Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage

• 01-06-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I got involved in another thread yesterday and I ended up talking about my cousin's relationship with his partner. Now I know that this might touch a nerve with some of you reading this, it certainly did with me, so please do not take any offence and excuse my ignorance of these matters. I'm sure I will phrase something badly, if I do, please make allowances.

My cousin could kindly be described as "a bit slow". Quite capable in most ways, just a bit slow. His girlfriend, who was wheelchair bound, had disbilities which precluded her every having children by any means. Basically my cousin was refused permission by the Catholic Church to marry his girlfriend because the marriage could not be consumated. This denial of the dignity of a Church wedding robbed them of a "proper" wedding and her of her of the big day she wanted just like any other young girl. She has died recently and I suppose I'm a bit raw about the whole thing.

Like many people I suppose I didn't realise until then, the other impacts of a disability. Are injustices like this perpetrated on people all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Hager,

As a canvasser for disability equality I have never in my life heard such shi*e from an institution(The church). I am sorry to hear about the fact the lady in question has died, I would love to have highlighted such a story in the media, yet again another reason why I have such problems with the church.

May she rest in peace.
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm sorry for the loss Hagar. I never knew such idiocy existed. If that happened to me or someone important to me, it would be the final straw that would make me turn my back on the church for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Im sorry for your loss Hagar.
    I am also sorry you had to witness the ridiculous farce that is the catholic church at such a delicate time.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for your support, it's very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tiny winy

me im in troble i need a cane, often cant walk, people think im putting it on, what have i got to do i do not expect help just to be accepted, ive got a pension, but people think im putting it on

• Advertisement
Advertisement