Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal for 1 mini dish on house, but 2??

• 01-06-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi there, been away a while-but BB in now wahoooooo!!!!!!!!

But can anyone tell me why u see two minidishes installed on a house?
    I didnt think much of when i was travelling through donegal a few weeks ago but when u see it done up the road from you, ya begin to think-dont ya!

Surely it cant be for multiroom. This is what i was thinking is it just a measure to keep the FTA CHANNELS in OTHER CHANNELS as its not available on the SKY+ BOX. But thats debatable & thats why i posted it here.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

kduffy wrote:
    Hi there, been away a while-but BB in now wahoooooo!!!!!!!!

But can anyone tell me why u see two minidishes installed on a house?
    I didnt think much of when i was travelling through donegal a few weeks ago but when u see it done up the road from you, ya begin to think-dont ya!

Surely it cant be for multiroom. This is what i was thinking is it just a measure to keep the FTA CHANNELS in OTHER CHANNELS as its not available on the SKY+ BOX. But thats debatable & thats why i posted it here.

Regards

One story I've heard, from people it has happened to, is that when your sky box dies, it's easier (and cheaper) to cancel your sky subscription and sign up in a new name, rather than getting it fixed as part of your existing subscription. Some sky fitters won't simply connect a new box (on a new account) into an existing dish. It's a bit ludicrous.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some houses have 2 dishes, from back in the days when Quad LNB's* weren't readily available for Sky dishes, and Sky didn't offer a Multiroom service.

Some got a second subscription for a second room, thus the second dish.

Of course nowadays, all ya need to do is change the standard LNB (this is the thing the cable goes into on the front of the dish) for a Quad LNB, which allows 4 outputs from one dish.

And just recently, Sky have announced an Octo LNB* (yes, 8 outputs) that'll be compatible with a Sky Minidish.

*These have been available a long time, just weren't made to fit Sky's dish assembly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kduffy

Hi byte

Thanks for your reply:

So what you're sayin the quad lnb's include the old dishes & the new mini-dishes together, yeah i understand that :cool: -i see that in the back of some of the pubs.

But does the same go for 2 minidishes side by side :confused:
    I honestly thought it had something to with havin $ky (other channels) & $ky+ together :) .
    Its something ill be considering what to do when the time comes/when the $ky+ sub is done away with!
    Was it done away with in UK ??

byte

The reasons may depend from house to house. Some may have the second dish pointing at a different satellite in the sky, like Astra1 or something (SKy uses Astra2/Eurobird).

A Sky dish will also work fine with a free-to-air receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kduffy

It could very well be :) !.

The 2 are pointin at the same direction-yeah i know $ky is using the Astra2D satellite.
    Ah maybe im too suspicious for it to be innocent enough. :cool:
    Hey, :) if i see the guy at the w/end ill ask him-he works in l'kenny durin wk.

Whatabout $ky+ sub has it gone yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A house near me has four dishes. Three are on the side wall and there is a large one (about 3 meters diameter) in the lawn. AFAIK the occupants are 'foreign' so I presume it is for receiving their home channels?

byte

kduffy wrote:
    Whatabout $ky+ sub has it gone yet !
    Uhm, not fully, no.

If you subscribe to 2 or more premium channels, then you don't pay the additional sub (eg. Sky Sports 1 + Sky Sports 2). Otherwise you pay the extra €15 per month sub.

byte

A house near me has four dishes. Three are on the side wall and there is a large one (about 3 meters diameter) in the lawn. AFAIK the occupants are 'foreign' so I presume it is for receiving their home channels?
    Yup, they may be picking up their native channels from different satellites.

There is a possibility that the 3m dish is motorised, for scanning the satellites.

Could be satellite enthusiasts!

Unfortunately, I doubt if my landlord or neighbours would appreciate my having a dish farm in my back yard! :)

Advertisement