Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to clare

Options
  • 31-05-2006 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi
    moving 2 clare about 20th June and have had a telephone interview for a job in shannon, waiting 2 hear from them. Can any one help with names or websites of job agencies within the area i cant find many. surely there must be plenty in limerick. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

check out fas website for a start,irishjobs.ie
    monster.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maurswee

thanks
    had a few telephone interviews but think i will have to wait till i get over there

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check out Peach recruitment in Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well if your in shannon you shouldnt have any problems
    with ennis, shannon and most importantly limerick close by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brian M

I'm also considering a move to Clare. First we were thinking Dublin, then Cork for our move and now we're considering the smaller cities. Kilkenny, Waterford and now Shannon and Ennis in Clare. Wondering whether anyone can give me a quick idea of what the job market/renting markets are like at the moment. We want to travel alot on the continent, so Shannon makes sense there. Do people commute between Ennis and Shannon? I'me already paying attention to Daft and the various recruitment sites, just figure the view from the ground is always more helpful. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

A lot of recruiting agencies in Galway cover most of the west, north and south. I was with ICE at one stage, I'm not sure of the web address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Brian M wrote:
    I'm also considering a move to Clare. First we were thinking Dublin, then Cork for our move and now we're considering the smaller cities. Kilkenny, Waterford and now Shannon and Ennis in Clare. Wondering whether anyone can give me a quick idea of what the job market/renting markets are like at the moment. We want to travel alot on the continent, so Shannon makes sense there. Do people commute between Ennis and Shannon? I'me already paying attention to Daft and the various recruitment sites, just figure the view from the ground is always more helpful. Thanks!

Defo do, Shannon holds something like 3 times more workers than the population of the town.. not sure about the facts.
    Shannon towns has a residental population of 10,000
    Ennis roughly about 25,000 everything a small city has practically.
    Other towns that might interest you are Sixmilebridge and New market on fergus which are medium sized towns sandwiched between Shannon and Ennis.. worth a look.

Well a bit a general stuff you might like to know about the Shannon region. (shannon town)

Shannon town has a new T.C shopping mall which is on it's second phase at the mo. The plan was to get rid of the old American style town centre. Coming on great now.

Also new road networks really are coming along now, especially since the N18/N19 access. Ennis by pass should be finished fairly soon. You will have a constant dual carrigeway from Limerick to South of Gort. Also worth a mention the Old Ennis to Limerick line is reopened and there are plans to loop and connect shannon town with it. Though this will not be coming anytime soon. A lot of development going on around Shannon/Limerick, but Clare has an advantage that it's still quite rural. Ennis and Shannon are the only to major towns in the whole county. the rest is rugged with clustered villages etc.. Along the west and shannon coast are lot's of small cut away villages, away from the busy shannon and Ennis zones.

On the job front here is recent news from the Limerickpost... Quite a few business parks popping up along the new N19. Ennis has a few business park built on the north side of the town (think it's called information park??) Just some help on some places that are taking in big employers. The Shannon town area is always attracting big multinational companies and will grow further with new routes coming in. Unemployment is lower than the national average. The region plays a major part in the Irish economy too.

http://www2.limerickpost.ie/fullnews.elive?id=37&category=news

I couldn't find much on New routes to Shannon as in the present, but I do know there are at least 10 routes started or planned this year to far reach places in Spain and the Medditerainean and Eastern Europe etc. All great news for the region...

As for tourism.. a jewel in my opinion... the hills along cratloe are defeniatly nice.. Plenty of golf courses to choose from. Bunratty is only a stone throw yet a major attraction nationally. Limerick is another option for shopping that rivals the Eastern seaboard.. I'm boasting I know.

of course the shannon estuary is spectacular, even by the Airport itself.

Ballybunion, Kilkee, Kilrush, Spanish point, Lahinch, cliffs of moher are all one of the most spectacular beaches and costlines in Ireland..

Can't say anthing negative about Clare really. I'm sure there is more stuff to do, but I don't live in Clare unfortunatley:p A big mansion by Cratloe overlooking the Shannon and the clare hills would be nice, then whenever I want to go to Europe I can just pop down the road and hop on a plane....:D

I mean Clare maybe on the west coast but It's damn well parked. Airport a few mins away at least 20 mins to Limerick (big city) hour to Galway two hours to Cork... Ferry to Kerry and your there. lol Ennis train runs (I think direct to Dublin via Limerick cuple times a day and proven very popular)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Mysterious

What a great post! As a Clarewoman living abroad (only moved last year), it has made me a little homesick! :)

Sanncoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brian M

Thanks for the post mysterious! You forgot the music though :D

Right now we're pretty much settled on starting off the job search in Waterford, mostly due to the proximity to Dublin (the airport more importantly) and we plan on doing a heckofalot of travelling. But if things don't work out there, it's westward we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Waterford ??? Nothing against the place but its not really THAT close to Dublin airport....

I live in Ballina/Killaloe (Co.Tipperary side), its 15 miles from Limerick, 40 minutes to shannon, a little further to Ennis (not a whole pile), I used to commute to shannon every day, an easy drive.... The boudaries of Cork are less than an hour away (a good bit of IT work around this area) and best of all, Shanno Airport is less than 45 mintutes away and beats Dublin for ease and convenience hands down...

http://www.lookaroundireland.com/counties/clare/killaloe.htm

FBP.

• Advertisement

fatboypee wrote:
    Waterford ??? Nothing against the place but its not really THAT close to Dublin airport....

I live in Ballina/Killaloe (Co.Tipperary side), its 15 miles from Limerick, 40 minutes to shannon, a little further to Ennis (not a whole pile), I used to commute to shannon every day, an easy drive.... The boudaries of Cork are less than an hour away (a good bit of IT work around this area) and best of all, Shanno Airport is less than 45 mintutes away and beats Dublin for ease and convenience hands down...

http://www.lookaroundireland.com/counties/clare/killaloe.htm

FBP.

Killaloe/Ballina seems to be one of the spots where everything is in reach.
    Limerick just a stone throw, then you still have the sleepyness with Lough derg by.

Also. Just that you mention Killaloe. I was puzzeled by the sharp decrease it's what's know as the boomtowns in this census. It actually decreased somewhat by 2% compared to 21% in the last census?On the other hand Ballina remains one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland, or well munster. It's now the fourth largest town in N. Tipperary I think. Don't mean ta bore ye out of it:D

Clare still grew by 12% I think in this census, So people must like Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

mysterious wrote:
    ....Just that you mention Killaloe. I was puzzeled by the sharp decrease it's what's know as the boomtowns in this census. It actually decreased somewhat by 2% compared to 21% in the last census?On the other hand Ballina remains one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland, or well munster. It's now the fourth largest town in N. Tipperary I think. Don't mean ta bore ye out of it:D
    Clare still grew by 12% I think in this census, So people must like Clare.

From an 'on the ground' perspective, the housing development in Ballina until recent times has far far outstripped Killaloe. Killaloe in turn is quite badly run down and not at all as well looked after as the Ballina side (seems less pride in the place in general), this is reflected in the tidy towns competition, this year Ballina is awash with flowers, nicely painted & generally spic & span... Killaloe on the other hand, not a fookin' daisy to be seen ....... unless its wild !!!

FBP.

So what are the positives to live in Clare? even in pre boom years, Clare was a popular place to move, probably due to proximty to everthing.

Is there anyhope of Shannon reaching 30,000? If it did it would make Shannon region on of the most densiest places in Ireland, but oh of course outside of the Pale:)

Advertisement