Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extending a phone line for ADSL

• 31-05-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have talked to my ISP about this (smart telecom) and they do not suggest it as a good idea. but I want to run a simple telephone extension (50-60 m) from my hard point in the hall to my room. I did do this before, but I think that one of the staples penetrated the cable and damaged one of the wires. I have a telehone extension kit from Atlantic home care that probably suits my needs, as long as it's not broken, it has 2 2 pair wires in a flat configuration (not sure if thats the right term, i mean they are side to side, not twisted). The kit also has the normal RJ-11 plug on one end and the other end has an RJ-11 socket with 4 connectors which need to be made down. I need to this this or splash out around 100 quid or so for some form of wireless option (not something I'm keen on anyway, I don't like service drops). I am seeing normal service when I connect in the hall, but the service is 1/2 to non existent in my room. The wire also runs behind an eletric heater (not on at any time) but I am worried that some magnetic interference is causing noise on the line. Can anyone shed light onto this. Will it work or will it not with a new line? Do I need to buy "special" wire to do this properly? What else should I look out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

got a new wire today and tried it, no joy. Would getting a Cat 5 cable solve this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im surprised that the extension wouldnt work although 50-60m away is a lot.

I used a run of 10-20 sucessfully.

Maybe the best bet is a modem/router at the hard point and then cat5 or cat5e to your room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Get a wireless router with ADSL modem built in.

Solves all your hassles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

first connect a normal phone to the extension to see is there a dialtone.
    also make sure the extension is not plugged into the filter downstairs but direct to the mainline. then put a filter on and try the bb

Advertisement