for 6 years in class, did most homework i had, thats my study.

the only study i'll do is the night before exams - cram. that's how u maximise your points. ever hear of 'just-in-time' stock control?

well the same applies to your brain. just learn the information right before you need it ;) that way it's freshest in your mind and therefore less chance of error or forgetting it.

it maximises efficiency.

This is the complete opposite of what all the "experts" say though? I'm not saying i disagree with you, thats a large part of my plan too, except some courses are too big to do in one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I study in my bedroom, desk facing the window so I get some view of what's existing outside my note-strewn cocoon. You wouldn't believe the amount of birds that feck about my back garden. I listen to music when doing maths or something monotonous, usually Explosions in the Sky or Sigúr Ros to get me uplifted without too much distraction. If I'm learning something I put the headphones down.

My room is such a joke. My filing system is my floor, each subject has it's own pile. Everything is within arms reach which results in maximum study-time - no messing about looking for something. I have a few important things/photos stuck up on the window too to keep me going. And in big bold letters, the date and time I'm finished the exams.

:| wrote:
    This is the complete opposite of what all the "experts" say though? I'm not saying i disagree with you, thats a large part of my plan too, except some courses are too big to do in one day?

no, that's the complete opposite of what all the textperts say.

you wanna study like a mad yolk for 2 or 3 weeks - be my guest. people are afraid to not study. they dont have the confidence to go in to an exam with nothing learned. they need security and peace of mind and so study like mad in the hope they'll remember as much as possible....

in fact, imo, studying as much as possible just clogs up your mind and it's information overload. i find it's better just to cram the night before and by cram i mean study the syllabus and the main things that will come up.

in every subject there are choices and you can leave out bits and pieces if carefully calculated. you dont have to study 24/7 and revise the whole course.

i could cover about 3 subjects in 1 night if i had to and do pretty well. don't get me wrong, i'm no 600 pointer, im capable of about 500 and aiming for 485.

if you want the points, like studying and have nothing better to do.....study all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Out in the sun with head bobbingly good Hip-Hop blaring out of my head.

Thats when I study of course. ;)

I used to go to the library but its full all the time these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Funkstard wrote:
    Explosions in the Sky

:D Weird...me too.

OP, I'm the opposite. I need to be on my own in order to get anything done. When I'm in a study hall I end up talking to friends and in the library I get distracted by the strange people in there.

I study in my room usually from 8am to about 4pm taking a considerable amount of breaks and then I might get a few hours done after 7pm. That's on a good day though. I spent the day in town shopping in the sun :( Feel bad now, might get a few hours done in a while if I'm able. The weather's really wearing me out.

ThrownAway wrote:
    :D Weird...me too.

OP, I'm the opposite. I need to be on my own in order to get anything done. When I'm in a study hall I end up talking to friends and in the library I get distracted by the strange people in there.

I study in my room usually from 8am to about 4pm taking a considerable amount of breaks and then I might get a few hours done after 7pm. That's on a good day though. I spent the day in town shopping in the sun :( Feel bad now, might get a few hours done in a while if I'm able. The weather's really wearing me out.

Brilliant. First Breath After Coma. Brilliant. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I was studyin in skool up till Friday....but that didnt realyl work because i just ended up messing oops!at home I cant get nada done so my friend and I study in his house (its empty no rents or what not) Im in one room hes in the other and we just motivate each other through it! It worked..but then we took a few breaks....but it got me working! I wish the weather was rotten it was magnificent today!

d4gurl wrote:
    I was studyin in skool up till Friday....but that didnt realyl work because i just ended up messing oops!at home I cant get nada done so my friend and I study in his house (its empty no rents or what not) Im in one room hes in the other and we just motivate each other through it! It worked..but then we took a few breaks....but it got me working! I wish the weather was rotten it was magnificent today!

I bet thats not all you're doing.....WI-WOOOOO!!!

.....I'm sorry. Someone was bound to say it. I think the lack of fresh air has made me slightly insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

smemon wrote:
    no, that's the complete opposite of what all the textperts say.

you wanna study like a mad yolk for 2 or 3 weeks - be my guest. people are afraid to not study. they dont have the confidence to go in to an exam with nothing learned. they need security and peace of mind and so study like mad in the hope they'll remember as much as possible....

in fact, imo, studying as much as possible just clogs up your mind and it's information overload. i find it's better just to cram the night before and by cram i mean study the syllabus and the main things that will come up.

in every subject there are choices and you can leave out bits and pieces if carefully calculated. you dont have to study 24/7 and revise the whole course.

i could cover about 3 subjects in 1 night if i had to and do pretty well. don't get me wrong, i'm no 600 pointer, im capable of about 500 and aiming for 485.

if you want the points, like studying and have nothing better to do.....study all you want.

Unless you have a brilliant photographic memory you are going to fail... badly.

Roy Keane: "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

smemon wrote:

it maximises efficiency.

Although I hate to admit it I agree with this guy! My experience is this year is no matter how hard you work all year you will still forget all the **** if you dont cram. Planning Orgainising and Controlling are the activities you need to master. Im completely familiar with where all the topics, such as everything that is examined are in my textbooks. I know ive read everything at least twice but now im doing one last MAJOR cram for the lc. Im doing "all nighters", with boost and red bull fueling me to completely finish the courses. I never didnt anything as extreme before but the end justifies the means!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Right_Side wrote:
    Unless you have a brilliant photographic memory you are going to fail... badly.

Roy Keane: "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!"

nah smemon wont fail, i know he wont.. much as i'd love him to... he wont ;)

i share that approach to SOME EXTENT, and im capable/aiming for pretty much the same as him

i dont get these people who study like mad things these last few weeks.. i've worked well over the last 6 years, especially the last 2, and that makes exams a LOT less stressful..

yesterday, i did about 2 hrs work
    day before, i was in school for a few hours, did nothing else

am i worried? nervous? stressed???
    no..

basically my point... smemon wont fail.

I've been doing about 8 hours a day for the last 2 weeks, and I don't feel tired or overworked at all. In fact my French teacher yesterday made a point of telling me how well I looked. I'm less tired now than I ever was in school. Once you get into a routine, early nights, you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Iv'e been working relativly hard in school since september, also been doing 2 hours after school 4 days a week. Since school finished up, Iv'e done about 2 hours at home in total :o But I reckon since Iv'e put the work in throughout the year, I'll be ok.

Roy Keane was the best in the world, a 600 pointer if you will, he prepared himself for every question and always came out with A1's in exams.

im no Roy Keane. i'm a Denis Irwin - not the best in the world, not a 600 pointer, but a solid reliable 400-500 pointer who will never let you down - ever.

i won't fail, i never fail. passed everything in the pre's and got 400 points so it's almost impossible for me to fail.

i won't get 600 points, probably not 500 either. 485 is my target, ive been focused on that since september and still believe i will achieve it.

Roy Keane is my idol, he is perfection personified. to be mentioned in the same sentence as him is a great honour for me ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

smemon wrote:
    Roy Keane was the best in the world, a 600 pointer if you will, he prepared himself for every question and always came out with A1's in exams.

im no Roy Keane. i'm a Denis Irwin - not the best in the world, not a 600 pointer, but a solid reliable 400-500 pointer who will never let you down - ever.

i won't fail, i never fail. passed everything in the pre's and got 400 points so it's almost impossible for me to fail.

i won't get 600 points, probably not 500 either. 485 is my target, ive been focused on that since september and still believe i will achieve it.

Roy Keane is my idol, he is perfection personified. to be mentioned in the same sentence as him is a great honour for me ;):D

Agree with that. you've pretty similar targets to me too. a rise of 80ish points from the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

whassupp2 wrote:
    Agree with that. you've pretty similar targets to me too. a rise of 80ish points from the mocks

I need a rise of at least 100 points! 100 more will be dead-on, more than 100 more and I should be safe. But it shouldn't be too hard. All I have to do is pass maths and physics and up my dreadful 55% in english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I need C3 in maths (failed mocks), 2 A's (construction and tech D, hopefully) and that'll allow me to do badly in french (which i hate) and physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Funkstard wrote:
    I bet thats not all you're doing.....WI-WOOOOO!!!

.....I'm sorry. Someone was bound to say it. I think the lack of fresh air has made me slightly insane.

you dirtty likle feker!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

old topic.. but with music on. Preferably muse or the strokes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^I'd recommend you stop that. It's generally accepted that it's not a good idea.

Advertisement