Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped... oh come on!

Options
  • 31-05-2006 11:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got clamped and I'm pissed. I live on a quiet road in south dublin, the road has lots of terraced houses - none of them have parking spaces, so everyone parks on the road outside. I've been parking there, along with dozens of other cars, every day for the last year, and today they clamp me! Only me, none of the many other cars were clamped. I mean what the hell! Its a kind of road where there are almost always free spaces but there are many cars there all the time. I can't say I've ever seen anyone pay for parking, although there is a meter there. There is not much I can do so I paid it, but they say more the car within an hour but oh my god if I got clamped again I'll flip!

Yes I know, I know, you have to pay for parking, etc etc, but seriosuly, do they honestly expect everyone to shell out many euro's a day, every day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can you not get a residents permit from the relevant local authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Zascar wrote:
    Yes I know, I know, you have to pay for parking, etc etc, but seriosuly, do they honestly expect everyone to shell out many euro's a day, every day!

Of course they do!

But as Crosstownk says, you should be able to get a permit if you live there. Possible exeption, if the house is rented, there may be only one permit per address and someone got it before you.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is: Unless you have something official to say you're exempt, if there's a charge for parking, you must pay!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Was the road marked no parking? :confused:

It's a pain in the ass when you get done and everybody else doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

If you are a resident, then you may be able to get your money back. If you send a letter to the clampers proving that you live on the street (if your insurance is registered there), then you should be able to get a refund.

You should also be entitled to a residents parking permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

smarty wrote:
    If you are a resident, then you may be able to get your money back. If you send a letter to the clampers proving that you live on the street (if your insurance is registered there), then you should be able to get a refund.

You should also be entitled to a residents parking permit.

Why should you be entitled to your money back? Yes you are entitled to a permit which costs 130 euro and if he had this he wouldn't have been clamped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Downtime wrote:
    Why should you be entitled to your money back? Yes you are entitled to a permit which costs 130 euro and if he had this he wouldn't have been clamped.

I said he "may" be entitled to a refund. Not that he "should" be entitled to a refund.

I know of another person who was clamped. He was a resident and didn't have a residents permit. After he was clamped, he paid the fine and then applied for a permit. When he received the permit, he sent a complaint to the clamping people and received a refund. It did take about six weeks to get the money back though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Downtime wrote:
    I've a parking permit for outside my gaff - that was only €25 from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council.

I think blocks of apartments are unable to get permits for each apartment, but a house with different tenents is different. You might just need your own insurance policy, plus a utility bill as evidence of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

milltown wrote:
    But as Crosstownk says, you should be able to get a permit if you live there. Possible exeption, if the house is rented, there may be only one permit per address and someone got it before you.

Dublin City - Resident's permits
    Houses - maximum 4, 1 per person
    Buildings converted into flats,etc - 1 per household
    Apartment buildings - generally no, unless in a low demand area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You might just need your own insurance policy, plus a utility bill as evidence of residence.
    AFAIK the local authority will require the VLC showing the registered address of the vehicle - This is the case with Dublin City Council but maybe other authorities are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You could change the address on the VLC for long enough to get the permit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

but in the case of the OP that would be after the offence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yep, my apartment block has 9 apartments so I guess I'm stuck with it. cheers for the replies anyway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OH MY F**KING GOD! I jst got clamped AGAIN! I'm livid. They are just picking on me now. What can I do, I have no where else to park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Zascar wrote:
    OH MY F**KING GOD! I jst got clamped AGAIN! I'm livid. They are just picking on me now. What can I do, I have no where else to park!

Ring up the people in the civic offices and talk to them nicely. Explain your situation and ask them how they can help you sort the situation out. They are quiet helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Zascar wrote:
    Try putting some money in the meter you mentioned earlier!

They're not picking on you. You're violating parking regulations by not paying for your parking.

Apply for your permit and in the meantime, feed the meter! It's bound to be cheaper than clamping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apply for your permit and in the meantime, feed the meter!
    I think the OP doesn't qualify for a permit.

Maybe a nice call to the County Co might work. Or drop by with the form filled out and a cheque.

Thanks guys, Anyone who exactly who is best to call? Number?

Does anyone know how long you can leave your car there with the clamp on it befroe it gets towed?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Zascar, don't mind all that sensible advise. Take a hammer, chisel and freeze spray to that lock and FIGHT THE POWER !!!!!! You just know you want to, don't fight the urge its GOOOOOD :)

On my way to work today I say no less than four cars clamped, belonging to a posh car dealership ... right outside the dealerships front door. I really felt sorry for the bloke to be honest, normally I wouldn't care less.

I can't help but think/know that the lads who clamp these cars are on minimum wage and get a real power trip out of it. I'd love nothing more than them to come back to an empty clamp someday with a note on it that says "STOP - **** you ! "

I was advised the same on aother forum. A guy saud he got an angle grinder and took it off. Got a call a few weeks alter from them asking for their clamp back. He sent it via interlink for free!

I thought you'd get arrested for that sort of behaviour, or a fat fine at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Buy 2 clamps yourself for one side and park the car with the wheels right against the footpath on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Then they will just lift you and take it to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bond-007 wrote:
    Then they will just lift you and take it to the pound.

I don't think they can get the brackets on the wheels if two sides were pre clamped.

Another option would be to put a tarpaulin over the car and put a rudamentary drawline and lock to hold it in place. To clamp the car they would need to damage either the lock or the cover, something which I do not believe they are entitled to do.

(Yes, I am making these things up as I go along!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Zascar wrote:
    I was advised the same on aother forum. A guy saud he got an angle grinder and took it off. Got a call a few weeks alter from them asking for their clamp back. He sent it via interlink for free!

I thought you'd get arrested for that sort of behaviour, or a fat fine at least
    Don't believe everything you read on internet forums!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Zascar wrote:
    I just got clamped and I'm pissed. I live on a quiet road in south dublin, the road has lots of terraced houses - none of them have parking spaces, so everyone parks on the road outside. I've been parking there, along with dozens of other cars, every day for the last year, and today they clamp me! Only me, none of the many other cars were clamped. I mean what the hell! Its a kind of road where there are almost always free spaces but there are many cars there all the time. I can't say I've ever seen anyone pay for parking, although there is a meter there. There is not much I can do so I paid it, but they say more the car within an hour but oh my god if I got clamped again I'll flip!

sorry, but you fail to say weather your car was illegally parked or not...
    now if its not, I'm sure you have a case and the clamp will be removed.
    if you are illegally parked, would you like to get preferential treatment over every other motorist in the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

if you are illegally parked, would you like to get preferential treatment over every other motorist in the country.

pay and display!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Its very easy to say "Pay and Display" but I'd say it would get mighty expensive, get on to the county council cee what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Would you feel the same if the council came and turned the area outside where you live into a pay & display area, costing up to €34 a day to park??? I thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you feel the same if the council came and turned the area outside where you live into a pay & display area, costing up to €34 a day to park??? I thought not.
    Residential areas aren't made P&D by councils "just like that", it goes through the council area committee, referendum of the residents and then to a vote by the full council. Most residents can get permits for under 100 euro per year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    Most residents can get permits for under 100 euro per year.
    €100 is a bit steep for something other citizens get for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    €100 is a bit steep for something other citizens get for free!
    Parking on the street is a privilege, not a right. If you want free parking then buy a house/apartment with an off-street parking space (there's a reason these cost more.)

The usual reason P+D is brought in in a residential area is to prevent the street being filled with the cars of commuters, shoppers etc.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement