Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for new car radio, CHEAP!

Options
  • 31-05-2006 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hey guys i'm going to hav to get a new radio for my car (01 civic saloon) and i'm looking for pointers!

Dont really care what it looks like, i'm more interested in the functionality! sound doesnt have to be kicking! I dont intend on getting new speakers or anything so sound quality isnt the main priority!

I heard its now possible to buy a car radio that has built in bluetooth and comes with a mic to let you use the car radio as a car kit... do any of ye know anything bout it? or if its possible?!

I wud like radio to be able to play cds (obviously!) and having a usb connection for MP3 capability would be a big plus! Ideally it would hav a clock built in, but again there are other more important features!

Let me knwo yer thoughts, or of offers ye hav heard about!

thnaks,

yak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I bought this for my parents' car, it's very good for the money. Doesn't have USB but has an aux-in socket at the front, which is cool. Nice design and user interface too:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CQC1313

cqc1313n.jpg

As for other stuff, have a look/chat with www.incarexpress.co.uk, they're a great company.

Also, these dudes: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Arden-Car-Audio sell new stuff plus factory-refurb stuff - I bought STG£180 of head-unit for about STG£108 - the unit was in totally perfect condition yet was a "factory refurb" which I guess means someone else bought it and returned it to wherever they bought it from, where it was sent back to the maker and sent out again. Wasn't even marked, had all the stickers, plastic protector for the screen, loom, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

franksm wrote:
    I bought this for my parents' car, it's very good for the money. Doesn't have USB but has an aux-in socket at the front, which is cool. Nice design and user interface too:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CQC1313

cqc1313n.jpg

that looks like a nice one,seems to offer everything ive been looking for. One question, you know where it says ID3 tags, does that mean it will display the track name/info from an ipod on the display? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

No - the ID tags are just for the CD/MP3.

I think the AUX input is just for the headphone/output connection from your IPOD. I could be wrong, but this is probably just a "sound" connection and won't be for sending any digital info across - like ID tags etc.

Are there headunits that are "fully" IPOD compliant ? That display what the IPOD itself displays ? Have a work with the incarexpress people - would be a good starting point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I know for a fact that Pioneer do some fully ipod compatible ones, as a friend has one in his car. Sorry I don't have the model number but you will be paying a lot of money for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

franksm wrote:
    No - the ID tags are just for the CD/MP3.

I think the AUX input is just for the headphone/output connection from your IPOD. I could be wrong, but this is probably just a "sound" connection and won't be for sending any digital info across - like ID tags etc.

Correct franksm.

OP - An alternative for IPODs etc is an attachment for your MP3 player that broadcasts the music over a very weak radio signal so that you can tune your radio to a frequency and hear it as if it was a radio station - no wires! Again - nothing but sound transmitted - ie no song names etc.

Haven't used one so can't say how good. There is an official Apple version (Itrip?) but there are bound to be cheaper copies. Although the signal is only strong enough to work inside your car, I think they may be technically illegal in Ireland unless you're licensed to transmit radio signals!

Luckily, I've bypassed all this by still driving a car with a tape player (the shame :o ) so I just use one of those tapes that plugs into my mp3 player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah those transmitters are illegal here. Not sure about the UK, but I know someone who brought one from the US recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

i know jdm in dun-laoir 012842000 have a good selection at all prices.
    i dont work there so this is not an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

I just bought a new head unit in DA Autosore in Stillorgan. Radio, CD Player and a USB slot to plug in your Ipod. It also has a SD if you prefer to keep your music on memory cards. And all for the princely sum of 220 euros.

If you sign up to Manic-Motorz you can also score yourself a discount on it as DA are one of the site sponsors and they offer discounts to members;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I got one of these in argos two weeks ago for €150. It's got a line in on the front to connect devices to, it supports MP3 and WMA CD's and you can get an IPod control unit that hooks up to the CD changer port at the back that lets you plug in your IPod and have full control from the head unit.

Advertisement