Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped... oh come on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flip side is some people have to pay 40 grand in the city centre to buy a space.

Parking is in limited supply. It has to be rationed somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Would you feel the same if the council came and turned the area outside where you live into a pay & display area, costing up to €34 a day to park??? I thought not.

you can get a residents permit to park out side your house...

so yes i would... it would stop non residents parking outside my house...

I PMed Zascar and this is an edited version.
    Victor wrote:
    Zascar wrote:
    Thanks, I live on ............ in ..........
    OK, definitely the city council you need to talk to.

What you are looking for is a resident's permit (Part III of the bye-laws). They may give you some visitor's permits (part IV of the bye-laws) to cover you while your application is being processed. http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Bye-Laws%202005%20as%20adopted%20May%2005_tcm35-12820.pdf

The rules are very specific about what you need to get a resident's permit. Car insurance certificate in your name at that address, car registered there, etc. Utility bill or similar to prove youa re living there. It is very strict to stop scamming. Fee would be 70 euro per year.

In the mean time, find somewhere nearby that won't get you clamped. the village has P&D, but ........... Road is the general limit of P&D.

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/by_car/parking/

Once you get yourself sorted, if you wish, try to appeal here: http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/by_car/parking/clamping_and_tow-away_appeals_service.asp

I, um, helped write the 2003 bye-laws :o:

Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninja900 wrote:
    Parking on the street is a privilege, not a right. If you want free parking then buy a house/apartment with an off-street parking space (there's a reason these cost more.)

Unless you are of the opinion that city dwellers are somehow less entitled to own a car than others, I would have thought the ability of a resident to park his or her car in the neighbourhood is closer to the "right" side of things.

The attitude taken by Cork City Council to parking permits is beyond a joke, and according to some unlawful. Here for a rather amusing account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Zascar wrote:
    I was advised the same on aother forum. A guy saud he got an angle grinder and took it off. Got a call a few weeks alter from them asking for their clamp back. He sent it via interlink for free!

Sounds fishy and is quite the urban myth alright. Do you have any idea how hard/easy it is to remove a clamp with an angle grinder without damaging your wheel/tyre in the process? Unless you're built like a brick sh1thouse, an angle grinder is extremely difficult to control in the position you'd have to hold it to cut the bars - you'd no sooner grind your tyre and make a nasty scuff on your alloys :rolleyes:

Now with the angle grinder-sized (110V version with 12V in -car adapter) of one these babies...

CDC_animated.gif

Carbide-tipped = no sparks and twin blades = no 'recoil' whatsoever. Got one (clamp) off in the UK several years ago in 20 secs flat :D And made Court as a result. And got away with it. ;) (and for the little story, and prevent mucho flamo, the car was not on public land/road, it had been unlawfully clamped on private land but the clampers didn't want to know d1ck about removing it at no charge - so they got it for one clamp and Court fees :D)

Of course, you should always P&D. I do whenever I use the car (which is not very often at all - get a bike and the problem will be mostly solved :) )

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    Unless you are of the opinion that city dwellers are somehow less entitled to own a car than others, I would have thought the ability of a resident to park his or her car in the neighbourhood is closer to the "right" side of things.
    Exactly. Who should be able to park on residential city streets? The residents or commuters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

you can get a residents permit to park out side your house...

so yes i would... it would stop non residents parking outside my house...

Not in all circumstances. I think if you live in a house that has been split up into apartments there is only one permit for the house. That leaves 3 or 4 other people having to pay for parking.

Not in all circumstances. I think if you live in a house that has been split up into apartments there is only one permit for the house. That leaves 3 or 4 other people having to pay for parking.
    No, one per residence, up to 4 per building.

Victor wrote:
    No, one per residence, up to 4 per building.
    Ok. What about apartment blocks (where no private parking spaces are provided)?

The simple answer is read the bye-laws. :D

No new apartment block would get planning for no parking. Existing ones may get some leniency.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    The simple answer is read the bye-laws. :D

No new apartment block would get planning for no parking. Existing ones may get some leniency.
    Okie dokie. Thanks.

don't move in to one without parking...

don't move in to one without parking...
    "I'm alright jack"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

"I'm alright jack"

If you want to drive, you'll need a car. In exactly the same way, if you want to park you'll need a space. Would you move into a house without a kitchen and expect to cook at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

maidhc wrote:
    Actually, nobody has the "right" to park a vehicle in a public place wherever and whenever they please. The fact that laws and bye-laws on parking are often not enforced doesn't mean they don't exist.

I can't figure out why Newstalk 106 does "beat the clampers" and how they get away with it. I doubt they'd get away with "beat the breathalyzer" or "beat the speed trap" but illegal parking is somehow ok?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh No! The Moral Nazi's are here! Run Everybody, Run!

Zascar wrote:
    Yup, it's a joke isn't it.

I'm sure a lot of these "you must follow all rules and regulation" Nazis have a policy in their Job/College of not using the internet for non-business use but that rule is conviently overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yup, it's a joke isn't it.

I'm sure a lot of these "you must follow all rules and regulation" Nazis have a policy in their Job/College of not using the internet for non-business use but that rule is conviently overlooked.

That's a cop out if ever I saw one. You might be better served by addressing their arguments, don't you think?:)

Zascar wrote:

wow... would you like a burger with that chip...

any way, dont forget to pay your fine,
    oh and if you do decide to cut your next clamp off (because by the looks of it your easy money for them now)... they have the right to do you for criminal damage.

Zascar wrote:
    :rolleyes: ^1000

The ONLY reason clamping etc. was introduced in Dublin was because motorists, collectively, could not or would not park responsibly and legally without it.

If it was your driveway being obstructed every day by ignorant commuters / shoppers / Luas P+R fee dodgers then I'm pretty sure you'd have something to say about that. Or an ambulance or fire engine coming to attend to your house which was blocked by illegally parked cars...

I don't know about other councils, but Dublin City Council actually makes a loss on pay and display parking and clamping. They do it to better manage a limited resource in the interests of everyone. If you have a problem with that then take it up with one of your local county councillors (you do vote in local elections, don't you?)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

any way, dont forget to pay your fine,
    oh and if you do decide to cut your next clamp off (because by the looks of it your easy money for them now)... they have the right to do you for criminal damage.
    Already paid, and no I'd never go to those lengths, it would be funny though!

I've no problem with clamping and towing when someone is blocking somehting or parked badly... but to clamp me twice in 1 week for parking in the same spot I have for the last year, right outsode my house where there are Always plenty of free spaces... its not like I am not taking up spaces needed my anyone else... Surely there are 100's of cars more worthy of a clamp than me! Go clamp someone thats overstayed their time in the city centre where sometiems you have to soend 20 minutes trying to find a free space, that would be more realistic use of the service in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ninja900 wrote:
    The ONLY reason clamping etc. was introduced in Dublin was because motorists, collectively, could not or would not park responsibly and legally without it.
    Simply not true. It was introduced because the perfectly adequate parking laws as they existed at the time were not being enforced. They couldn't find the will to enforce them so they put a fresh spin on them by clamping. Anything the UK does will soon be aped in Ireland.

Hagar, what on earth is clamping if it is NOT a means of enforcing the parking law?
    It's not revenue generation, as Dublin City Council make a loss on it.

It was a NEW law. The old law "don't park on yellow lines" was simply not being enforced with any vigour. Single yellow or double yellow, doesn't matter, they were not enforced.

I never mentioned revenue so I won't be drawn on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To the OP, when I sold my old car and got the new one- the disk was still in the old one, forgot about it when making the sale, I parked on my street and got clamped also.

Was pretty anoyed too as I did pay for the right to park there for two years.
    Booked a day off work as had to get it sorted as nowhere else to park free.

Went to the place in the Civic offices, got an earful from the "nice lady.." saying why didnt I have the old permit..I was EXTREMELY PISSED at getting fined in the first place(late for work and having to stand around for 1.5hours waiting for the clampers to arrive despite being advised they should be there in under 45 mins), now was being told they wouldn't give me a new permit (the online site says its a 10 euro charge for non returned old permits..which I had no beef with ) without the old one.
    I demanded to speak to her supervisor and frankly was so angry my face was probably beetroot red at this point..she just said ok, charged me the 10 euro and that was that - she made a huge huffing and puffing about updating the clampers database for the old reg (why didn't this fupping database already have the owners names on it and the related parking entitlements??!!)...not that this mattered one iota to me.

Would be nice if when you register your new car that your permits are automatically updated also..but then thats cloud cuckoo land thinking..such efficiency doesn't happen here.

As to claiming back your fine..forget it..suck it up and move on!! (preferably to somewhere which doesn't have parking charges).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

AAAh the old story.... the "Ah Sure" syndrome.... Ah sure jahsus...Iv'e parked here for yonks and didn't bother to check the regulations....

Pay your fine and stop whinging

Hagar wrote:
    It was a NEW law. The old law "don't park on yellow lines" was simply not being enforced with any vigour. Single yellow or double yellow, doesn't matter, they were not enforced.

I never mentioned revenue so I won't be drawn on that.

they wouldn't have to be enforced if the laws were obeyed...

jezzzzus...talk about blame somebody else

they wouldn't have to be enforced if the laws were obeyed...

jezzzzus...talk about blame somebody else

You have lost me there. Who am I blaming?

I am just making the point that the laws were not being obeyed or enforced so instead of doing their duty and enforcing existing laws they just papered over their failings with new laws.

I am not advocating or condoning any sort of law breaking and I have never been clamped or towed.

Hagar wrote:
    You have lost me there. Who am I blaming?

I am just making the point that the laws were not being obeyed or enforced so instead of doing their duty and enforcing existing laws they just papered over their failings with new laws.

I am not advocating or condoning any sort of law breaking and I have never been clamped or towed.

ok sorry, i stand corrected.

didn't read your post correctly, i missed obeyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Zascar wrote:
    but to clamp me twice in 1 week for parking in the same spot I have for the last year, right outsode my house where there are Always plenty of free spaces
    Why do you think there are plenty of spacess?
    Because people know that they wil be clamped if they park there and wouldn't pay. Would you prefer if the parking was free, but you couldn't find a free space, because commuters and shoppers would park there for free. That is the main reason, why Park & Display is introduced in residencial areas, to prevent outsiders to park there all day for free.

Advertisement