Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics

Options
  • 31-05-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hey I know loadsa people like the idea of "predictions", I know I do, its kinda nice to have some idea of what to learn especially at this stage so here's a list of "predictions" from an Institute teacher, apparantly he got most of them right last year. Although I showed them to my teacher and he said, "Well you've got most things covered there anyway."

So here ya go anyway:

Alexander:
    -alexanders coastal policy
    -egypt
    -the battle of the hydaspes river (my teacher agrees with this one)
    -the 2 mutinies
    -Darius the king
    -a general Q on the character of Alexander

Medea:
    -The importance of children in the play
    -The murder scene
    -the 3 jason scenes

Oedipus:
    -the teiresias scene
    -creons character
    -a comparasion of creon and oedipus

Prometheus Bound:
    -The portrayal of Zeus
    -The Io scene
    -prometheus, the tragic hero

Odyssey:
    -the maturation of telemachus
    -the polyphemos incident
    -calypso and circe
    -penelope and the suitors
    -the role of pallas athene

Aeneid:
    -the nissus and euryalas scene (this has never come up)
    -turnus
    -dido and aeneas
    -the role of juno
    -juno and poseidon
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The only problem with Classics to me is the time-8 essays in 3 hours is tricky.Everything but Plato is quite easy.Considering the difficulty people have with Geography,History etc I really don't get why people don't do this subject more often.Its such a small course compared to some other subjects.

Plus a whole week free before the exam:D .I can see a good B here at least.

Your predictions look on point btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Orizio wrote:
    The only problem with Classics to me is the time-8 essays in 3 hours is tricky.

I disagree. Granted I'll be doing the Roman Art and Architecture questions but I think 8 questions/essays is very managable. Much more so than business for example.

I don't know why more people do it either, it is the highlight of my academic week.

I barely got it down during the pres.However,since I am a terrible writer,what I put down was barely legible even for a teacher who has been teaching me for two years.

Its different for everyone of course,but I had serious problems with English and History as well during the pres.

BTW Business to me is one of the easier subjects time wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

grimloch wrote:
    I don't know why more people do it either, it is the highlight of my academic week.

I don't even think my school has the subject. It seems intresting though.

Business is really easy considering we've 3 hours. Pass Irish paper 1 is a joke too.

My old school didn't have it either,nor did it have Ag.Science or Home ec.I had to go to the city to study it,and even then I had to cover the course in one year because they refused to take 5th years into the leaving cert class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Orizio wrote:
    BTW Business to me is one of the easier subjects time wise.
    ThrownAway wrote:
    Business is really easy considering we've 3 hours.

Whilst running the risk of dragging this thread wildly off topic, I'd consider Business to be a bigger press for time than English paper 2 for example.

Now Biology and French are two fine examples where we are given miles too much time. For my mock French; I did a comprehension, sat around for ten minutes and then proceeded to do another comprehension. I then sat around for a further 25 minutes before milling into the reaction questions and I then left early.

The next day, during Business, I nearly had a hole burnt in both the paper and desk I was scribbling so furiously.

Advertisement