Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax and NCT - quickie

Options
  • 31-05-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one. The gf has received the ownership form for her new car (2nd hand) yesterday. The car has no NCT or tax at present.

The question is does it need to be NCTed to get tax? or taxed to get an NCT?

On the form RF100A it asks for Certficate of Roadworthiness (NCT)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can tax away without a NCT. Just leave that blank. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    You can tax away without a NCT

Yep, ever since the NCT strike a few years ago. My NCT appointment was cancelled because of it and I thought I was unable to renew my tax. Until a hawk-eyed Garda in a 4WD who obviously spotted my empty tax-disc holder pulled me over on the M50 and asked me "what's the story with your tax". He informed me the rules had changed because of the strike and I could get it taxed and so I did

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

did you walk or drive home?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So much for "there are no stupid questions" :rolleyes:

Stark wrote:
    So much for "there are no stupid questions" :rolleyes:
    It was originally meant to be humourous but anyhow, given that (from what I read) his tax was a few years out of date, Im surprised that the garda didn't impound the car as if the tax is over 3 months out then they are legally entitled (instructed?) to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Woops, I misinterpreted you. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Certificate of Roadworthness thing on the RF100A is for commerical vehikles. An NCT is not by ny means a Certificate of Roadworthness.

Stark wrote:
    Woops, I misinterpreted you. Apologies.
    No bother - I only found out this law the hard way with a newbie from Templemore!

Advertisement