Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN appeals for Palestinian funds

Options
  • 01-06-2006 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

no doubt this thread has been entered before, and if somebody knows the thread title pass it on and i'll have a look, im really interested to know what people think. The treatment of the Palestinians since the Hamas-led government has come to power is nothing short of disgraceful. Countries are cutting aid, people are beginning to go hungrey and selling their belongings to survive. Before Hamas got into power officially, they had been doing most of the day to day running of the country. if you wanted a road built you asked Hamas if wanted school supplies you asked Hamas. Now that they are in power using a very democratic system i might add the citizens are being punished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Modo06 wrote:
    no doubt this thread has been entered before, and if somebody knows the thread title pass it on and i'll have a look, im really interested to know what people think. The treatment of the Palestinians since the Hamas-led government has come to power is nothing short of disgraceful. Countries are cutting aid, people are beginning to go hungrey and selling their belongings to survive. Before Hamas got into power officially, they had been doing most of the day to day running of the country. if you wanted a road built you asked Hamas if wanted school supplies you asked Hamas. Now that they are in power using a very democratic system i might add the citizens are being punished.

Well, large numbers of the citizens voted for people who think suicide bombing of nightclubs, hotels, bars, busses etc is a good thing that will somehow bring them victory over Israel. That is their choice.
    However, if you dole out money directly to Hamas (by giving it to the PA, which they now control) are you not supporting or condoning that choice?
    Do you want to make EU taxpayers complicit in suicide bombing and terrorist attacks on civilians?

Some of the oil-rich countries in the region should stump up the money for Hamas and the PA if they care so much.

Or perhaps the US seeing as their "our buddies Israel right-or-wrong" policy over the decades has contributed to what is going on there.:rolleyes:

Why should European countries in particular have to continue to sink money into a Hamas-led PA only to get criticism from the US for "supporting terrorism"?

It's not like any of those oil-rich muslim countries (or even many of the Palestinians) are going to be grateful [judging by how they can decide to crucify two of the most humanitarian and generally "good" countries on Earth over blasted Prophet Mohammed cartoons published in their newspapers].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

fly_agaric wrote:
    Do you want to make EU taxpayers complicit in suicide bombing and terrorist attacks on civilians?
    Hamas have observed a ceasefire for many months now (not sure how long - well over a year I think). This in the face of constant Israeli provocation BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Yet they refuse to denounce suicide bomb attacks. I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to give them my money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If Hamas was to denounce terrorism, then would they be in a better position to serve as the elected representatives of their people, as well as become eligible to receive funding for their citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well said!!!!! Everyone has to wake up to the fact that they are terroists, they are seeking to destory Israle by whatever means necessary! Even if that means killing their own people and themsleves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hamas have observed a ceasefire for many months now (not sure how long - well over a year I think). This in the face of constant Israeli provocation BTW.

They are still a terrorist organisation. As for Israel, I'd prefer it if EU countries had nothing to do with them at all in terms of trade, diplomacy etc. If SA could be made a pariah state for their racist policies why not Israel?

The Palestinians need help very badly but I wouldn't agree with trying to do this by giving money directly to the PA/Hamas with the PA/Hamas having control of how it is disbursed the way Arafat and co. had when they were in charge of the PA.

I wonder what happened to that Palestinian tax-rebate money which the Israeli govt. will trouser instead of giving it to the PA?
    No hope they'll give it to the UN for the Palestinians or something.:rolleyes:

http://www.slate.com/id/2136484/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Well said!!!!! Everyone has to wake up to the fact that they are terroists,!
    How are they terrorists if they are not involved in violence? Because the US and Israel say so?
    they are seeking to destory Israle by whatever means necessary!
    Are they? How? The only weapon they seem to be using is words - the weapon which Israel has shown for many decades that they fear the most
    Even if that means killing their own people and themsleves!
    ?

If Hamas condemned 'terrorism', the US and Israel would simply find new grounds to ignore them - such as recognising Israel (ironically while Israel refuses to recognise Palestine - which was founded by the same UN resolution founding Israel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Modo06

you call them terrorists, but to local people they are often heros. Fine if your so appalled by them supporting suicide bombers ask your yourself this "what drove then into this position?" years and years of oppression.

Advertisement