Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting/DNS Question

Options
  • 31-05-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Quick question: I want to host a site/domain name with one hosting company, and a second site (a sub-domain of the main site) with another hosting company.

Can this be achieved without problems? Not an expert on DNS at the mo'...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm not an expert either, but the choice I was faced with when I did this a few months ago was:
    A) Have second-domain.com simply redirect to subdomain.firstdomain.com ... where the user will see subdomain.firstdomain.com in the address bar while browsing the site.
    B) Have second-domain.com host a tiny index.html which loads subdomain.firstdomain.com inside a frame... the user sees second-domain.com in the address bar while browsing the site.

There are some problems with option B though... you can't link to resources like www.second-domain.com/files/test.jpg because the path won't exist... and it'll pretty much become obvious eventually that the site is just running in a frame while hosted by another domain.

I've been dying to know if there's an option C is this situation... but from what I've been reading, I gather you'd want another dedicated IP for a proper DNS setup... at least across hosting providers.
    I would have thought there'd be some DNS trickery that'd allow the obvious ideal option C, but I'm not aware of any. :(
    Though there are hosting providers that'll let you host two (or more) sites off the same hosting account/space, I'm not sure what way they set it up, but I assume they have more sway when it's their own machines and their own DNS servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

yeah it's very straight forwad to do but most hosting co's signup forms won't cater for it. Email them and if they are in any way clued in, they should be able to set it up.

They should give you an IP address that you will need to create a DNS A record for the subdomain with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What misterq said.

Simply create a DNS A record on the host that is hosting domain.com that resolves sub.domain.com to the IP of the host hosting the subdomain site.

The other host simply configures Apache/IIS to resolve sub.domain.com to your site.

Simple really :)

Ahhh brilliant Ted!
    *cough* though why reg365 set me up with option B without telling me this has me scratching my head *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Cloaked redirect would be a standard option - just ask for the A record option and it'll get done right away ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Thanks guys, great help.

What misterq said.

Simply create a DNS A record on the host that is hosting domain.com that resolves sub.domain.com to the IP of the host hosting the subdomain site.

The other host simply configures Apache/IIS to resolve sub.domain.com to your site.

Simple really :)
    Hmmm, I couldn't find any DNS options in this other hosts control panel, but after doing some DNS lookups, it appears the subdomain already has a distinct IP address... different to the www site.
    Though it won't allow access to either site by IP address... so I'm not sure if they're blocking attempts to do what you suggest. :confused:

Advertisement