Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallic Electrical fittings

Options
  • 31-05-2006 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of selling my apartment and was thinking of changing all the sockets and switches from bakelite (or whatever plastic it is) to metallic finish; eg. brass (outer or solid), brushed aluminium etc.

My girlfriend and a few people I've asked think this is a good idea; until a girl I work with said it would put her off a property.

She said she would be nervous of them and preferred plastic.

Anyone got strong opinions on this? Is it a waste of money? Anyone tried this and can recommend either? Supporting arguments would be very much appreciated.

Electrical Fittings - which kind? 18 votes

Outer plastic/bakelite
    0% 0 votes
    Outer Brushed Aluminium
    22% 4 votes
    Outer Brass (rest is plastic + contacts)
    55% 10 votes
    Solid Brass with insulated socket core
    11% 2 votes
    No change
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

You need to think about who your appartment would suit. If it is proffessionals then a modern approach like alminium. Plastic to be safe and a twee approach is brass.

I am sure you could spend the money better like a new carpet through out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I voted for brushed aluminium.
    What FillSpectre said is right though.
    Changing the electrical fittings is not the best possible way to maximise your possible selling price. A fresh coat of paint in neutral colours, a very good cleaning throughout and possibly new carpets, would be far better investments.

Personally I like brushed aluminium. If I bought a house with brass fittings / copper fittings, I would be very tempted to change them to brushed aluminium at my earliest opportunity. I just do not like them.

Vis- bakelite, its boring, but reliable. I'd be more worried about whether I had to repaint a room than about the electrical/light sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Am aiming to sell to couple in late 20's - 30's with 0/1 children (2 bed).

The reason is estate agent thinks no-lift stairs only 2nd floor is a problem.

Am doing complete re-deco - no masking tape all sockets/switches out for paint job. Plaster (hand) sanded to perfection (power tools can do damage here) before painting begins.

I am aiming to create a "move-into-me-now" apartment. Think €200 - €300 is worth it extra for electricals as will be on market in show-house condition.

Just now need more votes over to replace electrical stuff, with brass (not solid)/ brushed aluminium.

More opinions please.

Am swayed by McC/Spectre - but need more opinions tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

You don't normally take switches and sockets to paint. you might lossen them but wouldn't disconnect them.

How old is the place and what is the general design of the building? e.g. neo classical, modern etc...

While the appartment is self conatined the buildings appeal and the appartment should match where possible. The young couple aspect would make me aviod brass more and a child would make me say plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Money wasted in my opinion. If you gotta spend the money then spend it on something that might help sell the house but that you can take with you when you leave. Plants, furniture, paintings etc etc.

I voted for Brushed Aluminium just 'cos I like to look of them but I would not buy a house just because they were in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 addie

squire1 wrote:
    Money wasted in my opinion. If you gotta spend the money then spend it on something that might help sell the house but that you can take with you when you leave. Plants, furniture, paintings etc etc.

I voted for Brushed Aluminium just 'cos I like to look of them but I would not buy a house just because they were in it.

My thoughts too. Also, when househunting a few months ago I viewed about a dozen different houses and I didn't even notice what sort of sockets or switches anywhere had.

If someone likes your place, electrical fittings won't be a deal breaker. However, homely touches like what the Squire mentioned above (plants, fresh flowers, etc.) can lend a lovely feeling to a place and from my own experience at least, if a place has a good welcoming vibe about it buyers will view it a lot more favourably. While a lot of people easily see past cosmetic features, a place with a nice feel about it can have a big impact on a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've added the option of "no change". Most people really don't care what type of socket they have if its an existing one and would only pay extra if they were rewiring.

Metal sockets have no safety disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Why don't you approach a professional an interior designer who could help you prepare your apartment for sale?

for example one company (which I am affiliated with) is www.HomeInteriors.ie
    Im sure if you google you could find many more.

Personally, i'd say leave the switches as they are, and spend the money on a paint job and de-clutter the apartment of excess furniture.

Cheers
    Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fintan wrote:
    Why don't you approach a professional an interior designer who could help you prepare your apartment for sale?
    Why not leave wads of 50 euro notes around during viewing. Might work out cheaper. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Victor wrote:
    Why not leave wads of 50 euro notes around during viewing. Might work out cheaper. :p

:) Why buy the house if you have left wads fo 50's lying around? Just keeping making excuses to view!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

going on my apartment, you'd need about 40 items, between sockets and switches, going on an average of €10 per item, It'd be unlikely that you'll make the money back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

When organising viewings most estate agents go in ahead of the potential buyers to turn on all the lights etc. - I really think that electrical fittings etc. are the last thing that anyone would notice. I would rather see somewhere that's spotlessly clean, bright and fresh. I agree with the previous poster - a good cleaning and a lick of paint would be money better spent!

But since you ask, not so keen on brushed aluminium, they remind me of work!

Advertisement