Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet wireless problem..

Options
  • 31-05-2006 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Does any other Permanet users have any problem with their connection recently?
    The last few weeks now my connection has being dropping every few days, and every day now this week. Just wondering is anyone else experiencing this, most especially in Tralee?
    Although i am totally sure what the problem is, as sometimes it comes back on if i quit the firewall, although this didn't work today. I tried reseting it, turning it on, quit the firewall e.t.c., but the connection only came on when i swapped usb ports.. (i'm guessing that was only coincidence maybe.. i dunno)
    Anyone have any ideas what might be going on..?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

usb ANYTHING , dsl or cable, is notoriously unstable

can you go to ethernet instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well, as far as i know, there have been random disconnects going on over the last 2-3 months, although they tend to last only about 5 minutes or so, evidently they have had a dodgy cisco router on their core network in Dublin, this was changed out a couple of days ago... i will need to monitor my connection to see if things have improved or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dolanp

I have been testing two wireless systems in Tralee for the past 3 weeks for the purpose of supplying a couple of small communities with some sort of broadband.
    The two systems were from Permanet and Kerry Broadband.
    The Permanet system works on the 3.5Ghz spectrum and the Kerry Broadband system is on 5Ghz.Both systems seem good and professional however the installers left Permanet down badly with a crappy install. Both packages were the 1mbps pack. While downloading some 50mb files from www.dls.net the speeds varied greatly with the Kerry BB system given 900-1000Kbps and permanet given anything from 400-900kbps.Over the 3 week period the permanet connection droped 10-15 times with no explanation and the KerryBB 2 times but this was noted on their website as routine maintenance and both times were early morning Saturday. The ping times to google.com were 30-50ms with Kerry BB and 80-150ms with Permanet.
    I am still testing and will be for the next 2 weeks but my mind is nearly made up on a suitable supplier.

dolanp wrote:
    I have been testing two wireless systems in Tralee for the past 3 weeks for the purpose of supplying a couple of small communities with some sort of broadband.
    The two systems were from Permanet and Kerry Broadband.
    The Permanet system works on the 3.5Ghz spectrum and the Kerry Broadband system is on 5Ghz.Both systems seem good and professional however the installers left Permanet down badly with a crappy install. Both packages were the 1mbps pack. While downloading some 50mb files from www.dls.net the speeds varied greatly with the Kerry BB system given 900-1000Kbps and permanet given anything from 400-900kbps.Over the 3 week period the permanet connection droped 10-15 times with no explanation and the KerryBB 2 times but this was noted on their website as routine maintenance and both times were early morning Saturday. The ping times to google.com were 30-50ms with Kerry BB and 80-150ms with Permanet.
    I am still testing and will be for the next 2 weeks but my mind is nearly made up on a suitable supplier.

Now, you wouldn't by any chance be Paul Dolan from Kerry Broadband ????

So tell us what areas do you cover ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Now, you wouldn't by any chance be .....?
    Handbags Out , Round One , DINGGGGGGGGGGG :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dolanp

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Now, you wouldn't by any chance be Paul Dolan from Kerry Broadband ????

So tell us what areas do you cover ?

Yes i am.

The areas are listed on kerrybroadband.ie with more to be added end os sept.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

dolanp wrote:
    The areas are listed on kerrybroadband.ie with more to be added end os sept.

September 2006 or 2007? I don't see any additions yet.

I haven't seen any update either ..... Also i get a bit annoyed when somebody comes on pertaining to giving a fair representation of how they feel each service performs, then holds his hands up to say that he is in fact one of the operators...

I would love to give KBB a go, but its not clear to me whether they cover my area .... Paul ..do you cover all of Cromane ? or just parts of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Permanet now have updated coverage maps and what looks like a new active transmitter near Millstreet.
    http://www.permanet.ie/map1.asp

Advertisement